Chit Chat
Options

Let's talk about swimsuits.

13»

Re: Let's talk about swimsuits.

• Options
    I'm small and like others have said, I'm too busy worrying what I look like. The only things I notice are cute suits and great boobs, since I don't have any. 

That being said, I tend to think two pieces look better on bigger ladies. I think that the fabric over the stomach tends to accentuate every bump/curve. I love seeing bigger ladies rock bikinis. 
  • Options
    So, kind of a side track, but to save you all time.

I ordered a few J Crew bathing suits for a recent trip to Florida. They're only available online, so I chose 3 styles, and ordered in multiple sizes.

Result being, I sent EVERYTHING back. The cup size on their bikinis runs a full size small. Bottoms ran a little large. They've got lots of beautiful colors (pastels, neon and bold), but despite being fully lined, most were see-through. Like, lululemon recall see-through.
  • Options
    Soooooo after looking on ModCloth I realized they had new suits out and I totally just bought this one (top & bottom)

• Options

So, kind of a side track, but to save you all time.

I ordered a few J Crew bathing suits for a recent trip to Florida. They're only available online, so I chose 3 styles, and ordered in multiple sizes.

Result being, I sent EVERYTHING back. The cup size on their bikinis runs a full size small. Bottoms ran a little large. They've got lots of beautiful colors (pastels, neon and bold), but despite being fully lined, most were see-through. Like, lululemon recall see-through.

I had heard the same thing on their bridesmaid dresses. My top picks were from there, but a friend said none of them would fit anything over a B cup.

• Options
    I kinda love THIS.   

• Options
    maeday2 said:

@maeday2 mine are all Target and VS.

I actually don't own a one-piece, and haven't since 5th grade... I'm too long-waisted so they don't fit. :(

Same exact problem. I spotted a cute romper yesterday with honeymoon in mind and even though I know I can't wear them, I tried it on. It was horrendous. 
    Try LL Bean and Land's End. They both have one-pieces in "long," which work for me and I'm 5'11. Now, many of them look like they'd be perfect for your grandmother, but you can find some that are cute, or at least very basic.
  • Options
    larrygaga said:

Ha - this reminds me of back in October when I had my girls' weekend in Destin, FL.  I wore my 2-piece and my BFF's husband texted her to ask why was I wearing a bikini and she needed to "talk to me" about it.  Oh, fuck no, and fuck YOU.  I will wear what I want when I want and you can put your ignorant head right back up in your ass where it apparently resides 24/7 anyway. 

A straight man who complains about an almost naked woman on the beach always confuses me.
    That woman over there is not living up  to what my pre-concincived notions of beauty are. She should not be out in public because she does not induce a boner in me!

Cause come on ladies, our whole existence is based on the fact that we have to induce boners in men. That's what we're suppossed to be trying to do at all times.
  • Options

No one cares. I'm ghostly white and I never feel like anyone is judging me. And really, I can guarantee there will always be someone larger than you wearing a smaller bikini. And even if anyone besides yourself were to judge, why the fuck should you care?

Plus, I think your FI was trying to say he wants to see you in a bikini because you're hot. ;) I know H never notices any of the little flaws I see in myself. I'm willing to bet your FI is the same way.
    This is why I always feel like people are judging me (I am sure it is in my head). While i will not tan and cover myself in more sunblock than I should, but I always feel that my thighs look so big because they are so pale. 

I try not to judge people on their bodies, but I will say if honey Boo Boo's mom was out in a bikini I would judge that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

No one cares. I'm ghostly white and I never feel like anyone is judging me. And really, I can guarantee there will always be someone larger than you wearing a smaller bikini. And even if anyone besides yourself were to judge, why the fuck should you care?

Plus, I think your FI was trying to say he wants to see you in a bikini because you're hot. ;) I know H never notices any of the little flaws I see in myself. I'm willing to bet your FI is the same way.
    This is why I always feel like people are judging me (I am sure it is in my head). While i will not tan and cover myself in more sunblock than I should, but I always feel that my thighs look so big because they are so pale. 

I try not to judge people on their bodies, but I will say if honey Boo Boo's mom was out in a bikini I would judge that.

I am for sure weighing in at less than Mama June and don't have forklift foot or vajigglejaggle either so I think my bikini will be okay!! hahaha

Sadly yes I have watched that show enough to make direct references.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @amelisha how you feel about those big bra tops is how I feel about the high waisted. They look nice on the girl Ashley posted but I honestly hate them on small girls. All the ones on the models (on modcloth) look like granny panties/ diapers. No offense to anyone, just my opinion that they are very unflattering on smaller girls.

• Options
    I'm pretty self conscious.  I've never been the skinny one and I'm currently at the heaviest I've ever been.  Who am I to judge?
    I can only recall one time when I judged someone else for their choice of bathing suit.  These two girls were in these super thongs and triangle nipple covers and were posing on the beach and taking pictures of each other.  Only reason I judged them was because you could tell the cut of their other bathing suits because they had dark tans all over except their asses and where the bands to their other tops went.

I think this year I'd like to find a 2 piece highwaisted bikini.  I think that may be a little more flattering on me.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

I think it's awesome a ton of us are going to be rocking vintage suits this year.

No high waisted for me this year! I'm gonna be just pregnant enough to look pregnant rather than fat. ;) I'm slinging my bikini bottoms low and letting it alllll hang out.

• Options
    I can't wear high waisted.  Just looks like I'm trying to cover up my ute bulge.  Actually, super low rise, right across the hips works best on me.  I just hate when the bottom cut into my hip fat, making it look like muffin top.  It's hard to find bottoms for me that are snug and won't fall off in the water but don't cut in so much to give me muffin top.  

And I love retro suits in photos, but they always look stupid on me.  I just can't pull off that look

• Options
    Right now all I have that "fits" me is a tank top-like tankini from Swim Suits for All that smooshes my boobs and doesn't really support them.  I am thinking of trying a swim bra from Elomi (http://www.elomilingerie.com/swimwear/ss12/isis/swim_bra.aspx?colour=black) with a tankini from them on top.  Maybe this one  http://www.herroom.com/elomi-es7026-swanee-gathered-tankini-swim-top.shtml   or this one   http://www.herroom.com/elomi-es7603-isis-ruched-tankini-swim-top.shtml
  • Options

I think it's awesome a ton of us are going to be rocking vintage suits this year.

Vintage styles are always so flattering! I have no idea how the high-waisted look will look on me, but I'm at least willing to give it a try. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:

Vintage styles are always so flattering! I have no idea how the high-waisted look will look on me, but I'm at least willing to give it a try. 
    Same. It might look awful on me, but I have faith because of modcloth picture chick.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I have to buy a swimsuit this year.  I've just lost weight from a size 22 to a size 14/16 (and will be losing more...surgery), but I don't want a bikini.  Just not my thing, no matter what size I'm wearing. I'm deathly pale because I can't be out in the sun for any length of time without breaking out in a rash, and I burn super easy, so I'm usually beneath an umbrella or a porch.  I've always worn the skirted suits from Lands End or LL Bean, the two piece ones that cover like one pieces.  Maybe I'll try a boyshort bottom this year, but the skirts cover the part of me that I still hate and will always hate.  I'll show off my shoulders and boobs in a halter, but WILL NEVER wear a suit that lets people see my hips/pooch/girl area.  Ain't no one wants to see that.  But I am feeling better about wearing a color other than black this year (even though I love wearing black), so I'm thinking I'll do that.

I only judge the 300 pound guys wearing banana hammocks, and anyone wearing a thong.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:

@amelisha how you feel about those big bra tops is how I feel about the high waisted. They look nice on the girl Ashley posted but I honestly hate them on small girls. All the ones on the models (on modcloth) look like granny panties/ diapers. No offense to anyone, just my opinion that they are very unflattering on smaller girls.

I agree. I think they make my stomach look rounder instead of flatter. I rarely wear my retro cherry-print bikini because of that (and because the shape of the top gives me sad boobs too. It's such a cute suit but it does not suit my body.

I have the one below in the first photo, by Esther Williams. But the second photo is of another bikini I have that is way cheaper and more flattering. So I guess it's just a know-your-body thing? Triangles are the only shape customisable enough for me from a size perspective so it's pretty much all I wear, and just deal with the boob trying to escape out the bottom,

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also overweight and never worn a bikini in my life. But for our honeymoon I'm definitely getting some. I'm in love with the high waisted vintage look. Those will actual be super flattering for my body. It's definitely a know your body thing with which one to go for. I'm excited to start ordering some!
  • Options
    A swimsuit trend I can't understand or get in to - those bottoms that aren't a thong, aren't a full bottom, but look like they're halfway up your crack and half your cheeks are hanging out. Just... Why?

I also ordered a bunch of VS swim tops to find ones I liked. I picked out a few, tried them on, and further proof men don't see our "bad areas"... FI's first word? "Boobs."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm extremely self conscious, but have been working on it for the past 10 years or so. Because of that, I usually go allLilo-like with people in swimsuits, especially women who would be considered plus size who rock it, because dammit I'm envious of their confidence. However, I find when I'm with Fi, he makes me feel like the sexiest woman in the world, regardless of my A cups. . 

I've found that by wearing a swim suit that accentuates a part of my body I (or my Fi) love (in my case, my butt) I feel more confident. My bff is Brasilian and her mom gets me swim suits from Sao Paulo which are cut differently to show a little more.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards