Chit Chat
Options

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• Options
    I have only asked people to remove their shoes once in my house and that was right after I steam cleaned the carpets because I was getting ready to move out soon. Otherwise I just don't give a shit. Take 'em off. Leave 'em on. Whatever.

I did feel SO weird about asking people to take their shoes off. I was like "I just finished cleaning the carpets, and you know I'm moving, and would you mind terribly? I'm SO sorry" cause it was weird to ask grown  ups to change what they were wearing.

That being said, I like being barefoot. I only wear shoes because it's required and the outside world is dirty and I'll step on a rock cut my foot and die. So I'll totally take my shoes off (under most circumstances) in your house. But I will not put on some weirdo looking booties. You either deal with my bare feet, my shoes, or you don't invite people over.
  • Options
    AlisonM23 said:

We've all been there @plainjane0415 :-p

I am there right now.

I am too, however I'm required to wear trouser socks or hose to work everyday so that helps a little with the STANK.
    Wait, your employer tells you that you have to wear socks?  I mean I've heard of like no flip flops or sandals, but that seems kinda silly to dictate socks/hosiery. 

Yep, I don't think this is uncommon. I don't have this rule in the office area, but people who work out on the production floor do. We make sterile medicines, so everything must be covered, including the top-of-foot-skin when you wear flats.

I also had a retail job in high school where sock or hose were required, though it was a store that sold such things, so maybe it was more for branding purposes?
  • Options
    I also had no idea that this shoes thing was such a point of contention for you guys. So different!

And I will add that I'm a city-dwelling germophobe so I can shed some light on a few of these points...
    a) I never wear sandals because I can SEE the grime on my feet after I get to where I'm going and having my naked feet exposed feels absolutely disgusting to me as I walk past disgusting sidewalk things;

b) I avoid public transit unless it's -40 out and I forgot my ski pants...and then I stand because the seats smell like pee. And I wash my gloves. When I fly I wipe everything around my seat down with antibac wipes and I don't care how psycho it makes me look because I know several flight attendants and I KNOW how often that stuff gets cleaned;

c) I generally just avoid touching anything at all if I can. I wash my hands a lot if I have to open doors or touch buttons or whatever.

Anxiety doesn't begin to cover it, honestly. But I guess I'm a germaphobe till I die, no shame. At least my house is always company-ready, and FI hasn't murdered me yet (although the next time there's 8AM vacuuming on the weekend, I won't blame him if he tries.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

And for those who may ask if I mind taking off my shoes, well then that puts me in an uncomfortable position.  I don't want to take my shoes off because I hate not wearing some sort of shoe, but then feel bad to leave them on because you asked me to take them off.  So if I don't take them off I will feel like you are quietly giving me the stink eye all night or if I do comply then I will feel uncomfortable all night.  So why not just suck it up and not ask your guests to take off your shoes?  For those who live in the house then they should abide by house rules, but when you invite people over you need to be a bit more lax.

You=general you
    I actually have a friend who does not like to be barefoot, she brings here own slippers with her (every where not just my house) because of this reason.  If any of my friends who all know me and my no shoe rule has an issue with it I'm sure  they would stop accepting invitations to come over, they have not.

• Options
    plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    lyndausvi said:

AlisonM23 said:

I am there right now.

I am too, however I'm required to wear trouser socks or hose to work everyday so that helps a little with the STANK.
    Wait, your employer tells you that you have to wear socks?  I mean I've heard of like no flip flops or sandals, but that seems kinda silly to dictate socks/hosiery. 

Oh yes. And I think it's absolutely ridiculous and have ranted about it to several co workers...

We have to wear suits, or as I like to call them old lady suits.  (Kasper anyone?) The first couple of weeks when I was working here, I wouldn't wear socks with my pumps or flats, because, well... I just never do... and my supervisor came and talked to me one day and said "we wear hose here"  In a very snooty condescending tone, so ever since then I have worn them. 

But I have very loudly and obviously expressed my thoughts about how our office needs to move out of the 50's with their dress code. 

ETA:  I really don't like people commenting on my clothing... I guess I shouldn't have a job like I do, but that's all we've got here in my small town... so I have to suck it up.

• Options

AlisonM23 said:

I am there right now.

Yep, I don't think this is uncommon. I don't have this rule in the office area, but people who work out on the production floor do. We make sterile medicines, so everything must be covered, including the top-of-foot-skin when you wear flats.

I also had a retail job in high school where sock or hose were required, though it was a store that sold such things, so maybe it was more for branding purposes?
    @ashley8918 Ah, that makes sense!
  • Options

@ashley8918 I think all houses should have a no pants rule. I fucking hate pants.

I hate pants too, and often don't wear them at home...  I have yet to ask anyone else to remove their pants.  Pants suck!

• Options

amelisha said:

I also had no idea that this shoes thing was such a point of contention for you guys. So different!

And I will add that I'm a city-dwelling germophobe so I can shed some light on a few of these points...
    a) I never wear sandals because I can SEE the grime on my feet after I get to where I'm going and having my naked feet exposed feels absolutely disgusting to me as I walk past disgusting sidewalk things;

b) I avoid public transit unless it's -40 out and I forgot my ski pants...and then I stand because the seats smell like pee. And I wash my gloves. When I fly I wipe everything around my seat down with antibac wipes and I don't care how psycho it makes me look because I know several flight attendants and I KNOW how often that stuff gets cleaned;

c) I generally just avoid touching anything at all if I can. I wash my hands a lot if I have to open doors or touch buttons or whatever.

Anxiety doesn't begin to cover it, honestly. But I guess I'm a germaphobe till I die, no shame. At least my house is always company-ready, and FI hasn't murdered me yet (although the next time there's 8AM vacuuming on the weekend, I won't blame him if he tries.)
    This sounds... unhealthy in a super obsessive sort of way.
    Eh. Have a couple drunk guys barf on your shoes on the train on the way to work and get back to me, haha. It's happened.

And I used to get sick (colds/flu) after every single time I flew, and after one day when I watched a woman change a diaper on her tray table I was like "nope," and I've carried the wipes ever since, and stopped getting sick.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

AlisonM23 said:

I am there right now.

Either of those situations I could get behind.

There's no safety issue in us wearing socks or not wearing socks.  I sit at a desk for most of the day.

• Options
    AlisonM23 said:

I am there right now.

Most hotels I worked at required hose or socks.  No bare legs.

One place had it as a company wide policy, but the Caribbean hotels just ignored the polices.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    amelisha said:

My house is always company ready too. Because if you come over to my house you're choosing to deal with my level of cleanliness. If it doesn't meet your personal needs for anal retentive cleaning you're free to leave. I never hold anyone captive. That's against the law.
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    amelisha said:

amelisha said:

Eh. Have a couple drunk guys barf on your shoes on the train on the way to work and get back to me, haha. It's happened.

And I used to get sick (colds/flu) after every single time I flew, and after one day when I watched a woman change a diaper on her tray table I was like "nope," and I've carried the wipes ever since, and stopped getting sick.
    Yeahhhhh, I've definitely been barfed on and have seen some gross shit. It didn't cause me to have an unhealthy obsession with germs and "generally avoid touching things". If I felt that way, I would see shrink STAT.

ETA - Like, my kid ralphed all over my car LAST NIGHT. I am pretty sure there is still some puke residue in there. I should probably avoid all cars forever now.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

AlisonM23 said:

I am there right now.

Most hotels I worked at required hose or socks.  No bare legs.

One place had it as a company wide policy, but the Caribbean hotels just ignored the polices.  
    At the hotel I worked at, we were required to wear BROWN socks. Not just any socks. Absolutely had to be brown. 

On my second day of work I got in trouble cuz I wore pink socks. 
  • Options

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

That is fucking foul. All the nope in the world cannot explain how I feel about that and about that woman as a person.

I used to work at a restaurant. And one night, during a busy dinner rush, someone changed a FOUL diaper in the booth. Then, they left it on the table.

I had no response. There were literally no words.
  • Options

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

Yeahhhhh, I've definitely been barfed on and have seen some gross shit. It didn't cause me to have an unhealthy obsession with germs and "generallt avoid touching things". If I felt that way, I would see shrink STAT.
    You do you and I'll do me. I know a lot of people who are like me and not into touching doorknobs and elevator buttons if it's avoidable...doesn't mean we're mentally ill. Just fussy. I'm not going to miss my stop and not pull the cord or stand around outside until someone opens a door or anything, it's not interfering with my life, it's just that all other things being equal I prefer to not touch public stair railings or sit on public benches. But thanks for the recommendation, Doc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

SNIP

Yeahhhhh, I've definitely been barfed on and have seen some gross shit. It didn't cause me to have an unhealthy obsession with germs and "generallt avoid touching things". If I felt that way, I would see shrink STAT.
    You do you and I'll do me. I know a lot of people who are like me and not into touching doorknobs and elevator buttons if it's avoidable...doesn't mean we're mentally ill. Just fussy. I'm not going to miss my stop and not pull the cord or stand around outside until someone opens a door or anything, it's not interfering with my life, it's just that all other things being equal I prefer to not touch public stair railings or sit on public benches. But thanks for the recommendation, Doc.
    That was a bit much don't you think?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    amelisha said: ashley8918 said: amelisha said: ashley8918 said: amelisha said:I also had no idea that this shoes thing was such a point of contention for you guys. So different!

And I will add that I'm a city-dwelling germophobe so I can shed some light on a few of these points...a) I never wear sandals because I can SEE the grime on my feet after I get to where I'm going and having my naked feet exposed feels absolutely disgusting to me as I walk past disgusting sidewalk things;

_______imaboximaboximabox___________

Calm your big tits, lady.
    I would see a shrink because that shit a'int normal. Nobody is telling you what YOU should do.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

That is fucking foul. All the nope in the world cannot explain how I feel about that and about that woman as a person.
    I used to work at a restaurant. And one night, during a busy dinner rush, someone changed a FOUL diaper in the booth. Then, they left it on the table.

I had no response. There were literally no words.

******probably going to be a box malfunction*********

What the actual fuck is wrong with people. I'm not a parent (yet). But there is no upbringing in the world that would be like "yea, just leave pee and shit on the restaurant table...it's fine." 

I would want SO badly to take that filled up diaper, run after them and throw on the windshield of their car. I would get fired for something like that and not be sorry at all.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    So since we are talking about germs, how many of you ladies hover or sit on a public toilet seat when you pee?

• Options

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

SNIP

That was a bit much don't you think?
    She's the one that told me to see a shrink, which is pretty offside, especially considering how people here freak out when other people make amateur diagnoses of others.

Sorry if that's too far, but I think the "shrink" stuff is extremely uncool.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

So since we are talking about germs, how many of you ladies hover or sit on a public toilet seat when you pee?

I sit unless there is visible stuff of some sort.

Same here. THE HORROR.

• Options

I sit unless there is visible stuff of some sort.

Same here. THE HORROR.

And if there was visible liquid (poo is a different matter) would you take some toilet paper and wipe it off then sit or would you hover?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I wonder how the germaphobes here feel about the fact that all drinking water on earth was at some point peed out of a dinosaur.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards