Chit Chat

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• esstee33 said:

I've really never encountered a port-a-potty that was so gross I wouldn't use it. I use public bathrooms on the regular, wipe piss off the seat then sit right on it, and if my digestive disorder is so inclined, I poop in public bathrooms too. Not on the seat, though. 

I clean my house when I feel like it. There are usually dirty dishes in the sink, because I don't have a dishwasher and I really only seem to be motivated to wash dishes in the morning while my coffee is brewing. Whatever isn't done in that time can wait until next time. 

I take my shoes off in my house, but only because I don't like wearing shoes at all -- half the time I don't wear them outside, either. I'll even walk barefoot up to my apartment's mailboxes on all that hallway carpet. IDGAF. 
    No joke, I have a friend who can't poop in public. She will literally hold it until she gets home or go home for lunch early or something. I always thought it was ridiculous.
    That just can't be healthy.  And seeing as when I have to go poo, there is usually no waiting.

• On the subject of public restrooms, I feel like I'm cursed. You know when you walk into a bathroom and it smells like someone's hungover, fast food shit? So there are 4 or so stalls. 

Every. Single. Time. I get the stall where the deed was done. Every time. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting.

Our teen boy is literally the most disgusting human being I've seen leaving bodily fluids everywhere, tracking nastiness all over the house, and creating messes so disgusting I never knew they were possible. My niece is 3 and is nasty. While she's a princess who hates having visibly dirty hands, she touches everything, drops things everywhere, and has accidents on numerous surfaces. Our dog sprints to any pile of shit he can find in any backyard or dog park. He also likes to play in mud, lick things, and rub up against any surface.

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

Until this thread I thought that I was kind of nutty when it came to keeping things clean/neat.  I have now learned that I am not nutty but in fact more on the 'dirty' side.  Maybe I should show this thread to my H so he can see that I am, in fact, not crazy obsessive with being neat and clean.

• esstee33 said:

I've really never encountered a port-a-potty that was so gross I wouldn't use it. I use public bathrooms on the regular, wipe piss off the seat then sit right on it, and if my digestive disorder is so inclined, I poop in public bathrooms too. Not on the seat, though. 

I clean my house when I feel like it. There are usually dirty dishes in the sink, because I don't have a dishwasher and I really only seem to be motivated to wash dishes in the morning while my coffee is brewing. Whatever isn't done in that time can wait until next time. 

I take my shoes off in my house, but only because I don't like wearing shoes at all -- half the time I don't wear them outside, either. I'll even walk barefoot up to my apartment's mailboxes on all that hallway carpet. IDGAF. 
    No joke, I have a friend who can't poop in public. She will literally hold it until she gets home or go home for lunch early or something. I always thought it was ridiculous.

*waves hand* I won't poop in public. I don't actively hold it but I just don't have to poop in public places (so it's not like my body is telling me that I have to and I just hold it until I can't any longer). I have to be completely alone and usually at home. H was pretty well convinced that I just didn't poop for the longest time when we first started dating (like well over a year) until I got really sick one time. And from what I've noticed in public restrooms, particularly at work, I'm not the only person who can't poop if someone else is around.
  • esstee33 said:

God she must be miserable.  I have tried to hold poop before and it hurts.  Flat out hurts. I'll never hold my poop if there is a restroom near by.
  • esstee33 said:

*waves hand* I won't poop in public. I don't actively hold it but I just don't have to poop in public places (so it's not like my body is telling me that I have to and I just hold it until I can't any longer). I have to be completely alone and usually at home. H was pretty well convinced that I just didn't poop for the longest time when we first started dating (like well over a year) until I got really sick one time. And from what I've noticed in public restrooms, particularly at work, I'm not the only person who can't poop if someone else is around.
    At least you aren't holding it in all day. I mean, I'll go when I have to go, public or not. But I try to wait until others have left the restroom if possible.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• So since we are talking about germs, how many of you ladies hover or sit on a public toilet seat when you pee?

I sit unless there is visible stuff of some sort.

Same here. THE HORROR.

And if there was visible liquid (poo is a different matter) would you take some toilet paper and wipe it off then sit or would you hover?
    If there is anything in, on, or around a public toilet, I hold it or, if I'm extremely desperate, I'll move to the farthest stall I can. Unflushed pee? Nope. Unflushed poop? DEFINITELY nope. Clean-looking public restrooms let me pretend they are actually clean. If they are not clean-looking, I'm not using them.

I do not use portapotties. I will wet myself before I do that. They are disgusting. I don't use plane bathrooms either.

I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm also not going to deal with other people's bodily secretions. Not happening. Not a chance. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously? You would rather walk around in pee pants? I can't fathom this EVER.

http://youtu.be/YZbsM2R0jqM
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

esstee33 said:

Haha yeah, with IBS, I don't really have the luxury of waiting until I get somewhere else. I can't count how many times I'd have shit my pants as an adult if I couldn't poop in public restrooms. 
  • edited April 2015

I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting.

Our teen boy is literally the most disgusting human being I've seen leaving bodily fluids everywhere, tracking nastiness all over the house, and creating messes so disgusting I never knew they were possible. My niece is 3 and is nasty. While she's a princess who hates having visibly dirty hands, she touches everything, drops things everywhere, and has accidents on numerous surfaces. Our dog sprints to any pile of shit he can find in any backyard or dog park. He also likes to play in mud, lick things, and rub up against any surface.

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms.

I'm not a germophobe. I eat things off the floor and don't wash my hands all the time. I have no problem with public transportation, public handrails, stuff like that. 

But I like my house clean. Hopefully we will instill cleanliness into our future children. We'll have certain standards and they will be expected to help with household chores. I won't be one of those moms who follows their kid around picking up after it and who doesn't expect their kid to help out. Obviously when they're super little, I'll do it, but by the time they're old enough to walk, grasp and understand direction, they'll be picking up their own toys.

ETA: And I won't be one of those parents who doesn't let their kid play in the dirt or who buys anti-bacterial wipes for everything. Or who doesn't let them eat off the floor (unless the floor is visibly nasty) or let them touch things in public places.
    *********************************************************************************

I'm not a germophobe. I eat things off the floor and don't wash my hands all the time. I have no problem with public transportation, public handrails, stuff like that. 

But I like my house clean. Hopefully we will instill cleanliness into our future children. We'll have certain standards and they will be expected to help with household chores. I won't be one of those moms who follows their kid around picking up after it and who doesn't expect their kid to help out. Obviously when they're super little, I'll do it, but by the time they're old enough to walk, grasp and understand direction, they'll be picking up their own toys.
    Hopefully that "not a germaphobe" part kicks in when the kids learn to take off their diaper and play with the poo inside. Or if while changing a diaper/giving a bath, somehow they pee onto your face. Or if they poop in the basement floor like my friend's daughter did mid-temper tantrum at age 5. Or when they wipe boogers into your hand.

We don't feel an urging or desire to have kids so for at least a few years it's just us and our cat.  He's a short hair and we got lucky.  He has never not once gone to the bathroom anywhere but his litter box (which is cleaned at least every other day, I aim for daily).  And we have a Roomba that runs daily, so no cat hair clumps anywhere when he does shed.  

I like my apartment to be clean and tidy, but it's not hospital standards.  5 second rule here too and I'm actually not supposed to use any kind of anti-bacterial soap or gel or anything per my dermatologist.  She thinks it significantly irritates my eczema, which makes sense.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that "not a germaphobe" part kicks in when the kids learn to take off their diaper and play with the poo inside. Or if while changing a diaper/giving a bath, somehow they pee onto your face. Or if they poop in the basement floor like my friend's daughter did mid-temper tantrum at age 5. Or when they wipe boogers into your hand.
    I have changed exactly 1/2 a diaper in my life. I was 12 or so and asked to change my boy cousin's diaper. He peed straight up my shirt into my face. I cried and asked someone to finish the job. 

I've honestly never had the opportunity since then. I'm going to be greeeeeeat at diaper changing...pfffff. 

• I'm not a germophobe even though I don't like shoes in the house. I'm not even sure I want kids at this point and I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it. There are just certain things I'm particular about: no shoes in the house, separate kitchen towels for drying dishes and drying hands, vacuuming multiple times a week because I don't like the dog hair around all the time, washing sheets/towels/bath mats once a week, and no dirty dishes in the sink. I don't mop all the time, wash my walls, or baseboards, and I do poop in public restrooms. However, I would rather not touch people I don't know (I will never live in a big city), I don't touch public restroom door handles, and escalator hand rails freak me out. I also do not carry hand sanitizer around, I think it is over used and I think you should have a healthy dose of germs. I'm almost never sick (haven't even had a cold in the last two years and taken on sick day in 4.5yrs at my current job).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I have changed exactly 1/2 a diaper in my life. I was 12 or so and asked to change my boy cousin's diaper. He peed straight up my shirt into my face. I cried and asked someone to finish the job. 

I've honestly never had the opportunity since then. I'm going to be greeeeeeat at diaper changing...pfffff. 
    I have never changed a diaper and don't plan on changing any diapers unless I have a kid of my own.  When the kid is yours apparently (from what I am told) that stuff doesn't bother you nearly as much as if someone else's kid pees in your face or has explosive poo everywhere.

• I'm not a germophobe even though I don't like shoes in the house. I'm not even sure I want kids at this point and I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it. There are just certain things I'm particular about: no shoes in the house, separate kitchen towels for drying dishes and drying hands, vacuuming multiple times a week because I don't like the dog hair around all the time, washing sheets/towels/bath mats once a week, and no dirty dishes in the sink. I don't mop all the time, wash my walls, or baseboards, and I do poop in public restrooms. However, I would rather not touch people I don't know (I will never live in a big city), I don't touch public restroom door handles, and escalator hand rails freak me out. I also do not carry hand sanitizer around, I think it is over used and I think you should have a healthy dose of germs. I'm almost never sick (haven't even had a cold in the last two years and taken on sick day in 4.5yrs at my current job).

except for the shoes you sound like my mom.     It got progressively worse as she got older.  It was getting  harder to live with her.

Until she got the RA I stopped helping her because I never did it right anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • sarahufl said:

I don't wear shoes in my house. But I would rather not wear shoes at all, ever. I just don't like shoes.

But I don't remove them unless asked. Don't Chinese cultures think it is bad luck or something to wear shoes indoors? We are friends with a Chinese family and they always told people this.

Going way, way back in the thread here, but to the bolded, I don't really know if it's about luck or not but it is customary to remove your shoes when entering someone's home in Asian cultures, and considered rude not to do so. The only person I make take their shoes off is DH because he doesn't just bring home dirt and grime - he's usually tracking in turf dots (we don't want any of the dogs eating them when they visit) or weird chemicals from work (vaporized copper and cadmium are pretty normal). He's terrible at wiping his shoes on the FOUR floor mats we have between the front door and the chair he sits in the remove his shoes. All winter, instead of walking on the mats, he walked around them and left dirty snow puddles all over the living room. Eww.
    ~*~*~*~*~

I don't have kids or pets, but my mother is ten times cleaner than I am and stays that way despite pets and taking care of six kids under school age every day in her home, so I assume that if we change our minds on kids I'll manage too. We do plan to get a dog and cat but we're going with mostly non-shedding breeds to make it easier on me. And I always had pets growing up and we did fine. Mostly they just got a quick paw-and-face wash by the back door and their teeth brushed every night (along with a monthly bath.)

I've worked as a live-in nanny and I know how gross kids can be, but I have zero problem with stuff like changing diapers as long as I can wash my hands afterwards. I've handled plenty of poop and vomit covered babies and toddlers in my life and it doesn't stress me out at all like wearing sandals on city sidewalks or not washing the towels enough.

I also camp and hike frequently and don't have a problem with dirt when we're outside. I guess I just want it to stay out there (and germs from people are the ones that really bother me, for whatever reason.)

As far as immunity, yes, I do worry about it because I know objectively that Lysoling everything might not be a good thing on a large scale. But I also figure that for every kitchen cabinet and lightswitch I bleach there's a hundred other things outside of my control that I'm not cleaning, soo....and while I do wipe down stuff like public toilet seats and airplane tray tables I don't even actually carry hand sanitizer, as I wash my hands instead. But as it stands I'm extremely healthy and very rarely catch worse than a sniffle, so I'm not anxious to start going out and licking taxi door handles. FI has asthma that's exacerbated by allergies and it's been way better managed since we moved in together and he lives with less dust and stuff too.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm happy, I'm healthy, and if I choose to spend my some of my weeknights or Saturdays doing laundry and cleaning bathrooms, then whatever. I know my mother instilled in me some pretty OTT standards for some stuff but I don't have any desire to change.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

I'm not a germophobe even though I don't like shoes in the house. I'm not even sure I want kids at this point and I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it. There are just certain things I'm particular about: no shoes in the house, separate kitchen towels for drying dishes and drying hands, vacuuming multiple times a week because I don't like the dog hair around all the time, washing sheets/towels/bath mats once a week, and no dirty dishes in the sink. I don't mop all the time, wash my walls, or baseboards, and I do poop in public restrooms. However, I would rather not touch people I don't know (I will never live in a big city), I don't touch public restroom door handles, and escalator hand rails freak me out. I also do not carry hand sanitizer around, I think it is over used and I think you should have a healthy dose of germs. I'm almost never sick (haven't even had a cold in the last two years and taken on sick day in 4.5yrs at my current job).

except for the shoes you sound like my mom.     It got progressively worse as she got older.  It was getting  harder to live with her.

Until she got the RA I stopped helping her because I never did it right anyway.

I'm sorry your mom was so hard to live with but I'm not sure I see how the things you highlighted would be a "problem that will get worse". I spend maybe 20 minutes every other day vacuuming, 15 minutes on a big cooking night doing dishes (2min if I just used a plate that day and throw it in the dishwasher) and laundry takes no time at all. I guess it may seem like a lot to some people but it's comfortable to me so sit and relax after 20 minutes with the vacuum in a clean house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33 said:

I knew someone who thought it was rude for people to poop in public bathrooms. Um, that's kind of what there there for?

• I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.  See, I didn't know I was one of the clean ones. Huh. 

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting. I don't have pets, but my family members have cats. Cleaning litter boxes sucks but I just wash my hands after. Kids? I have no idea. I know playing in the dirt builds their immunity. But I watched someone's kid eat food bits off the floor under their table at a restaurant and nearly gagged. Also, it's not so much about "germs" it's about "ew, poop is on me, gross." That's why I don't like tracking in poop and vomit from city sidewalks. It's not "germs", but, if that's tracked onto my carpet and now my bare feet are on it, I don't want poop and vomit particles in my carpet, in my sheets, on my couch, or anywhere else my feet go. Easier to keep shoes off than shampoo/wash everything practically daily. 

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms. Nope. I've never thought I'm obsessive. I rarely get sick as it is. When I get off public transportation and get to the home or office, the first thing I do is wash my hands. If I go to a restaurant, I either wash my hands upon arrival or use antibac. If I'm sitting on the bus and getting coughed on, there's not much I can do about that airborne germ flying my way. But if I'm touching surfaces that dirty and sick people touched, and I have the convenience of washing or using anti-bac, I will do so. 

As far as my home goes, we're honestly not that "clean" because we make a point not to track in gross stuff from the outside. I can go a few days without wiping down the counter because our own food particles don't bother me. I dust or vacuum when it's noticeably needed, which is maybe every week or two. Our "own" mess doesn't bother me; other people's messes do. Just the way it is with me, and with my husband. 

• esstee33 said:

I knew someone who thought it was rude for people to poop in public bathrooms. Um, that's kind of what there there for?
    That is kind of funny. Some of the girls I work with won't go if someone else is in the bathroom and it always turns into a "sit off" until one comes back angry because she couldn't go.. you were just in there, just go!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33 said:

That is kind of funny. Some of the girls I work with won't go if someone else is in the bathroom and it always turns into a "sit off" until one comes back angry because she couldn't go.. you were just in there, just go!
    I have definitely done the poop standoff before when I knew it would be an especially offensive one, but never to the point of not going.
  • sarahufl said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I also had no idea that this shoes thing was such a point of contention for you guys. So different!

And I will add that I'm a city-dwelling germophobe so I can shed some light on a few of these points...
    a) I never wear sandals because I can SEE the grime on my feet after I get to where I'm going and having my naked feet exposed feels absolutely disgusting to me as I walk past disgusting sidewalk things;

b) I avoid public transit unless it's -40 out and I forgot my ski pants...and then I stand because the seats smell like pee. And I wash my gloves. When I fly I wipe everything around my seat down with antibac wipes and I don't care how psycho it makes me look because I know several flight attendants and I KNOW how often that stuff gets cleaned;

c) I generally just avoid touching anything at all if I can. I wash my hands a lot if I have to open doors or touch buttons or whatever.

Anxiety doesn't begin to cover it, honestly. But I guess I'm a germaphobe till I die, no shame. At least my house is always company-ready, and FI hasn't murdered me yet (although the next time there's 8AM vacuuming on the weekend, I won't blame him if he tries.)
    This sounds... unhealthy in a super obsessive sort of way.
    Eh. Have a couple drunk guys barf on your shoes on the train on the way to work and get back to me, haha. It's happened.

And I used to get sick (colds/flu) after every single time I flew, and after one day when I watched a woman change a diaper on her tray table I was like "nope," and I've carried the wipes ever since, and stopped getting sick.
    That is fucking foul. All the nope in the world cannot explain how I feel about that and about that woman as a person.
    I used to work at a restaurant. And one night, during a busy dinner rush, someone changed a FOUL diaper in the booth. Then, they left it on the table.

I had no response. There were literally no words.
    ******probably going to be a box malfunction*********

What the actual fuck is wrong with people. I'm not a parent (yet). But there is no upbringing in the world that would be like "yea, just leave pee and shit on the restaurant table...it's fine." 

I would want SO badly to take that filled up diaper, run after them and throw on the windshield of their car. I would get fired for something like that and not be sorry at all.

My mom wanted me to do this when we went out once because the restaurant didn't have a change table. I was like "nope, that's why I have a change pad and an extra blanket." I have changed my son on floors, grass, and counters in bathrooms. I always carried a change pad and extra blanket. Now he's old enough to stand to be changed. Some parents are gross!!!

I have never changed a diaper and don't plan on changing any diapers unless I have a kid of my own.  When the kid is yours apparently (from what I am told) that stuff doesn't bother you nearly as much as if someone else's kid pees in your face or has explosive poo everywhere.
    You have dogs, so you must have picked up dog poop before. I feel the same way about that, as people do with their kids. It's my dog's so it doesn't bother me. 

You crazy germophobes would hate my house. It was clean until we got a dog. He drags in his dirty toys and sticks from outside. He hates it when you clean his paws. And one time he brought in a frozen poop. Shoes are the least of my worries.

Seriously, life is gross.

• edited April 2015

So since we are talking about germs, how many of you ladies hover or sit on a public toilet seat when you pee?

I sit unless there is visible stuff of some sort.

Same here. THE HORROR.

And if there was visible liquid (poo is a different matter) would you take some toilet paper and wipe it off then sit or would you hover?
    If there is anything in, on, or around a public toilet, I hold it or, if I'm extremely desperate, I'll move to the farthest stall I can. Unflushed pee? Nope. Unflushed poop? DEFINITELY nope. Clean-looking public restrooms let me pretend they are actually clean. If they are not clean-looking, I'm not using them.

I do not use portapotties. I will wet myself before I do that. They are disgusting. I don't use plane bathrooms either.

I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm also not going to deal with other people's bodily secretions. Not happening. Not a chance. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously? You would rather walk around in pee pants? I can't fathom this EVER.EDITED BECAUSE THE BOXES HATE ME.

It's never happened before. But yes, I will sooner pee my pants than I will use a portapotty. 

TMI WARNING!!!

This is super embarrassing, but I used to, on rare occasions, have unexplained accidents. Like, as an adult. It would go like, I was completely fine, I didn't need to potty at all, and then BOOM NO TIME GOTTA PEE RIGHT NOW. They never, ever left me with time to get to a restroom. I keep a change of clothes in my car (and FI's, now) because of it, although thankfully they only ever happened at the end of the day when I was halfway home from work, and I haven't had one in a couple years. So I guess that's why I'd be okay with it - if the choice were portapotty or pee pants, I'd take the pee pants and start hunting down the car.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @hellosweetie1015 I should close this thread and make it an announcement because of that story.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards