Snarky Brides

I'm not pregnant!!!

2»

Re: I'm not pregnant!!!

• People at my shower actually said "you're getting married, so now we're allowed to ask you about babies. So, WHEN WITH THE BABIES ALREADY?" Um, no. You never get to ask that. I told them "well we'd kinda like to get married first... give us 10 or 15 minutes, k? If you notice us missing, don't come looking for us."

Family has also said things like "we were thinking of renting that vacation house next summer... butby then Lolo will be pregnant so she might not want to go." Or "hmmm, next Thanksgiving... yeah you'll have a baby by then." GET OUT OF MY UTERUS, FBIL, THANKS.

• I saw my FSIL about a month ago and she DID ask about our plans for kids--but it felt normal and not super weird, because she has been married herself for 3 years and they're waiting till she's out of grad school. So it felt okay coming from a peer who was curious, rather than an intrusive "SO WHEN ARE TEH BABIEZ INVADING YOUR UTERUS?" from some random uncle.

@wrigleyville, you win. That's the best answer ever for that particular scenario.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel

• < class="QuoteAuthor">larrygaga said:

I had a person tell me it's good to marry before I get too old.

I'm 22.

I'm 31.  I guess all my eggs are just rotten and useless.  I'll be a TERRIBLE wife!

Had DF check as I'm well over 22. He said no rotten egg smell. Dang. I can't be a terrible example now.
  • I'm only 21 and getting married (we've been together for 7 years) and when we first got engaged, my mom told me that no less than ten - ten - people asked her if we were getting married because I was pregnant. Really, people??
  • I've had several people ask me if we were marrying because I am pregnant. I'll be 50 this fall. Pretty sure if I'm pregnant, the baby's going to have to call me Grandma.
  • Unfortunately when my parents come from out of state for my engagement party I had a stomach bug and was suffering from nausea.  My father was so convinced I was pregnant that even my mother couldn't convince him that it didn't make sense for me to lie and then turn around in a few months and have to tell the truth.  I finally had to have my doctor (family friend that we were at dinner with) assure him that I was not with child.

• I'm sorry to hear this.  People just don't want to believe people get married because they are happy and want to, not because they are forced to for any reason...

I thought I would get asked this!  FI and I have been together since 2005 and got engaged in 2013.  I swore someone was going to come out of the woodworks and ask because that must be the ONLY reason we are getting married now, right?  *sigh*

I understand totally. DH and I were together for 6 years before we got married, and dating just over 5 years before he proposed.  About 6 months into our dating, his mom gave him her engagement ring and told him to propose (at least she liked me).  There was always a little "when are you getting married" pressure from certain family members. 

Thankfully no one asked if we were pregnant when we got engaged.  I did, however, have an uncle who asked when we were going to have kids before the wedding reception was even over.  Several other people have asked since then.  (We've been married less than a month.) 

Apparently, if you get married for the first time in your mid-thirties, you have to start breeding immediately.  Because that's what marriage is for.  *facepalm*
  • There was a discussion my parents had with MIL at the rehearsal dinner for our wedding about the when the first grandchild from us would arrive.... sigh...

Anniversary

• Update: I made sure to post plenty of Facebook pics this weekend of myself enjoying adult beverages. Hopefully that kills the rumors!

• KellyT22 said:

Update: I made sure to post plenty of Facebook pics this weekend of myself enjoying adult beverages. Hopefully that kills the rumors!

I tried this when someone thought I was pregnant and it back fired on me BAD! I had this hateful message from a friend with an article about how drinking is bad while pregnant and I was just sitting here like...-_-....I AM NOT PREGNANT! A couple of months later she realized this and apologized but still.
  • I haven't gotten it too much, thank goodness.  Most of the people who've asked have been similarly young and married folks and it's been, "So are you planning to have kids?"

H and I don't drink a lot, and our families don't know that we drink (they're against drinking so rather than have my mom try to talk to me about why I shouldn't or having issues, we just don't drink around them) so not drinking isn't something that people will take as a sign that I'm pregnant.
  • One "reason" that I really hate is simply because I love kids.  What I mean is, people know I love kids & can't wait to have kids (SOMEDAY, NOT NOW), and assume it's okay to badger me with the pregnancy question just because they know that.  Yes, there are a lot of conscious decisions I make in the hopes that our future children will benefit from them... but I make lot of these decisions for myself, too.  

*yelling from the rooftops* Please take note of all the fish, cheese, and beer / wine / liquor I intake, people!  No babies in here!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • larrygaga said:
    I had a person tell me it's good to marry before I get too old.

I'm 22.
    Yeah. Um. My best friend has been with the same guy for years, years!  They are getting warmed up to the idea of having a baby, and they would like to be married first, so they are hopefully getting engaged very soon. (I'm crossing my fingers.)  Apparently another friend of hers said, "Well, yeah, you need to get on that, you're 31."    Jerk.  I told her to tell said friend that my FI's entire crowd of friends didn't start procreating until they were 34-35 years old.  I loathe people who think you have to get married and have kids in your early 20's. 

• I wanted to mention a funny story along this vein.  I have a coworker who's the same age as me, and she became engaged, and because her FI was in the military they had to be strategic about planning their wedding. They ended up doing a surprise wedding.  Now then, she and I had chatted about how neither of us was ready for children, but she mentioned her FI really wanted them.
    Lo and behold, a few months after her wedding, she casually mentions in conversation that she's pregnant!  I was shocked!  She was about 3 months along at her wedding. I have no idea how she managed to cover that up (meaning by not drinking champagne or whatever).  

I honestly don't think anyone was really questioning them on the quick surprise wedding--- they did that to work around the military schedule and to avoid family pressure.  Pregnancy on top of that- yowza!  

• @hnbright2010 That sucks!  So awkward - I'm sorry you had to go through that.  I hope that friend feels terrible!  You know what they say about assuming . . . People need to stop assuming that brides or engaged women are pregnant. 

• We moved our wedding up to this year instead of next- just so we won't have to deal with wedding AND getting a new house at the same time. Now a lot of people thought I was preggers. I guess they'll get that I'm not at the wedding. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards