Canada-Ontario

How does your engagement ring and wedding band fit...size question

HI all,

So I just ordered my wedding band and now am concerned I ordered the wrong size (easily fixable no problem).  With finger swelling in the AM and in the summer and then finger shrinking in the cold of Canadian winter, how do you know what size ring to pick?

My engagement ring is a 6.  In the AM it is perfect, in the PM its loose (easily slides up and down my finger to the knuckle but won't go past the knuckle unless I push - no struggle required). 

Questions:
1. Before make a mistake and potentially ruin my antique ring by getting it made half a size smaller, Is there really a huge difference in a half size? 

2. Is your wedding band and engagement ring the same exact size?

What is your experience?

Re: How does your engagement ring and wedding band fit...size question

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI got me a 6 for my engagement ring.  I am a 4.5, lol.  I tried on a 4 and a 4.5 when I went to get it sized, and the 4 was REALLY hard to get off (this was in the spring, in the afternoon).  I got the 4.5 and it slides a bit in the morning but not past the knuckle, and not a lot, and I NEVER worry about it coming off at all - I've been swimming in the lake with it even and it is fine.  My wedding band is the same size.

I think you got a good size.  I would wait a few weeks at least and get used to it, and then decide to keep it or size it smaller.
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fingers change size a lot between winter and summer, plus I've lost weight while engaged (yay!!) so I did end up getting my band a smaller size than my e-ring. I find a noticeable difference in even a half size, and actually they can do quarter size too (which I ended up getting). Really I just tried to find an in-between size that was maybe a little tight in the summer and a little loose in the winter and not a huge problem either way.
  • mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awesome, I think a quarter size might just be the ticket.  Too bad the guy at Spence didn't mention they can make the band in quarter size...something they should explain in addition to all the detail about diamonds.

In either case, they can resize the 5 1/2 ring that I bought for no charge if it is way too tight.  Thank you so much for the input.

Just a note: Check with your own eyes the ring sizers and take your time.  The first ring sizer I tried on was a 6 and it seemed way too big, then the guy gave me a 5..which seemed to fit perfect....I had to call him an hour later cause really, I'm no size 5 ring, that must have been a mistake.  I tried a ring sizer at my jeweller and I could not take off the 5.  I almost had to pay for the ring sizers cause I could not get the 5 off!! LOL  So I called Spence to change my ring choice to 5 1/2.  I have a feeling his ring sizers were wrong OR he mis-read the sizer.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My engagement ring used to be half a size too big and it made a huge difference. They advised waiting until I got the wedding band to resize, so they put a ball on the inside instead. When I was wearing it at the larger size, it used to spin around and was easy to slide off (though it wouldn't slide past the knuckle on its own).

I eventually got the e-ring resized. I don't remember exactly what size I got my wedding band, but I think it ended up being about a quarter size smaller than my e-ring. It works for me.

For plain bands, I think they can easily stretch them a quarter size larger (that's what DH did). If it has diamonds, I think it takes a little more work to reset the diamonds after resizing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All I know is that my wedding band is smaller than my e-ring.  I have no idea about sizes.  I remember figuring out a size when we first started looking at e-rings, but my H handled everything else with a private jewler. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it also depends on the width of the ring...if your e ring has a thin band but your wedding band is thicker you may find that your e ring has a smaller ring size than your wed band
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards