New Jersey

Old Tappan Manor

I'm thinking about booking my wedding reception at Old Tappan Manor (formerly Colonial Manor) in Old Tappan, NJ. However, I can't find any reviews since they just opened after new renovations last summer. The place is absolutely gorgeous but I'm curious about the food and service. Has anyone gone for a tasting or attended a wedding here? Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Re: Old Tappan Manor

• edited December 2011
    I have to say I was excited to see your post - it's always nice to hear about new (or "new") venues, and I was hoping to see something different.

It certainly looks nice, but it's definitely not unique.  Bergen County doesn't need another Rockleigh or Florentine Gardens. Are the prices at this place lower than those two?
  • Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was searching for a Venue I did visit Old Tappan Manor.  My brother got married at their sister location View On The Hudson in Piermont, NY.   You seem to definitely get a lot for your money.  I just didn't fall in love with the place so I ended up not booking there.  However, the food at the View was very good and they had a very good experience with the owners.
  • hopeful523hopeful523 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just visited Old Tappan MLK Jr. weekend and spoke to Alex for nearly an hour. Although the room is beautiful, the grounds only offer a gazebo and small waterfall. The price in Aug 2012 start at $90 pp before tax and services and although it sounds like a lot of food is offered, the place just felt a little off. Perhaps to another future bride this is their location, but as for my fiance and I.. we were put off to the lack of grounds appeal and small cocktail room.
  • edited December 2011
    I just went to Old Tappan as well, and fell in love with the ballroom. my FI is not happy with the size of the cocktail room. He says he feels like it is too small. Alex says it seats about 70 people but we will prob have about 130 . Also, the grounds are limited. But the ballroom is amazing and the price is great!
  • justine5justine5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://yellow.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_old-tappan-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:9b03db1c-a346-48ec-bef0-f46622b53f8fPost:40660898-1a61-4575-9a93-ac6615ac2818">Re: Old Tappan Manor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just visited Old Tappan MLK Jr. weekend and spoke to Alex for nearly an hour. Although the room is beautiful, the grounds only offer a gazebo and small waterfall. The price in Aug 2012 start at $90 pp before tax and services and although it sounds like a lot of food is offered, the place just felt a little off. Perhaps to another future bride this is their location, but as for my fiance and I.. we were put off to the lack of grounds appeal and small cocktail room.
    Posted by hopeful523[/QUOTE]

Yea, I agree. the ballroom is gorgeous but everything else is really so-so, which puts me on the fence. The cocktail room is quite small, but with the foyer, it's a decent size. I priced for a Sat in Sept 2012 and it was $110 before tax.
    I can't find any reviews as far as food and service go which makes me nervous. And they don't allow tastings until after you put down a deposit. However, they claim that if you aren't satisfied with the tasting, you will get your deposit money back. (I'd like to get that in writing though)....
  • justine5justine5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://yellow.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_old-tappan-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:9b03db1c-a346-48ec-bef0-f46622b53f8fPost:7bebe353-24b8-4f40-bd57-6649ad3e4f7f">Re: Old Tappan Manor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to say I was excited to see your post - it's always nice to hear about new (or "new") venues, and I was hoping to see something different. It certainly looks nice, but it's definitely not unique.  Bergen County doesn't need another Rockleigh or Florentine Gardens. Are the prices at this place lower than those two?
    Posted by 37 Butter Knives[/QUOTE]

I'm all about the chandeliers and that's what caught my eye about this place. Other than that, as far as cocktail area and grounds go, they're not as impressive as other places. Old Tappan is trying to undercut prices. They had shut down for a few months (not clear why) and are trying to gain back a customer base. They quoted me $110 for a Sat in Sept 2012. Rockleigh quoted me $140+ and I heard Florentine is around there, if not higher.
  • edited December 2011
    they shut down? since they became old tappan or before? that would make me super nervous! ! 

• edited December 2011
    My Fiance and I visited Old Tappan as well.

We are getting married in October 2012- we are looking around now and starting to get ideas and pricing.

Love the ballroom and for the price we might do our wedding with them. We only have about 130 ppl attending and to have the place to ourselves is something we really want.

I believe the reason they were closed was because of the renovations.

We also have visited The Greycliff, pretty ballroom but tight and narrow and alot of food but the drive past the trailer parks and the gas station right across the street was a big turn off for us.

We would love to do Naninas but we can't meet the minimum.
  • cbelle1231cbelle1231 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had my reception at the colonial Manor right before it became the Old Tappan Manor.  The food was amazing! I did have the current chef, so don't worry. All of my guests raved about everything.  The staff was excellent.  Alex, the maitre' d was ok.  He is "old-school" and likes to do things his way.  Fortunately for me, I am not shy, and explained that although I appreciated his ideas I would rather do things my way.  He was willing to compromise.  The only item he would not compromise on was a chocolate fountain, my husband really wanted one, but they refused to allow it. I did negotiate prices of things and did upgrade a bit, but I did not have a platinum budget.  I stayed well within my budget and my wedding was absolutely awesome!!

• SarahPourSarahPour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my reception at the Old Tappan Manor on October 9, 2010.  I don't have one thing to complain about. I had an absolutely perfect experience with them.  I could not have asked for a better location.  I grew up in Old Tappan and never imagined I would have my wedding reception there until they renovated it. I booked based on the drawings of what it would look like, Alex's personality and the food.  

I would higly recommend this place to anyone.

Yes the cocktail area is a bit small, but my guests were split between the cocktail room and thebar in the main lobby. I had 200 guests and everyone fit perfectly.

An absolute must for cocktail hour is the Mashed Potato Bar. 

Please message me if you have questions. I have a much lengthier review and can answer anything....

Please don't hesitate!

• samwitch28samwitch28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    pricing for Old Tappan manor is definitely lower than Rockleigh or Florentine Gardens. I just went there and it's gorgeous and the cost is much less than those two places.
  • BrownBlissBrownBliss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Was Alex the Maitre d' at your wedding? How was he? I'm thinking about booking the Old Tappan Manor for my Wedding? Thx
  • edited December 2011
    Would love to hear more about the food and any other pros and cons!
  • Same here, would love to hear reviews of a current wedding there. It's good value- I was quoted $105 for a Fri in Oct.& everything they offer is what I'm looking for (& other similar venues charged a lot more for). I'm not in love with the grounds- pretty generic but I like that it's one big space we'll have all to ourselves for the wedding. I just don't know where we'll have the ceremony since we can't do outdoors there. I originally wanted a rustic wedding but cannot find anywhere reasonably priced & in close proximity to most of my guests, I'm touring Bear Mountain Inn tomorrow. But if nothing else works out Old Tappan Manor is def a contender - I'll just go with a classic/elegant thing. But I'd love to hear food & logisitcs reviews! Thanks all :)
  • I know I'm a little late with this posting but my fiance and I booked the Old Tappan Manor for May of 2014. Martin, who helped us was absolutely AMAZING! They have actually extended the cocktail room and raised the ceilings and are in the process of sprusing up the grounds. I am so excited to have my 175 people wedding here! The food is delicious and the staff is very very accomidating to not only what the bride and groom want, but to what the guests have requests for as well. We looked at other venues but for the money and the "WOW" factor of the grand ball room I wouldn't go anywhere else! The LED lighting is also an amazing add on and definitely sets the mood for the night. Actually last night my fiance had his firehouse annual dinner at The View in Piermont, which is their sister company. The night went off without a hitch and the food was perfect! The Old Tappan Manor is their "higher up" facility as their are about $10-$20 more a head so I have not a doubt in my mind that their events are spectacular. But as for prices go, we were quoted and signed a contract to a May 16, 2014 wedding at 2013 pricing. It was $115 a head plus tax and gratuity. I recomend this place to anyone in the Hudson Valley Region who is getting married in 2013 or 2014, amazing staff and great venue!
  • I know I'm a little late with this posting but my fiance and I booked the Old Tappan Manor for May of 2014. Martin, who helped us was absolutely AMAZING! They have actually extended the cocktail room and raised the ceilings and are in the process of sprusing up the grounds. I am so excited to have my 175 people wedding here! The food is delicious and the staff is very very accomidating to not only what the bride and groom want, but to what the guests have requests for as well. We looked at other venues but for the money and the "WOW" factor of the grand ball room I wouldn't go anywhere else! The LED lighting is also an amazing add on and definitely sets the mood for the night. Actually last night my fiance had his firehouse annual dinner at The View in Piermont, which is their sister company. The night went off without a hitch and the food was perfect! The Old Tappan Manor is their "higher up" facility as their are about $10-$20 more a head so I have not a doubt in my mind that their events are spectacular. But as for prices go, we were quoted and signed a contract to a May 16, 2014 wedding at 2013 pricing. It was $115 a head plus tax and gratuity. I recomend this place to anyone in the Hudson Valley Region who is getting married in 2013 or 2014, amazing staff and great venue!
  • <div>I agree with your post. Martin has been amazing thus far as well. My fiance and I are booked for March 2013. We booked min 200 at 90+ tax(s) for a Saturday evening. My fiance and I also looked at other venues in the area. I was becoming extremely discouraged when I happened to stumble across the Old Tappan Manor at the last minute (thanks to my co-worker who randomly thought about it). Rockleigh ($210pp for a saturday evening, Florentine 140pp for sat eve). We were able to do a tasting once we put our deposit down. When we went for our tasting in April they were in the process of beginning expansion of the cocktail area. I too would recommend The Old Tappan Manor.  I'll let you know how it all works out next year!</div><div>
    </div><div>please feel free to email me if you have questions.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_old-tappan-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9b03db1c-a346-48ec-bef0-f46622b53f8fPost:c92ca937-3a73-430e-ab81-487d81a1d878">Re: Old Tappan Manor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know I'm a little late with this posting but my fiance and I booked the Old Tappan Manor for May of 2014. Martin, who helped us was absolutely AMAZING! They have actually extended the cocktail room and raised the ceilings and are in the process of sprusing up the grounds. I am so excited to have my 175 people wedding here! The food is delicious and the staff is very very accomidating to not only what the bride and groom want, but to what the guests have requests for as well. We looked at other venues but for the money and the "WOW" factor of the grand ball room I wouldn't go anywhere else! The LED lighting is also an amazing add on and definitely sets the mood for the night. Actually last night my fiance had his firehouse annual dinner at The View in Piermont, which is their sister company. The night went off without a hitch and the food was perfect! The Old Tappan Manor is their "higher up" facility as their are about $10-$20 more a head so I have not a doubt in my mind that their events are spectacular. But as for prices go, we were quoted and signed a contract to a May 16, 2014 wedding at 2013 pricing. It was $115 a head plus tax and gratuity. I recomend this place to anyone in the Hudson Valley Region who is getting married in 2013 or 2014, amazing staff and great venue!
    Posted by BrMf143xx[/QUOTE]
  • I just met with Martin last week and booked my July 2013 wedding.  We were hoping for June but the date we wanted was already booked =( I was quoted $100pp for a friday night 140 people minimum plus tax and grat.  The place is beautful.  They are in the process of adding another 1000 sq ft to the cocktail room and a huge bridal suite.  It should be complete in a few weeks.  Hopefully, when I go for my tasting it will be done and I can see it finished. Once I go for the tasting I will let you all know how the food is.  But from the menu it looks great!
  • My daughter's wedding was at the Old Tappan Manor on July 7,2012.  It was amazing.  The new cocktail room  is beautiful !  The food was excellent.  I received  many compliments on the service and the food.  Every one had a wonderful time .  Martin was wonderful.  The evening was picture perfect.  I would recomend it to anyone.  Great place to have a party!!!
  • We did not get the best service from Old Tappan Manor. The service was incredibly unprofessional and were very upset with the way we were treated. They had made many promises for our wedding and did not deliver. The manager, Joseph does not understand the meaning of customer service. He would screw you over if someone else came in offering more money. I would not reccomend having your wedding at OTM. The good price is explained by the poor quality of serive delivered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards