Chit Chat
Options

Serious Replies Only!

2»

Re: Serious Replies Only!

• Options
    If you sign papers in a courthouse the GOVERNMENT sure as hell considers you to be married. And obviously that part was important to you, or else you would have waited and just had a full religious ceremony (which, in the US, is also recognized by the government, BTW, so no need for two ceremonies).

Also, many people ONLY have a courthouse wedding with a few guests and dinner afterward. And they DO consider that their wedding and see themselves as fully "married." It is disrespectful to say they didn't have a "real wedding" that wasn't good enough for some reason. That is their choice. And my feeling is that if you choose to have a JOP wedding/elopement/DW, you suck it up and live with the consequences of not having 300 of your friends and family members there.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My DH and I got married almost 3 years ago. Due to immigration laws you only have 3 months to get married once you enter the country. I do understand that it is not impossible to plan a wedding in such short time...but it is quite complicated to plan it from another country. This is why we only had a small ceremony at a park and went out to dinner (and then to a night club) for our wedding.
    We decided that we are renewing our vows on our 5th year anniversary. Meaning I will wear a bridal gown and have bridesmaids and a huge reception. I got taken aback by some of your responses. Then....I remember what you asked...

Simply tell your sister to let everyone know that they renewing their vows:
    Wording for the invitations can go something like:

GROOM & BRIDE request the honor of your presence at the renewal of their wedding vows. blah blah blah....

I do agree with everyone that asking for gifts is too selfish & self center. Could make people think that they are having the 'wedding' only to get gifts and not because they want to share their love with friends and family.

;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards