July 2012 Weddings
Options

Your Dream Job (NWR)

If money wasn't an issue, what would your absolute dream job be?
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)

• Options
    I would either want to be a party planner or a food critic/restaurant reviewer.  Oh if only :)
  • Options
    A writer of novels.

But at the moment, working at the university is my dream job, keeping my fingers crossed for the job interview.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I want to do something with helping people. Not sure what.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    A veterinarian or homicide detective (actually started going to school for this and then ended up having to leave for numerous reason... should have gone back)
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Oh I don't think I've ever thought of this. But something with flexible hours and something that I can either work from home or travel a bit. Something with animals probably, I grew up wanting to be either a doctor or a vet.

I enjoy my job right now, but it's not exactly a dream job- if the pay was 100x better, I'd LOVE my job even more!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:660bfdd4-cf26-4bd8-91da-1d381cbfba8d">Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If money wasn't an issue, what would your absolute dream job be?
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

That is a LOADED question - right there. I think if money and stability weren't an issue - I would do a lot of different things - flight attendent, journalist, translator - in all honesty - I'd probably just have like fifteen different college degrees..:p Student for life.

But to answer it ...

I want to eventually own a bait shop - probably down South to be able to maintain business year round. That is probably my absolute dream job.

But I'm working toward becoming an RN, then eventually a Nurse Practitioner - so hopefully that financial stability can become an outlet for me to purchase a bait shop eventually. I went into medicine because I enjoy it - but also because it's a job with a lot of flexibility as far as geographical location goes. :p I can work as CNP and work in my bait shop.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would want to do something related to animals.  Probably rescue work and shelter reform.
  • Options
    I am a nurse and I LOVE the career I've chosen, but my dream job that I am too afraid to pursue as a full-time career is as a writer. Novels, children's books, short stories, whatever. I will probably take a stab at it at some point in my life but I don't feel confident enough to not have a backup career. I think one day I would like to compile my funny/heart warming/sad nursing stories into a book. I've only been a nurse for a year (and four years of school/practicums) and I already have so many - people are wonderful.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:b2930928-1d1f-4f86-b644-0e3bfd7ebb16">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would want to do something related to animals.  Probably rescue work and shelter reform.
    Posted by penny12986[/QUOTE]

I am so with you on this!  I would love to start up a shelter for rescue dogs.  We rescued our dog and I wish that I could run a top notch shelter with luxury beds for dogs until we can find them homes.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hahah. I was totally just thinking about this yesterday.
    I probably dont have quite as much insight as those of you that have been working for awhile into what I'd really love; but for now I love my communications and public relations major. 
    I think ideally, Id love to be in media training/consulting. Prepping people for interviews, or taped conferences, things like that. But theres not a whole lot of demand for that kind of thing....
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would want to work for Disney and design/build rides for Disney World in Florida. 

image 183 Invited image 101 Are ready to party!! image 82 Are missing out image 0 Are Driving me Crazy!! The new Mrs. McIver!! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:997c61dc-008c-4a6d-8d79-c82a5408bda0">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a nurse and I LOVE the career I've chosen, but my dream job that I am too afraid to pursue as a full-time career is as a writer. Novels, children's books, short stories, whatever. I will probably take a stab at it at some point in my life but I don't feel confident enough to not have a backup career. I think one day I would like to compile my funny/heart warming/sad nursing stories into a book. I've only been a nurse for a year (and four years of school/practicums) and I already have so many - people are wonderful.
    Posted by Rebis58[/QUOTE]

I've always enjoyed reading books by nurses. I think that's part of what drove me into the medical field. I read a really good book by a nurse a few years ago.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Nurses-Story-Tilda-Shalof/dp/0771080875/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1330532692&sr=8-10" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/Nurses-Story-Tilda-Shalof/dp/0771080875/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1330532692&sr=8-10</a>

It's really enlightening, charming, and just shows that nursing isn't as "glamorized" as some people tend to make it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:0c0cac92-c22a-4e3b-b935-d859d2823479">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Your Dream Job (NWR) : That is a LOADED question - right there. I think if money and stability weren't an issue - I would do a lot of different things -<strong> flight attendent</strong>, journalist, translator - in all honesty - I'd probably just have like fifteen different college degrees..:p Student for life. But to answer it ... I want to eventually own a bait shop - probably down South to be able to maintain business year round. That is probably my absolute dream job. But I'm working toward becoming an RN, then eventually a Nurse Practitioner - so hopefully that financial stability can become an outlet for me to purchase a bait shop eventually. I went into medicine because I enjoy it - but also because it's a job with a lot of flexibility as far as geographical location goes. :p I can work as CNP and work in my bait shop.
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

I always wanted to be a flight attendant when I was a kid. I thought it was cool traveling everywhere.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:3a919217-3183-4c43-abdf-2a24bd759da6">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Dream Job (NWR) : I am so with you on this!  I would love to start up a shelter for rescue dogs.  We rescued our dog and I wish that I could run a top notch shelter with luxury beds for dogs until we can find them homes.
    Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

I love love love this!  And I would totally do this!  I can not wait until we buy a house so I can rescue a dog!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:6f5a0614-e3d4-4c37-a37a-88b7a89631c2">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Dream Job (NWR) : I always wanted to be a flight attendant when I was a kid. I thought it was cool traveling everywhere.
    Posted by bells24412[/QUOTE]

Mmhm. I LOVE airports -  I use to get to the airport hours early - just to explore and people-watch. I love connecting flights (that have decent time inbetween them - one time I had to connect in Chicago in 20 minutes - ugh) - to explore and watch all the people and wonder where they're going.

But...I get insanely motion sick on airplanes - and I have to take dramamine - which helps it immensely - but also makes me drowsy as hell (it's the only med to knock me out) - so....in reality - it's just a dream but not a very do-able one. :p
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If we are talking about a realistic dream job...I am in mine right now. I make my own hours, work from home whenever I want to, travel a lot, have the best boss in the world, and litigate some really interesting and weird cases.

My life dream is to own a yoga studio. I need to become a certified yoga teacher first (which costs a lot of money!)

Fiance and I actually want to do yoga teacher training together and perhaps in 20 years or so, when we are settled and have money, will open our own studio and continue working in our regular lives as an attorney and a pharmacist :):)
  • Options
    My dream job is to do absolutely nothing.

OK, but foreal, I would probably be a dog-sitter and hang out with people's dogs all day.  That or be a professional beer taster.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:b9ffc308-d3be-488a-a6c4-a5aa6a279417">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dream job is to do absolutely nothing. OK, but foreal, I would probably be a dog-sitter and hang out with people's dogs all day.  That or be a professional beer taster.
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know how to answer this question until just now.

I want to be a dog sitter and play with dogs all day.

I used to think being a lawyer was my dream job because I wanted to work at the DA's office. Turns out that I just really despise being a lawyer, regardless of what I am doing! DA's office is poorly organized and working at a firm is horrible.

DOGS FOR THE WIN!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Playwrite/Director/Actress! Really anything in the theatre. I get a little of it now, as I produce the high school show adn work at a theatre over the summers, but not enough. And I write, plays, short stories, and novel(s) in my free time. But I'd love to be able to it all the time. I'm hoping in a few years when I'm settled in to teaching (and tenured!) to do some community theatre. I love every aspect of it but I really miss being onstage.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, maybe b/c I'm having a bad day at work today, but right now all I want is to be married and start having kids and be a stay at home mother. My mom always worked and we had au pairs and my sister and I didn't see our parents much. I even called my au pairs mommy when I was little. So I think b/c of that, I want the complete opposite with my kids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:06f7946f-afcc-4f8d-8bdd-6fda610e6060">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, maybe b/c I'm having a bad day at work today, but right now all I want is to be married and start having kids and be a stay at home mother. My mom always worked and we had au pairs and my sister and I didn't see our parents much. I even called my au pairs mommy when I was little. So I think b/c of that, I want the complete opposite with my kids.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

If I were being completely honest, I think I agree. My mom didn't work when I was younger (she's a nurse and went back to work pretty recently now that we're all older and out of the house), and I absolutely loved having her around and having her involved in my activities. I want to do the same, if money allows.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:b9ffc308-d3be-488a-a6c4-a5aa6a279417">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dream job is to do absolutely nothing.
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

Hahaha seriously! My dream job is waking up and doing whatever the F tickles my fancy that day. :)

Or if we're talking about real jobs, I'm super jealous of those awesome people on travel channels that just live life in a bazillion different countries.

I'm mostly jealous of this show where these 2 Brazilians travel all over Latin America looking for the best honeymoon spots. I mean SERIOUSLY!! How much better could it get?! Occasionally on other travel shows, the hosts get stuck in awkward situations, eat gross things or have to endure certain things. But on this honeymoon show, these 2 just hop from resort to resort... some rustic, some luxurious. But either way, there's not a single moment where they're not fully enjoying themselves!! That's what I'd really love to do! Hahaha :D
  • Options
    hmmm...too many to think of.....wedding planner, personal organizer, or actress!..though I"m really excited to be a counselor too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:06f7946f-afcc-4f8d-8bdd-6fda610e6060">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, maybe b/c I'm having a bad day at work today, but right now all I want is to be married and start having kids and be a stay at home mother. My mom always worked and we had au pairs and my sister and I didn't see our parents much. I even called my au pairs mommy when I was little. So I think b/c of that, I want the complete opposite with my kids.
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>yup, this. I was in daycare until I was 11 or 12 and I was always the first one dropped off and the last one picked up. I know my parents did what they thought was best, but I'd rather live in a smaller house and be able to stay at home with my kids rather than have a dual income and never see them. </div><div>
    </div><div>But right now I'd love to be an esthetician. I get so much joy from popping pimples and extracting blackheads. It's not even funny. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd also love to live in the middle of nowhere and run a dog shelter like PPs mentioned. I got my dog Penny from this lady who rescues dogs from being euthanized and then keeps them until she can find them a home, she has nearly 100 dogs on her farm, it's amazing. 

</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:b196ee4f-c15d-4ace-a59d-432ada447278">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Dream Job (NWR) :  But right now I'd love to be an esthetician. I get so much joy from popping pimples and extracting blackheads. It's not even funny.
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

I just fell in love with you.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    BrightFireflyBrightFirefly member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:6f5f49e3-a4ab-4528-88c5-862b30180a0e">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Dream Job (NWR) : If I were being completely honest, I think I agree. My mom didn't work when I was younger (she's a nurse and went back to work pretty recently now that we're all older and out of the house), and I absolutely loved having her around and having her involved in my activities. I want to do the same, if money allows.
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

That's part of the reason I chose to go into nursing as well. Sure - I might end up working long hours - but I'm hoping to work three twelve hour shifts or just part-time. Also - nursing is something you can step out of for a few years - and jump back into without too much trouble. You don't have to "work your way to the top".

I figure I can stay home with the kids - work toward my masters - and work part-time.

My mom stayed home with me. We had a tiny house (infact - when they sold it and we moved when I was sixteen..it sold for....:: drum roll:: 19,000 - that's how little it was :p) - but she was able to attend all my school functions and such - and she is still my best friend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:8122857d-2acc-4dcd-9382-0dca67c957f4">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dream job is to be a professor without all of the bureaucracy, but with unlimited funding. That doesn't exist. I'll probably end up teaching (because I like it) on the side of some non-academic research position instead. For my second choice, I'm tasing beer with k8888. Bright, my mom's an NP and she loves it. She even started her own practice last year and is enjoying being her own boss. (I'm not sure if that's possible in all states, but it is where she lives.)
    Posted by Schatzi13[/QUOTE]

I think being a professor would be sweet.

And that's great. I'm not sure EXACTLY which direction I want to go with it - but it's def. a major goal of mine. I know I'll get there. it will take sweat, blood, tears and time - but I will.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hahaha...this is such a perfect post!!! Meagan...I heart you!!

I've been going through A LOT the past few weeks trying to figure out what I want to do with my life...school?? work? what?!?! AHHH!!!! i'm still not quite sure, and maybe the answer is in front of me...

I honestly want to be a stay at home mom...I would love to be the girl on the Travel Channel who gets to travel to all these different places in the world!! I would love to experience different cultures!!   Oh & I would love love love to be the director of Planned Parenthood!!! I am all for women having their rights to choose and having the right help out there for them!!  I would love to be a part of that!  I could do that with my degree...if only there were jobs available in my area...oh and don't forget about wedding planning...I think I'd be a freaking awesome wedding planner...I already have the building that I want to build and the decor all laid out in my mind...ahh WHY WON'T IT JUST COME ME!!!! 

OH THE CHOICES!!!!!...Or meet the right person to turn it all around to help you make up your mind!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:76c84e71-bb91-4c07-8fae-51645d4fd0af">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE] Oh & I would love love love to be the director of Planned Parenthood!!! I am all for women having their rights to choose and having the right help out there for them!!  I would love to be a part of that!  Posted by littlemoments324[/QUOTE]

Amen sister! I'd love to work with Planned Parenthood as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_your-dream-job-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:d5178908-f8c7-4f78-a34a-f9bd1087ec7bPost:76c84e71-bb91-4c07-8fae-51645d4fd0af">Re: Your Dream Job (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE] Oh & I would love love love to be the director of Planned Parenthood!!! I am all for women having their rights to choose and having the right help out there for them!!  I would love to be a part of that!  
    Posted by littlemoments324[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, yes, a million times yes!</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards