Snarky Brides
Options

I'm not pregnant!!!

Fiance and I just got engaged - yay!!!

We're both in our 30s, and I was previously engaged (so this ain't my first rodeo). We were together 7 months before the proposal, but it felt right to get engaged.

Of course, less than 24 hours after getting engaged I have been asked by a few people if I am pregnant (I'm not)! Why are people so rude?!? We got engaged because we love each other and want to be married, not because we feel obligated by pregnancy.

Re: I'm not pregnant!!!

• Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations on your engagement!  Welcome to the madness! lol

Ugh, I hate when people ask that.  Last summer when my aunt asked me the date of my wedding, and I said "September 13, 2014", her response was, "Oh good, so you're not pregnant."

Bitch What?

etf: syntax
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    Ugh, people asked me that too.  It pisses me off.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear this.  People just don't want to believe people get married because they are happy and want to, not because they are forced to for any reason...

I thought I would get asked this!  FI and I have been together since 2005 and got engaged in 2013.  I swore someone was going to come out of the woodworks and ask because that must be the ONLY reason we are getting married now, right?  *sigh*

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I got the same thing. Many of my friends said, "I wondered if you were pregnant or getting married or both!"

Nope. Just love my honey and want to get married. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I got that too. FI proposed to me after 5 months. People really can be jerks. 
  • Options
    DH and I were together for 8 years when we got engaged. After we got engaged I was kind of MIA in his friend group for awhile. It wasn't anything that had to do with them, I had some other stuff going on. I went out with them and one guy asked me how the baby was. I was like what???? He said well you don't look pregnant now, but I heard you were so I figured you already had the baby. So not only was I pregnant, but I had apparently already had this imaginary baby. LOL People are stupid! I guess someone must have started the rumor since we finally got engaged after so long.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And after the wedding it doesn't stop. Our wedding is next month (yay) and I lost count of how many times I have been asked when we will be having a baby. Edited: because I can't type today.
  • Options
    My parents got engaged in July and married in October of 1981. Literally everything thought my mom was pregnant. Joke was on them because my brother wasn't born for eight years after! 
  • Options
    If someone is rude enough to ask you if you got engaged because you are pregnant, you raise your eyebrows, assume a shocked expression, and say "Why would you ask me that?"  It worked 38 years ago, and it still works!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
       One nice thing about being 44 is no one has asked me if I'm pregnant. They haven't asked when we plan to have kids either. I guess they figured that ship has sailed!
  • Options
    It happened to me too.  Not only the "are you pregnant" questions, but a snarky neighbor running in to some out of town friends of ours the week of wedding and telling them I was pregnant.  It was really uncomfortable for then FI and I to get the "why haven't you told any of us yet!" stares and comments, and then awkward to explain that said neighbor was mistaken (although I'd go with lying with intent to cause a nuisance).

I'm sorry you're going through this too.  Hopefully it dies down after a while.
  • Options
    Another (fucking fantastic) piece of advice I read on these boards was the bolded response:

"Are you pregnant?"
    "How much is your annual income?  How much do you weigh? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were asking each other personal questions."

Actually, I've been starting to respond with "Are
    YOU pregnant?!" to the pregnancy question.  Jesus, people, I'll have babies when we're good 'n ready.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My cousin had twins on her first wedding anniversary. TONS of people were like "OH!! Now I see why you got married!"

Um, that isn't how it works.

I am fully prepared for the onslaught of baby questions after my wedding (NEXT WEEK!)
  • Options
    The pregnant question gets so old! I had a bunch of people ask me since we had set our wedding date for only 7 months after we got engaged. Are you preggers? No bitch, I just wanted to have my wedding when I was on break from school so I didn't have to worry about silly things like homework. Thanks for asking though, when its really none of your business!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

People started asking me that recently because I started talking about just having a destination wedding and just coming back and having a wedding reception somewhere. People were like "You do not need to give up your wedding dreams because of a pregnancy" and I am sitting here like -_-. I just want to get married and it started sounding like a good idea.

• Options
    I had a person tell me it's good to marry before I get too old.

I'm 22.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    My cousin had twins on her first wedding anniversary. TONS of people were like "OH!! Now I see why you got married!"

I am fully prepared for the onslaught of baby questions after my wedding (NEXT WEEK!)
    We got baby questions from multiple people AT our wedding reception. "So when are you going start trying for babies"

What I said: "Oh wow. I'm really not sure, we're just enjoying the wedding tonight..."
    What I wish I said: "Oh wow. Well, we've been married for about an hour, so I guess we should start trying right! Wooo!! Please excuse me so I can go get him warmed up on the dance floor. *wink!* Watch this - I promise you a baby in 9 months..."
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I had friends that were engaged and he got a job somewhere so they planned a wedding in 4 weeks so they could move together and not worry about when they would be getting married, etc. On her wedding day, she posted on Facebook, "I'm not pregnant! Stop asking!"
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

We got baby questions from multiple people AT our wedding reception. "So when are you going start trying for babies"

What I said: "Oh wow. I'm really not sure, we're just enjoying the wedding tonight..."
    What I wish I said: "Oh wow. Well, we've been married for about an hour, so I guess we should start trying right! Wooo!! Please excuse me so I can go get him warmed up on the dance floor. *wink!* Watch this - I promise you a baby in 9 months..."
    LOL

FI is skittish as it is about babies, so I warned him that we're going to be getting The Question around / at / after the wedding.  We're having fun coming up with clever / asshole-ish responses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

LOL

FI is skittish as it is about babies, so I warned him that we're going to be getting The Question around / at / after the wedding.  We're having fun coming up with clever / asshole-ish responses.

SIB:

My reply would be that we will start practicing, so just make sure your hotel room isn't next to ours.

People can't mind their own business.
  • Options
    @KatieinBkIn Slow clap for yours . . . I may use that. I may use others suggested by PP as well - some good responses! My response has generally been the truth, except to MIL, in that I just say "I don't want kids". Or that my nephews are enough for me.

• Options
    I always go for a food baby response.

"Currently carrying a food baby. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think it's time that I give birth."

and then mosey on.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    My darling husband thought it was hilarious to announce to my mom and brothers the night before the wedding that we would be having a baby.  To be clear, I'm very much not pregnant.  This was NOT hilarious.  He didn't understand the shit I've been getting for years about not having babies yet.  At least I think he understands a little better now after all the ridiculous comments we've gotten since then.

And now I understand why a lot of people don't want kids at their weddings.  I couldn't get within ten feet of one without someone exclaiming "Oh, you look like a natural with kids!"
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    larrygaga said:

I'm 22.
    I'm 31.  I guess all my eggs are just rotten and useless.  I'll be a TERRIBLE wife!
    You should probably just give up on everything. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

I'm 22.
    I'm 31.  I guess all my eggs are just rotten and useless.  I'll be a TERRIBLE wife!
    I'm 35 and just got married in May so what does that make me???? Crap!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards