Delaware

Check- parents' gifts!

All the parents had asked for no gifts, so we weren't going to get them alot, but wanted to get them something nice, maybe sentimental.

I saw this online, and thought it was a decent price on sale (regularly $43, on sale usually for $30):
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=380615

We thought it would be nice because we could put the invitation in one side, and then let each parent choose a picture of their liking after the wedding.

Well, we went to Macy's tonight to return something, and while browsing around saw these.  And the sign for these.  The pricing on the sign?  $19.  SOLD.  We double checked pricing and double checked that this frame was the only double frame, and then grabbed 4.

Well, we get up to the register and the lady is scanning, and I ask what they are ringing up.  $43- original price.  No, no, I say, they are listed on sale for $19.  I show her where- and she agrees that it was a store mistake, and will honor the listed sale price.  AWESOME!!!

So, instead of paying $172, we paid $76.  And all the parents are going to love them.

Re: Check- parents' gifts!

• EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that's awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very pretty!  I'm so stumped on gifts for everyone.  I think FI has figured out what he wants to get the guys, but even that's not finalized yet.

• edited December 2011
    Dibs- you mean in terms of bridal party gifts? 

If that is what you mean, hopefully my philosophy and what I got my girls will help you (we haven't done boys yet, but the same philosophy will apply).

We really wanted to get our BP gifts that were not only fun, but useful and tailored to each person.  All of them begged us not to get the typical gifts that all girls get, and not to get them junk- none of them needed that!  I challenged myself not only to get stuff for them that they would love and use, but not spend a boatload of cash on items, either.

So began the search for gifts.  I knew that I wanted to do some sort of bag for each girl, and put the other girls into her bag.

For our Best Maid (FI's girl attendant), he did ask me to step in and take charge of this one- while they are close, he is still a guy after all.  I knew she loved Vera, and when a Vera sale came up on RueLaLa, I was able to get her a Vera Bradley purse for $15 (originally $58!!).  Since she works in politics, I wanted to get her something that wasn't crazy big, but would still hold the essentials, and fit in with an office/put together/polished look.  It's large enough to hold everything, but isn't overwhelming.  We then stopped on a whim at the Lancaster outlets on the way home from a trip.  We stopped into Coach (always!), and they were having a 50% off sale, plus an additional 20% off coupon.  We were able to find her a leather legal pad holder/portfolio, a passport case (her family is Greek, like off the boat, and they travel overseas often to visit family), and a cheery yellow umbrella (she's on the campaign trail alot for local candidates, and we knew her other umbrella was in sad shape).  With the discounts, we were able to get everything for less than $100, and declared her gifts done.

For my sisters/maid and matron, my older/matron had requested a Lands End/LL Bean tote with her initials.  She didn't want a fake, because she had gotten one before and it had fallen apart on her; she wanted something she could trust.  My younger sister liked the look and stability of the bag, and since she is moving to Philly for Pharm school, liked the idea of having one to use for things like groceries and the like.  My mom gets the emails, and we watched the sales.  We were able to get both girls bags, plus one for my mom, in size medium (which is a substantial size!), with free shipping and reduced cost of the bags.  I think we paid $22 dollars for each bag, and they are gauranteed for life.

For my older sister, she is much more relaxed, and loves any type of useful gift that is new and meant for her (she has 5 kids and money is tight, so often it's Goodwill or the gifts are stuff the kids need).  I decided to get her a Life Is Good shirt and matching mug; the shirt is something she will never buy for herself, is very comfy and high quality, and has a saying on it that fits her perfectly.  I got her the mug because she loves her tea, but all her mugs are chipped or ones from Goodwill, so I wanted her to have a nice, new one.  The shirt and mug match; we got the mug at Cabela's on sale after Christmas, and the shirt at the Rehoboth Boardwalk at a sidewalk sale on sale, 20% off.There is something else I got her, but for the life of me cannot remember; the stuff is at my mom's, and we are getting it tonight, I will edit this when I know what it is!

My younger sister is much more "spicy", I guess you could say.  She loves to go out, make herself look pretty, all that.  While at the Rehoboth Sidewalk Sale, I came across this little spa boutique that had a ton of OPI nail polishes on sale- they were the little travel ones that my sister loves!  If you know OPI and nail polish, you know that stuffs not cheap.  I managed to get her 6 or 7 polishes, plus a top coat (all in the mini sizes), for $11!  A few stores down was a shoe store participating as well; my sister loves flip flops, especially Eliza B's (which can run $40-50+).  I found a pair of Eliza B's, in her size, for $15!

In addition to the tailored gifts, I also decided to get the girls each 3 things of the PocketBacs (with holders) from Bath and Body Works, as all of them are self-proclaimed germaphobes.  Then, I decided to get them all some stationery, but tailor it to them.  I got my younger sister lots of Post-it type notes, since she is obsessed with them; I got my older sister little notecards and notes with magnets, since she's a mom who writes lists and teacher notes.  I got the best maid a set of nice notecards.  I scoured the stores for cute stuff; most of it was bought either on sale or at Marshall's, where the stuff was a decent price anyway.  They are also each getting a package of cute wedding tissues that I found for a steal.

Finally, each girl is getting two pieces of jewelry, both of which I made.  Since I learned to make my own jewelry, my costs of buying stuff has gone way, way down.  I had to invest in the tools and the cases to hold the beads, but once I had that stuff, the world was mine.  I buy all my beads at bead shows (specifically the one at the Valley Forge Convention Center, it happened this last weekend).  I am making each girl a pearl bracelet that ties with ribbon instead of a clasp; the pearls were $6 for a strand at the show (and yes, they are real, lol).  The other one is a bangle bracelet that has the Pandora-type beads, and I got all the stuff for those at the bead show as well; I think they ended up costing maybe $8 a bracelet (the bangle was a little more since it's silver).  Throw in some other odds and ends that I cannot for the life of me remember, and there ya go, the gifts are done!

I know that was long, but hopefully it helps you out.  I really suggest doing gifts that are tailored; you will find not only will they get used and be appreciated more, but that in the end, it ends up being cheaper because you can scour for deals.  Let me know if you have any questions, or need suggestions of places to look for different items, and hopefully I can give some advice that helps!
    edited December 2011

Tailoring the gifts is what really has me stumped.  My two sisters (and maybe my cousin) could be easy to buy for.  But I have no idea what to buy for his two sisters, and he's no help at all!  And I'd hate for it to look like I put a ton of thought into my sisters gifts and then everyone else just got the standard BM gifts.

I've tried the whole, what would you buy them for their birthday route, but all he tells me is that he wouldn't buy them gifts for their birthday.  I just feel like none of them need yet another bag, wristlet, or wallet.  Same goes for stationery, lotions, and spa essentials.

I've already made them pearl necklaces & bracelets (depending on their dress style) and I'm paying for them to get their hair done, but those aren't exactly gifts to them.

So my search continues!

• edited December 2011
    Hmmm.  Have you talked to FMIL?

I will be honest, I went to my sisters.  I wanted to know first hand their interests; what would they use, what would gather dust/get thrown away?  They actually both said that they were really happy I did that because they knew that they had given me ideas, and even though they don't know what exactly they are getting, they know that I am not going to get them something that is junk.

Maybe try asking them what are their interests?  Do they play any sports, or are involved in any activities (like FBIL, he is big into Boy Scouts and just got his Eagle, so we will likely be getting him the frame for his Eagle Certificate and some camping stuff).  Do they have any hobbies, or are they obsessed with a certain brand?  What about useful stuff- is there something that they do all the time that requires tools, and while it may seem boring to buy them for gifts would actually be helpful (like my BIL- he loves his Harley (long story, but yeah he has a Harley.  It was a family handmedown).  My sister said to get him motorcycle gloves- while they aren't that fun, they fulfill a need since he goes thru them so often and he needs them to protect himself).  What about a certain TV show- could you get them perhaps a boxed set?  Or a movie or movie star?

Any of those ideas help?
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You got a great deal!!!! Don't you just love when that stuff happens :)

As for BM gifts.. i'm not even going there yet!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    I guess my only real option is to ask his sisters directly.  They are his only two sisters, so no other sisters to ask, and his mom passed away five years ago.  They're both married but their husbands will probably be just as helpful as FI.  It just feels really awkward to ask them, "so hey, what kind of stuff do you like?".

Another problem is when to ask them.  I probably won't even be seeing them again until the rehearsal which will be too late.

Ugh.  When it comes to the wedding, this is what's stressing me out most right now.

Yell

• edited December 2011
    How about sending them an email?  Either way, telephone or email, word it something like this:

I wanted to talk to you both about bridal party gifts, because I want to get you both something you want, like, and will use, and don't want to get you junk.  Is there anything in particular you would like?  If you could list several things, both large and small ideas, that would be wonderful; that way, I can keep some element of surprise in it for you gals ;)  Are there any activities or hobbies you have, that I could go off of for ideas?  Anything else that you think might be helpful?  I really want to make these gifts count, which is why I am coming to you.  I can't wait to hear what your response will be, so I can start shopping for some great gifts for my awesome bridesmaids!  Thanks for everything you have done, and I can't wait to have you all there to celebrate with FI and I!

Another suggestion would be to email it to ALL the bridesmaids, even if you already know what you are getting your sister/other BM.  If you think they will respond funny, let them in on the secret, and maybe even have them reply to all with their "ideas and hobbies and activities and favorite brands" so that your SILs have an example to follow.  If you do it that way, it won't be as awkward as you think, trust me.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.  Hopefully, FI can handle getting me either their phone numbers or email addresses!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards