Chit Chat
Options

Let's talk about swimsuits.

Re: Let's talk about swimsuits.

• Options
    To be honest, I do judge people in their bathing suits.  But only if the suit does not fit, like if they look like they are wearing a soggy diaper or the bottoms are too small and low that their ass crack is dying to make an appearance.

-----Stuck in the box------

This is what I judge. Just wear something that fits well.

Have you thought about getting a one piece that has some fun cut outs? This one is kind of like the best of both worlds

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I am very squishy around the tummy and have some lovely dimpling on my thighs. While not super overweight, on a 5 foot frame, the 15 extra pounds are very prominent in my midsection.

For the most part Im not a huge beach person in general. Im way to antsy to lay on a beach, and im terrified of water so I don't do much swimming. 

Last year I decided i really should have a bathing suit, especially for camping. I soley looked at one pieces figuring it was what was best for my physique. FI came with me and while I was in the change room he handed me this absolutely adorable teal and white polka dot bathing suit, that was bra top style with underwire and over the shoulder straps (as opposed to the popular halter/triangle bikinis).

I tried it on and adored it. Loved it. Felt a little uncomfortable with my belly in it. But I bought it because I couldnt bare to leave it behind. First time I wore it in public I was soooo self conscious. Until this skinny toned girl came up to me and told me how much she loved my bathing suit and asked where I got it.

I have a lot of self esteem issues regarding my body but something about that bathing suit just makes me go, you know what? Im freaking adorable. 

I dont think it matters if its a one piece, tankini, bikini, shorts and tank, you need to find something that speaks to you and it will give you the confidence.
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    My least favourite thing about swimsuit shopping for my body is that so many swimsuit tops come with a clasp or hook in the back instead of a tie and are sized XS to XL. I wear a 28FF/H bra, so I need a L or XL bra cup but an XS band around my ribcage, so unless it ties around the back, I'm totally out of luck. I love Victoria's Secret swimsuits but they always have clasps instead of ties because they seem to assume that women are 32Bs, 34Cs, or 36DDs exclusively. It's virtually impossible to find a cute swimsuit top that covers my chest but fits around my ribcage.

Every time I get mad about this someone is like "Why not buy one of those bra-sized Freya ones or whatever?" but the bikinis that are made like bras...look like bras to me, and make me look like my mother, all strapped in to an industrial-strength monstrosity with fabric up to my collarbones and gigantic wide straps covering my entire shoulder. I just want to look my age but not have my damn aureole visible, you know?

My bottom half is relatively easy to fit (I have hips but a sad flat little butt, which seems to be mostly what they cut women's bottoms for) but I admit, it always seems like one size will be sliding off and causing the saggy butt, but the size down cuts into the fat around my midsection and makes me muffin-top-tastic. There's never anything in between.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I only judge on fit. Far too many times I see people wearing bathing suites (or clothing in general) that is wayyyy too small for them. A friend who is not very thin once wore this teeny string bikini with no support and it just was not flattering at all. I thought her ta-ta's were going to plop out at any minute and I legitimately saw 4 inches of butt crack. @doeydo posted some great examples of bathing suits that would have looked great on her!

I do want to say insecurity affects everyone! I have been naturally thin my whole life, but as I am getting older I am already starting to see/feel changes and I am realizing I need to be more conscious of my eating and exercising. We have lots of beach plans this year and I know I will need to make some changes if I want to feel comfortable. Also - because I am smaller that means so is my chest. I have always been very self conscious in a bathing suit for that reason. In the past few years I have been buying tops with less and less padding and trying to embrace my body. And lastly I am super pasty white and can get some nice color by the end of the summer but compared to everyone else's color I still look pasty white. Honestly it's so crazy how much people make fun of me for that... it's the color of my skin! WTH?!

Anniversary
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

My least favourite thing about swimsuit shopping for my body is that so many swimsuit tops come with a clasp or hook in the back instead of a tie and are sized XS to XL. I wear a 28FF/H bra, so I need a L or XL bra cup but an XS band around my ribcage, so unless it ties around the back, I'm totally out of luck. I love Victoria's Secret swimsuits but they always have clasps instead of ties because they seem to assume that women are 32Bs, 34Cs, or 36DDs exclusively. It's virtually impossible to find a cute swimsuit top that covers my chest but fits around my ribcage.

Every time I get mad about this someone is like "Why not buy one of those bra-sized Freya ones or whatever?" but the bikinis that are made like bras...look like bras to me, and make me look like my mother, all strapped in to an industrial-strength monstrosity with fabric up to my collarbones and gigantic wide straps covering my entire shoulder. I just want to look my age but not have my damn aureole visible, you know?

My bottom half is relatively easy to fit (I have hips but a sad flat little butt, which seems to be mostly what they cut women's bottoms for) but I admit, it always seems like one size will be sliding off and causing the saggy butt, but the size down cuts into the fat around my midsection and makes me muffin-top-tastic. There's never anything in between.

@amelisha have you tried on "balconette" bikini tops? Would something like this fit you better?

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45262&vid=1&pid=369775012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You ladies are awesome.

These are the one pieces I bought..
    (in black)

They totally cinch my tummy in which I love. But I also love being tan ALL OVER and not having lines. Which is why FI pointed out the bikini thing... cause I"ll come back and have the whitest stomach ever, and let's be real - tan fat looks better.

So I think I'm going to hold on to the black one - one so that when we do our excursion day and are zip lining and all that I have something with a little more coverage... and because sometimes in summer time FI likes to go to the day clubs/pools and I think it's a cute/sexy one piece.

You all have given me the confidence to go out and buy a bikini - because I know I will be happier and so will FI!! :)

Side note... I have a total girl crush on the Sports Illustrated "plus size" model Ashley Graham. LOVE that bikini she is wearing. It's on back order for another two weeks though :( So now I begin a search...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

amelisha said:

@amelisha have you tried on "balconette" bikini tops? Would something like this fit you better?

Definitely not, unfortunately. There is not a chance in hell I'd get my chest crammed into the tiny cups of a balconette that fit me in the band. I'm just built too bizarrely.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wear a 0 or 2, I'm short, I have no tits, but my ass is decent. I like wearing bikinis so I wear them. I don't look a VS model. Or any other model. But I know the dirty little secret....they don't look like that either. They have a team of highly trained well paid professionals surrounding them to make them look like that.

I have a tired usually hungover bitch who just wants to fucking swim and drink pina coldas by the pool, to make me look hot. So yeah, I don't look like I was styled by a team of professionals. Cause I wasn't. But I got a drink in my hand, some music, and I'm giving no fucks.

I see women of all shapes, sizes, ages, races, skin tones, ect, ect, ect. And yeah, I check them out. Cause I like looking at people. I like looking at how different we all look. I'm probably checking out their suit, if they have ink I'm totally looking that over, and I might  be thinking "Damn that girl is hot". 

The only people I think "oh sweetie no" are the people who wear suits clearly too small for them. Like they're a size 10 and bought a size 4. No honey, buy the size you are and own that shit. Buying clothes in smaller sizes does not look better.
  • Options

I am always - ALWAYS - too wrapped up in my own head to notice other people. Occasionally I'll notice a girl with a cute suit, or I'll spot someone in a suit that doesn't exactly flatter them, but for the most part I'm too concerned about how shitty I look in swimsuits. I actively avoid shopping for them, haven't bought a bikini in years, and generally wear board shorts and a t shirt over my suit no matter what kind I wear.

Why do we care, anyway, though? Like. If someone is judging me for my body, I will likely never know, and on top of that it more than likely stems from that person's body issues than any real problem my body size has caused them.

I do look like a beached whale though. I'm 5'2" and 180. I wear a 14 or a 16, and I've got more than just a little pudge.

We are literally the same in almost every way. I'm 5' 3" & around 170 (I think, I haven't weighed in a while), and I have big boobs, belly pudge, big hips, & thick thighs. So the teeniest I'll go on swim suit bottoms are the shorts that kinda look like spandex. I haven't worn a bikini in about 4 years. I'm REALLY self conscious about my body, I have really bad body-hating days sometimes, but I'm working on my body positivity & just not caring what other people think. I'm working on eating healthier & trying to exercise more, but I know I'll never be a size 4 ever again, & I think I'm okay with that. Also, this thread reminded me that I needed to start shopping around for another suit. I'm looking at Torrid's site right now and they have some super cute stuff! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ha - this reminds me of back in October when I had my girls' weekend in Destin, FL.  I wore my 2-piece and my BFF's husband texted her to ask why was I wearing a bikini and she needed to "talk to me" about it.  Oh, fuck no, and fuck YOU.  I will wear what I want when I want and you can put your ignorant head right back up in your ass where it apparently resides 24/7 anyway. 

• Options

Ha - this reminds me of back in October when I had my girls' weekend in Destin, FL.  I wore my 2-piece and my BFF's husband texted her to ask why was I wearing a bikini and she needed to "talk to me" about it.  Oh, fuck no, and fuck YOU.  I will wear what I want when I want and you can put your ignorant head right back up in your ass where it apparently resides 24/7 anyway. 

Those are the people that tend to keep me in my one-piece shell. Because assholes. Which I guess they shouldn't matter anyways, it's just so much easier to say "oh fuck them I'll ignore them" than to actually do it :\
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tcnoble said:

Those are the people that tend to keep me in my one-piece shell. Because assholes. Which I guess they shouldn't matter anyways, it's just so much easier to say "oh fuck them I'll ignore them" than to actually do it :\
    Honestly?  He ain't no prize, and I give zero shits what he thinks.  I know it's easier said than done, but for some reason it was easy this time, lol. 

• Options

Honestly?  He ain't no prize, and I give zero shits what he thinks.  I know it's easier said than done, but for some reason it was easy this time, lol. 

HAHA right?? Makes it easier when the judger isn't such a looker himself. Unless you are my man, I don't need you to like my body. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

That is SO incredibly RUDE! Wow...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    KatWAG said:

amelisha said:

Definitely not, unfortunately. There is not a chance in hell I'd get my chest crammed into the tiny cups of a balconette that fit me in the band. I'm just built too bizarrely.
    Some other suggestions:http://www.herroom.com/freya-as3820-in-the-mix-underwire-banded-halter-bikini-swim-top.shtml

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I am super uncomfortable with my body and haven't worn a bikini in probably 10 years. That being said, I have never judged someone for wearing a bikini, unless their nipples were hanging out or something.

I have decided that this year, at my heaviest weight in my life, I am fucking doing it. I am donating all of my fucks to someone in need... or something.

I'm thinking maybe a cute high waisted one like these:

Actually, I'm going to have to get two, because I fucking LOOVVVEEEE these one pieces:

• Options

I am super uncomfortable with my body and haven't worn a bikini in probably 10 years. That being said, I have never judged someone for wearing a bikini, unless their nipples were hanging out or something.

I have decided that this year, at my heaviest weight in my life, I am fucking doing it. I am donating all of my fucks to someone in need... or something.

Actually, I'm going to have to get two, because I fucking LOOVVVEEEE these one pieces:

Okay, I think I changed my mind. Thank you random internet chick who posted a pic in this suit:

She looks about my size, and this looks great on her. SOLD.
    YES YES YES 

I have been eyeing that suit forever and was so happy when I saw her picture because she looks about my size.
  • Options

Wow...you didn't need bail to be posted after he shared that gem?
  • Options
    redoryx said:

Okay, I think I changed my mind. Thank you random internet chick who posted a pic in this suit:

She looks about my size, and this looks great on her. SOLD.
    YES YES YES 

I have been eyeing that suit forever and was so happy when I saw her picture because she looks about my size.
    Me too! I actually like the chemistry one better, but it doesn't come in my size, and no one has posted a picture. I almost NEVER order anything from modcloth unless there is a picture of someone size 14-ish+ wearing it. I never know how it will look on a non-size 4 and I am too scared to try.

This girl is my hero today. I really want a suit this style now. She looks fucking fab.
  • Options
    @doeydo, those are exactly the kind of swimsuits I was complaining about in my second paragraph...
    amelisha said:

They look fine on the models, but make me look thirty years older and are incredibly unflattering on my shoulders with the huge straps.

@ashley8918, I have a swimsuit in that print but it's a one piece. Has the navy bottom and red and white striped sailor top though. I love the retro ones like that but I've only worn mine once or twice...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:

@doeydo, those are exactly the kind of swimsuits I was complaining about in my second paragraph...

They look fine on the models, but make me look thirty years older and are incredibly unflattering on my shoulders with the huge straps.

@ashley8918, I have a swimsuit in that print but it's a one piece. Has the navy bottom and red and white striped sailor top though. I love the retro ones like that but I've only worn mine once or twice...

Oooh, I would love this in a one piece too.
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

amelisha said:

I think mine is from pinupgirlclothing.com, which you should definitely, definitely check out if you are into the retro swimwear.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I think mine is from pinupgirlclothing.com, which you should definitely, definitely check out if you are into the retro swimwear.

Absolutely checking right now. I just got super sad because they only have the bottom of that modcloth one left in XS... I am NOT and XS.

• Options

amelisha said:

Me too, I just have a weird size difference in top and bottoms. I bought an adorable one piece from Mod Cloth and had to send it back twice because the sizing was not working. 

I love the whole look of the nautical bikini but I hate halter tops. Well, I don't but my neck does. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

Wow...you didn't need bail to be posted after he shared that gem?

Luckily he was in another state.  Now it did cause a fight between her and me, however, since she didn't rip him a new ass for making a comment like that about me...and she still doesn't understand why I was offended by it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards