Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Oh for the love of god

My family is retarded. You all know this by now, but here's the latest.My cousin's wife is throwing a "reveal party" for herself. The purpose of this party is to reveal the sex of their baby. This is their third child. She's doing it on the same day as my cousin's birthday (her SIL). Her reason for the date? She miscarried prior to this pregnancy and August 23rd was her due date.Ok, your turn. I can't be the only person with a family who constantly does bizarre stuff like this.

Re: Oh for the love of god

• Options
    I want pink cake.  I may have to adblock that picture, because it is all I can think about when you post.  :)

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Wow.... My cousin married my other cousin....that would be the weirdest thing that my family has done....yes, my cousin married his second cousin. And now they're trying to conceive....barf!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    seriously?  I would have to decline that 'party'.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Get ready to get chastised for using that word.Your cousin is crazy and has an over-inflated sense of importance.  Who has a "reveal party"? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BTW, your cousin is a big fat AW! lol
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    So she is throwing a party to reveal the sex of her baby on the date that her miscarried child was due? That's....creepy.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    She miscarried prior to this pregnancy and August 23rd was her due date.Ok - that's weird.  And I'd be karmically scared.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thunder stealer. My "ex"... I use the term loosely.. friended me on FB back in december.  I accepted.  I waited for him to drop me a message.  He didn't, so I did.  He didn't respond so I deleted him.  I just got a message, "hey i saw photos of you.  you look pretty happy.  how are you.  write back.  peace."  WTF dude? I heard he was in rehab.  I have a feeling this was part of his checklist.  "reach out to those you have hurt or screwed over." --check!

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    WHAT? That's so weird! Is she going to streak naked through the room holding a penis or vagina ultrasound shot? That's what a "Reveal" party sounds like to me! I have a cousin who throws these weird receptions for her 20yr old daughter who sings after every concert. Like, since middle school. Yeah, she sings in the chorus for school and gets a full on reception. She can sing; we get it! She is also miffed that I haven't asked her daughter to sing in my wedding. *eyeroll*
  • Options
    Ok, your turn. I can't be the only person with a family who constantly does bizarre stuff like this.You must've missed my post Monday morning. LOL.My aunt got drunk at our family reunion, and flashed the entire family (bare boobs and all), when we went to the bar, she grinded with the bar stools on the dance floor, and jumped down in to the splits and got stuck. Last night she came to see my house, and brought the kitten in with her (kitty is an outside cat), Mark asked her to put the cat outside, and she took it as we wanted HER outside, and she sulked for the entire evening.
  • Options
    "Reveal party"?  What will people think of next?My recent family drama: My dad started dating an acquaintance of my mom's a few months ago.  My mom and this woman weren't friends per say, but they had mutual friends and hung out socially.  He emailed my mom last night to let her know they are moving in together.  My mom is devastated.  Since my mom is hosting (financially and otherwise) my wedding, I now have to either break a big etiquette rule by not inviting my dad's live-in SO or invite her and make my mom feel uncomfortable at the wedding.  As much as I want my dad to be happy, I am secretly hoping they break up before the end of the year.
  • Options
    Kati - why is your mom devastated?  Did they just recently split?  Does she still have feelings for him?
  • Options
    Last night she came to see my house, and brought the kitten in with her (kitty is an outside cat), Mark asked her to put the cat outside, and she took it as we wanted HER outside, and she sulked for the entire evening. This is so bizarrely fantastic.

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Why??A friend of mine had an adoption party a few months ago.  Her husband had adopted her son after a long process.  So they threw a party to celebrate.  It was great that it happened and all, but I was at a loss on what to get for a gift.
  • Options
    My aunt married her uncle. So that's weird.
  • Options
    You're cousin's wife sounds crazy. As for my family drama, my aunt divorced my uncle because she swore he was trying to poison her, and was gay.  Within a year of divorcing him she was remarried and had committed my cousin (her son) to a psychiatric institute because she was convinced that he was also tyring to poison her.  Now she doesn't get why my cousin doesn't want to have a relationship with her.  After all, she did apologize.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Along the same lines of your post, lp... I have a great aunt who has 3 children. Her first son is named after her husband. She wanted to name her second after her father. So, first child is Joe. Second is Mary. So they start trying for 3, to be named Thomas. Baby number three dies after a day, I think. They have a small service and buy him a very tasteful headstone, etc. They immediately start TTC after that's over, and they name the baby Thomas (even the same middle name). And there are pictures of my cousin when he's little sitting next to his brother's gravestone, with the same exact name. It's as though the aunt thought she could replace the baby who passed. Sick sick sick.
  • Options
    Kati - why is your mom devastated? Did they just recently split? Does she still have feelings for him?They split about 6 years ago but she has never really gotten over it.  They still are friendly and spend time together (until now, apparently) and I suspect that deep down she may have held out hope for a reconciliation.  In this particular case I think the fact that she knew this woman adds salt to the wound.  I really wish she would move on and try to meet someone new herself, but whenever I bring it up she tells me she 100% meant what she said in her wedding vows and would never consider being with anyone but my dad.  It makes me really sad to think that she will be lonely forever.
  • Options
    My SIL reads my brother's email and responds to messages I've sent him from his email account.  Today, after I've sent my brother our website address at least twice at his email account she replies to another message I sent him asking for the web address.  Um, can't you see it in the message I sent him like 36 hours ago? 
  • Options
    pumpkin was the first person i thought of. hands down her BSC aunt stories and her cousin that (correct me- beat up her dad?) are the best.i want to meet her aunt.
  • Options
    YIKES vogt. That's tragically bizarre.
  • Options
    Kati, that's sad for your mom.  It sounds like she's in denial. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I think the creepiness factor skyrocketed when I heard the reason for the date.I have no intention of going, neither does anyone in my immediate family. We're all going to go hang out with the birthday girl, since her mother, brother, and father are going to be at the damn reveal party.I'm impressed with the amount of incest in this thread. As far as I know we haven't done that in a few generations, although it would explain a few things now.
  • Options
    At the end of my cousin's obituary-cremation announcement, her parents chose to have printed the following line: *please recycle.* No lie.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Kati, that's sad for your mom. It sounds like she's in denial.I agree.  It probably doesn't help that my dad sends her flowers and takes her out to dinner every year for their "anniversary."  Not normal, right?
  • Options
    Hershey - I took the post to mean that they have found out the sex of the baby, but she hasn't had it yet.  Hence, why I think it's wierd.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Kati - ouch.  Your mom's never going to be able to move on if he keeps doing that.
  • Options
    It's sick. No wonder he now has issues with attachment to his parents (he's in his 40's). He's basically attached to their hips. He has an engineering degree and had a good job a few years back. They retired and decided to move back this direction to be near their family. He was so completely devistated at not being near them that he attempted suicide. He later told them he was glad he hadn't died so he wouldn't be replaced with another son. Then he quit his job, moved up to an apartment in their same town, couldn't find a job, and now wastes his days away as a stocker at Walmart. But at least he's close to his parents. I feel really bad for him.
  • Options
    Kati, sounds like he's trying to keep her on the hook just in case he changes his mind. 
  • Options
    Oh my turn! My 12 year old cousin got pregnant and then haid the baby when she was 13. She had three more before she was 20 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards