Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

I don't want want the white dress

Ok I'm aware that the white dress is a post WW 2 tradition, BUT to me the white gown that you spend all night terrified your going to spill wine on just doesn't say WOW!

To me white is an accent color and in my wedding i don't want to be 'the accent'. I'm the reason people are here, bc i said yes.

Am i alone in the dislike of the modern "white dress" tradition?

Re: I don't want want the white dress

• My plan is a stunning bold color gown i've recently found with LOW back and feather mermaid! My brides maids, junior brides maides and flower girls in black with white accents. White calas in the bouquet with peacock feathers and purple ribbon. (I have a thing for pea fowl and my favorite color in purple)

I found a beautiful audrey hepburn "breakfast at tiffany's"-ish look for the flower girls that i'm in love with! The black dress white pearls and curly up-do with little tiaras.
  • I found a dress I loved, it just happened to be in white. Still debating on changing it to a traiditional Korean attire - which means (to me) tons of bright colors. :) Do what you want (I personally hate white and bought the dress as "ivory" but washed white.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • My wedding dress was black, which is awesome because I've been able to wear it for numerous occasions since then, including several other weddings.
  • you dont have to wear white if you dont want. you arent a lone. a lot of other women choose not to. heck at davids bridal, vera wang (i think) actually has a few dresses that come in pink.  
  • Lol, this reminds me of my Grandmother- When discussing my wedding dress, I told her that I was going to be wearing white, and she tried to convince me that it was Biblical that only virgins could wear white on their wedding day, and that I'd be sinning if I wore white. (This is my second marriage.)

Sorry, I must have missed that day of vacation bible school!!!
  • edited December 2011
    vera wangs 2012 wedding line is almost completely black.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Make your dress fit you and who you are. I am not wearing white/ivory but a very pale chade of purple (my 2nd wedding, his first) My bridesmaids are wearing black and my flowergirls are wearing dark purple. Find a dress you feel beautiful in and a color that looks good on you and go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • I plan to wear ivory or champagne, 'cause I want basically white but white doesn't go with my skin tone as well.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • I'm wearing a light blue dress, since I look horrid and pasty in white, and light blue is fi's fave color. Find something that makes you feel beautiful and rock it!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Vera Wang just did an entire line in black even!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_dont-want-want-white-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6b2b8076-75e7-44c4-9b97-54b20429c28ePost:2a0a98c5-ca18-4ae2-a1c2-6ad3692b80e4">Re: I don't want want the white dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm wearing a light blue dress, since I look horrid and pasty in white, and light blue is fi's fave color. Find something that makes you feel beautiful and rock it!
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]

My friend did an ice blue dress and you would never have even known looking at the pictures that it was not white.  It was stunning in person!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want to be the center of attention (which it seems like you do, since you claim you're the only reason people are coming).. white might be the best option. People are always saying how you dont wear white to a wedding because only the bride can, therefore, you would be the only one in white. Ivory is also a good choice. But I think if you choose a color to match your wedding colors then you will definitely just blend in. Either way people are going to notice you at the marriage of you and your FI so I dont think you need to worry about not sticking out enough or not being the center of attention.
  • The tradition of wearing white was brought about in the 1840's by Queen Victoria.

“Custom has decided, from the earliest ages, that white is the most fitting hue, whatever may be the material. It is an emblem of the purity and innocence of girlhood, and the unsullied heart she now yields to the chosen one.”

There's even a poem about how the color of your wedding dress will influence your future.

“Married in white, you will have chosen all right. Married in grey , you will go far away. Married in black, you will wish yourself back. Married in red, you’ll wish yourself dead. Married in blue, you will always be true. Married in pearl, you’ll live in a whirl. Married in green, ashamed to be seen, Married in yellow, ashamed of the fellow. Married in brown, you’ll live out of town. Married in pink, your spirits will sink.”

http://www.fromtimespast.com/wedding.htm

You can find more information in the link presented above, if you're interested.

Anniversary

Holiday
  • Guess what- it's YOUR day! Wear whatever YOU want!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards