DC

DIY Flowers

Hi-

Getting married next May in Warrenton, VA and am strongly considering doing my own flowers (at least for the centerpieces) to save on $$$ (of course provided that I'll have a few friends that will help with all the work the day beforeSmile). Has anyone done this before in the northern VA area? Any tips on where to get wholesale flowers? I live near DC and my parents live in Charlottesville so would be willing to consider most of the NoVA area.

Also, I'm completely flower challenged..what would be in season in early May?

Re: DIY Flowers

• Look at the Costco white rose package online for centerpieces. I know several who have been very pleased with them. Bouquets are more complicated unless you want the girls to carry just a simple white rose nosegay. Lok at the DIY and the flower board as there are many ideas and resources there.
  • For my wedding (tomorrow - eek!) we are doing very simple centerpieces with empty bottles and baby's breath. I called a few florists (and some small ones even offered a decent rate on bulk flowers), but we ended up simply going to a few grocery stores in the past few days. Depending on how many centerpieces you need & how elaborate they are, this could work. We are also using baby's breath for all the bouquets. All our flowers were less than &75! (note: some baby's breath smells TERRIBLE, which we didn't discover until our test run). 

I'd suggest figuring out your ideal centerpiece, then call around for prices. The Practical Wedding website has good DIY tips for flowers, too.

As for flowers in season, use Google. I found a florist site that had much of that information. Sorry I can't remember it now, but I am exhausted from the final prep and my brain is barely working. Good luck!
  • this is our speciality!

We offer DIY Bridal 'classes' where we can provide you the instuction, space and (importantly) the refrigeration you need to do your own flowers.  We let you buy and bring your own to our studio and we'll even deliver to your wedding and set them up for you to save you the hassle. 

We'd be happy to help

Chris
  • I'm also planning to do my own flowers. I did look at the flower section in couple grocery stores and I feel I can get plenty of flowers for couple hundred dollars. My bridesmaids will have a single stem flower which looks pretty and simple. My centerpieces will be floating lemons and hydrangea in a tall glass vase. I think I can pull it off together with some help from my family:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards