Wedding Woes
Options

Vent

12346»

Re: Vent

• Options
    Venting about my flatmates.. Don't get me wrong I love them as friends but I am super excited for FI and I to move into our own house and pay our own mortgage! 

When we first moved in together M asked if she could be "flat mum". We agreed and that was that. Fast Forward to today... 
    Our lease is up at the end of this month which is no surprise to anyone. She still doesn't have confirmation of whether a gardener is going to come in and do the gardens. I have brought it up nicely with her a couple of times over the last two months and have pointed out that if we can't get a gardener it would be nice to know so we can do it ourselves instead of having our bond be held back (I also knew of a few places we could get vouchers for cheaper rates and offered to book it myself). 
    She tells me not to worry, she will organise and it will all be fine.. FI and I even offered to do it and she said no, she wants a professional. 

It's two full days in the garden at least. I hate gardening but if it means I get my bond back I will do it. 

I like to be super organised so this is really frustrating, on top of them just being terrible at cleaning. No amount of talking to them has worked. M and L seem to think "everything is fine". That and she hasn't had reimbursement from the property manager yet for the two times we have had the gardener come though... That was last year. 

On the plus side settlement day for our new home is on Tuesday! And getting married in March! Woohoo! 

Yay!  That is a lot of awesome, great stuff happening!

I suspect you'll love your current flatmates even more as friends, once they're no longer your flatmates ;).

In New Zealand, is "settlement day" the day when your house purchase is a done deal and keys are (potentially) turned over?  Or am I making a wrong assumption?  In the U.S. and (I think) Canada, we call that the closing day.

Are you all moving into the new house right away?  Waiting until after the wedding?  And/or have painting/renovations to do first?

SIAB 

Re: flatmates - hell yes I'm so excited to go back to being friends! Looking forward to not having to wear pants around the house as well. 

Settlement day is getting your keys, name on title changes and  handing over cash day. So that sounds like closing day! 

We will be moving in over the weekend after settlement and have a few ideas of what needs to be done around the house. First thing is the roof needs about $5k of work done, ideally before winter. I also want new carpet, paint job, bathroom, kitchen and laundry... But also want to go on a big overseas holiday (Canada or USA). 

Mini follow up vent - was pulled into an unexpected meeting with a client this morning. 3 hours later and I can finally have lunch! 

• Options
    Venting about my flatmates.. Don't get me wrong I love them as friends but I am super excited for FI and I to move into our own house and pay our own mortgage! 

When we first moved in together M asked if she could be "flat mum". We agreed and that was that. Fast Forward to today... 
    Our lease is up at the end of this month which is no surprise to anyone. She still doesn't have confirmation of whether a gardener is going to come in and do the gardens. I have brought it up nicely with her a couple of times over the last two months and have pointed out that if we can't get a gardener it would be nice to know so we can do it ourselves instead of having our bond be held back (I also knew of a few places we could get vouchers for cheaper rates and offered to book it myself). 
    She tells me not to worry, she will organise and it will all be fine.. FI and I even offered to do it and she said no, she wants a professional. 

It's two full days in the garden at least. I hate gardening but if it means I get my bond back I will do it. 

I like to be super organised so this is really frustrating, on top of them just being terrible at cleaning. No amount of talking to them has worked. M and L seem to think "everything is fine". That and she hasn't had reimbursement from the property manager yet for the two times we have had the gardener come though... That was last year. 

On the plus side settlement day for our new home is on Tuesday! And getting married in March! Woohoo! 

Yay!  That is a lot of awesome, great stuff happening!

I suspect you'll love your current flatmates even more as friends, once they're no longer your flatmates ;).

In New Zealand, is "settlement day" the day when your house purchase is a done deal and keys are (potentially) turned over?  Or am I making a wrong assumption?  In the U.S. and (I think) Canada, we call that the closing day.

Are you all moving into the new house right away?  Waiting until after the wedding?  And/or have painting/renovations to do first?

SIAB 

Re: flatmates - hell yes I'm so excited to go back to being friends! Looking forward to not having to wear pants around the house as well. 

Settlement day is getting your keys, name on title changes and  handing over cash day. So that sounds like closing day! 

We will be moving in over the weekend after settlement and have a few ideas of what needs to be done around the house. First thing is the roof needs about $5k of work done, ideally before winter. I also want new carpet, paint job, bathroom, kitchen and laundry... But also want to go on a big overseas holiday (Canada or USA). 

Mini follow up vent - was pulled into an unexpected meeting with a client this morning. 3 hours later and I can finally have lunch! 

Oh yes, settlement day sounds the same as closing day.  Thanks, I always like to expand my English vocabulary outside of American English, when I get the opportunity.

Unfortunately, I know WAY too much about renovations, lol.  So here are a few tips.  If you can swing the time and the money to replace the carpets after the settlement day, but before you all move in, it will make life a lot easier.  If not, it can still be done, just with more temporarily moving furniture from room to room.  Same with painting.  I know it is a lot of work, especially with moving, but it is tons faster and a lot easier to paint when a room is empty or at least doesn't have anything against the walls.  Even if you all can only knock out a room or two ahead of time, it really helps.

Bathroom, kitchen, and laundry can wait.  It's a bummer to live in a construction zone while those kind of renos are being done, but it's doable.  And there aren't the added obstacles of having to move around furniture and stuff.

Roof work is expensive, but its usually very fast.  At least in my area, roofing companies can remove an old roof and put on a brand new one in one day.  Though it wouldn't surprise me if roof repairs take a little longer, lol.

Yay big overseas trip!  Canada and the USA are both such huge countries geographically.  SO many great places to visit, it's overwhelming.  I live in the US and have trouble choosing, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker