Snarky Brides
Options

What To Say and What NOT to Say to a Young(er) Bride: A Guide

Re: What To Say and What NOT to Say to a Young(er) Bride: A Guide

• Options
    beethery said:
    Decided to post this blog entry I wrote today. Enjoy
    Alright, let's get this over with, and fast. Yes, I'm getting married. Yes, I'm 22. Yes, my fiancé is 20/will be 21 when we get married. No, I'm not pregnant. Okay. So now that we've been over the basics, let me set a few ground rules for what you should and should NOT say to me about the fact that I'm getting married at 22.

What NOT to Say:
    • But you're so young!: In the scheme of things, number-wise, yeah-- I guess I'm fairly young. I'm not 30, 50, 70 or anything beyond and between. But mentally and emotionally, I've lived eons longer than you. You do NOT know what I've been through in life or my story. Furthermore, I didn't realize there was a rule that you had to get married after age 25/27/etc. And no, I'm not above making the argument that our parents/grandparents got married at 18-21 and they're doing just fine
    I don't care who the fuck or how old you are, anyone says this to me, and they are getting the largest eyeroll I can possibly muster.

That is, without a doubt, one of the most obnoxious statements I have ever read. I don't care if you are trying to be funny, it is a really stupid statement to make. And boy howdy, if a statement is going to hallmark your immaturity, that's the one to use. Congratulations. 

Unless you are a meditation expert who believes in astral projection and all the woowoo in the land, which is the only time I would not eyeroll at you but kind of nod and go along with it because that's just your deal, you say that to me, and in my head I hear, "Hello, I am worldly and intelligent. Do yourself a favor and be awed by my majestic and knowledgeable aura."
    My eyes fell out of my fucking head reading that.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I got engaged relatively young, at 23. No one ever commented on my age with regards to the engagement. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    syoun1njsyoun1nj member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    All this post proved to me was that you are definitely too immature to get married.
  • Options
    Someone once gave me advice: if you go into a marriage thinking "if it doesn't work out, we can always get divorced" you shouldn't be getting married. So the fact that you @kelseykhaos‌ said "I know FI and I are both going to change...but if not, shit happens" is pretty indicative of your youth and "maturity."
    To be fair, I think OP is painted into a corner here. It's possible she meant just to admit that she may not know everything (like everyone was trying to point out) and that even though she is confident in her decision to spend the rest of her life with her FI, it's still possible that she's wrong about how the two of them will react to changes happening over the course of her marriage. Not everyone who gets divorced goes into their marriage intending for that to be an option.

But if she did mean, "well, divorce is always cool if shit happens" then yes, what you said.
    RajahBMFD said:
    For what it's worth, I got engaged relatively young, at 23. No one ever commented on my age with regards to the engagement. 
    Ditto. I think the fact that people are commenting and how this post went over are maybe something you should consider.

I wanted to get engaged to FI about 2 years earlier than he ended up deciding to propose. He was right - damn him. We would have made it work if we'd jumped in then, but it wouldn't have been the best time to get engaged. We both needed to do more maturing. It would have been a lot harder.
  • Options
    Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014

I wanted to get engaged to FI about 2 years earlier than he ended up deciding to propose. He was right - damn him. We would have made it work if we'd jumped in then, but it wouldn't have been the best time to get engaged. We both needed to do more maturing. It would have been a lot harder.
    This is how I felt! It was 6 years before we got engaged which put us at the age 25, then had an 18mo engagement and married at 27. It all worked out how it was supposed to and I am so happy we didn't rush things!

Anniversary
  • Options
    huh, I've literally not had a single comment on mine or my FI's age. We were 22/23 when we got engaged (I know--we are really young) and now engaged for two years (today!). No one has said a thing, but maybe it's because we had already bought a house together... or maybe there have been comments but just not to me. I'm surprised that brides who get engaged at 25 are receiving comments like this.
  • Options
    I married relatively young and my H and I are currently long distance because I decided to pursue my career while I can. People love to comment. I'll admit I'm not great at ignoring the comments. But at the end of the day, I don't have to defend my relationship to a single person except my husband. And my husband has zero doubts about our relationship. 

I used to think "shit happens" in regard to marriage before H and I grew up enough and decided that no matter what shit happened, we were staying married. 

• Options
    My sister and her husband were engaged at 21/22 and married at 23/24. They are mature and I don't think they got any of those comment or at least not by people that knew them.

• Options
    For what it's worth, this was meant to be humorous. It wasn't meant to be taken -too- seriously. Most of the comments I've gotten have been from strangers who only know my age and that I'm engaged. I'm genuinely appalled at some of these comments and feel like some of the responses are just as immature as what you're accusing me of. I usually give a much more tactful, thought-out response than this. So, do with that what you will. 
  • Options
    uh... you bragged that you wrote an entire blog post about this. You are BLOGGING about it. Because you know better than everyone else. Like I said in an earlier post, stop talking.
  • Options

What NOT to Say:
    • But you're so young!
    • But you have so much living to do!
    • Are you pregnant?
    • Various assumptions/accusations that a marriage is a different type of relationship than the one we were already in
    The appropriate response to these unfortunate comments: I understand and appreciate your concern. I hope that you can have faith in the strong relationship that FI and I have built together. We're confident that this is the right step for us, and are ready to move forward to the next step in our lives together,

What TO Say:
    • "Congratulations!"
    • "I'm so happy for you!": Only if you are, though. If not, pick another option. Like the next one!
    • Nothing at all.

My dad, while loving and supportive, has also always been hard nosed and very blunt, especially about some of my choices in life. But one thing he has NEVER put me down for was choosing to get married. I will never forget his excitement and the happiness in his voice when we called to tell him we were engaged; it legitimately shocked us both. If someone so historically typically critical but knowledgeable of my situation can be so ecstatic, there's no reason complete strangers can't at least be accepting of my choice.
    OP, since I'm a published writer and often edit my own writing, I've taken the liberty of editing your expert blog post. My additions are in red for your observation. (See, I brag too). Maybe this is the better way for you to approach things from here on out. You're welcome.
  • Options
    @flantastic‌ I realize that not everyone who gets divorced goes into their marriage intending for it to be an option and that was not my intention to imply that. The "shit happens" attitude just struck me as so immature, like "oh well, no big deal, c'est la vie."
  • Options
    @flantastic‌ I realize that not everyone who gets divorced goes into their marriage intending for it to be an option and that was not my intention to imply that. The "shit happens" attitude just struck me as so immature, like "oh well, no big deal, c'est la vie."
    Yeah, I just know that sometimes I come across as/speak flippantly about things I don't actually take lightly... but given the OP itself, it's very possible that that's her real attitude.
  • Options
    @flantastic‌ Fair enough! I jus wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertantly offend anyone! I love the snarky brides board!
  • Options
    steph861steph861 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    @themosthappy91‌ Your post made me love you, so I have to ask: is your sn a reference to Anne Boleyn? I will love you even more if it is.

ETA: Getting back to the topic at hand, OP, if you have to tell people that you're mature, you're probably not as mature as you think you are. That goes for lots of things, really. If you have to try to convince people that you possess a certain quality, then you probably don't possess it. Let your actions speak for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards