Wedding Woes

Vent

Re: Vent

• What ever happened to Amazon's Prime membership free 2-day shipping promise?

Excuse me but, isn't that what I'm paying an annual membership fee for?

I can't remember the last time I ordered a Prime item and it came in only 2 days.  Though it's usually only 3-4 days.

But today takes the cake.  So, good news first, an item I've been waiting months for finally came back for sale (Have'a Chips).  When I got the notification e-mail, I zipped over like a rocket to place my order.

It is a Prime item.  Scheduled to arrive sometime between Jan. 5th-Jan. 9th.  So, the soonest it will come is an entire WEEK from now.  But it could be a week and a half.  What the serious f**k?

The last Prime item I ordered was the week before Christmas.  I  was told it would arrive Dec. 24th.  They didn't even ship it until yesterday!

I'm going to e-mail a complaint to customer service and see what happens.  At this point, I'm thinking about asking to have my Prime Membership cancelled and my pro-rated fee refunded back to me.  I mean, I've paid X for Y service and am not getting a SUBSTANTIAL part of Y service.

About a month ago, I noticed that instead of "Free Two-Day Shipping" the shipping speed was "Two Business Days."  I had never seen that before, and I have seen it more times since than I consider to be acceptable.

Last Wednesday, I was trying to get a couple books for DH so he had something to unwrap besides his Yeti, and all 6 books I tried to order were "Prime eligible, shipped and sold by Amazon."  Not a one would have arrived before Jan 3.  Not even if I paid $15.99 for "One Day Shipping" (they would have arrived by Dec. 30!!!).  All items were in stock, and none said, "Only 2 left in stock," or whatever.

So I googled the issue, and apparently a lot of people have been complaining about this for some time.  From what I understand, the Prime Two-Day shipping is not "Two-Day Delivery," as in, you order Weds, it's there's by Friday.  It's order Weds and it SHIPS by Friday.  And then it's just a guess as to when it will arrive.

ANYWAY.  It's been pissing me off, too.  I feel ya.  I have literally one day before my subscription renews (THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!!! :) ) to decide if it's worth it, and I am seriously considering canceling my membership, too. 

Thanks for the clarification.  Amazon's advertising acts like you receive the products in two days, but I guess they really mean in the fine print that it ships in two days.  Except even that is not always happening.

Full disclosure, I got an e-mail that my Have'a chips have already shipped.  So I'll be a little less bent out of shape now.  But the expected arrival is still the same.

I'm wondering if they changed the level of shipping they do for Prime orders.  It just seems like orders used to arrive a lot faster.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had the Amazon Prime shipping issue too and I complained and they extended my membership an extra month because it was about to expire but I didn't renew it bc I couldn't see paying full price for unreliable shipping 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2016

What ever happened to Amazon's Prime membership free 2-day shipping promise?

Excuse me but, isn't that what I'm paying an annual membership fee for?

I can't remember the last time I ordered a Prime item and it came in only 2 days.  Though it's usually only 3-4 days.

But today takes the cake.  So, good news first, an item I've been waiting months for finally came back for sale (Have'a Chips).  When I got the notification e-mail, I zipped over like a rocket to place my order.

It is a Prime item.  Scheduled to arrive sometime between Jan. 5th-Jan. 9th.  So, the soonest it will come is an entire WEEK from now.  But it could be a week and a half.  What the serious f**k?

The last Prime item I ordered was the week before Christmas.  I  was told it would arrive Dec. 24th.  They didn't even ship it until yesterday!

I'm going to e-mail a complaint to customer service and see what happens.  At this point, I'm thinking about asking to have my Prime Membership cancelled and my pro-rated fee refunded back to me.  I mean, I've paid X for Y service and am not getting a SUBSTANTIAL part of Y service.

About a month ago, I noticed that instead of "Free Two-Day Shipping" the shipping speed was "Two Business Days."  I had never seen that before, and I have seen it more times since than I consider to be acceptable.

Last Wednesday, I was trying to get a couple books for DH so he had something to unwrap besides his Yeti, and all 6 books I tried to order were "Prime eligible, shipped and sold by Amazon."  Not a one would have arrived before Jan 3.  Not even if I paid $15.99 for "One Day Shipping" (they would have arrived by Dec. 30!!!).  All items were in stock, and none said, "Only 2 left in stock," or whatever.

So I googled the issue, and apparently a lot of people have been complaining about this for some time.  From what I understand, the Prime Two-Day shipping is not "Two-Day Delivery," as in, you order Weds, it's there's by Friday.  It's order Weds and it SHIPS by Friday.  And then it's just a guess as to when it will arrive.

ANYWAY.  It's been pissing me off, too.  I feel ya.  I have literally one day before my subscription renews (THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!!! :) ) to decide if it's worth it, and I am seriously considering canceling my membership, too. 
    Oh. My. Word. Yes. Amazon's processing times have increased insanely. I live in Alaska, which means prime shipping is 3-7 business days. I ordered a gift for my BIL on Dec. 17 (Saturday). That same day, I ordered two other gifts from two other retailers with free shipping. Both shipped within 48 hours and arrived by Christmas. 

Tuesday evening (two days ago), I chatted the Amazon customer service people because it hadn't even shipped yet!!! After runaround from the rep and him upgrading me to 1 day free shipping, and me trying to be nice but having to repeatedly ask him why it's been 6 business days (Tuesday was the sixth, not including observed Christmas on Monday as a business day) and it hasn't even shipped yet and him telling me prime is different in Alaska (which I know and was not at all what I was asking), he finally tells me that 3-7 business days just applies to when it actually ships. To which I responded and told him so Amazon can have a month-long processing time if they want and why am I paying for prime if I'm not getting what I'm paying for? And am I going to have to contact them every time to make sure I'm not being ripped off? To which he responds, what can I do to make stuff ok for you. To which I respond, dude, I know this is above your head. Thanks for your help in resolving this order but just so you know, not your fault, but I'm seriously considering stopping prime because I'm not getting what we pay for, and then ended the convo. 

I know a lot of other people with similar complaints. By the way, the next day (I chatted late in the evening), I got the notification it shipped. Who knows how long it would have been if I hadn't reached out. 
  • Count me in with the same AmazonPrime problems. I've been a prime member since 2009 and this year has been considerably worse than the past. I wonder if it's that so many more people are prime members now that there used to be, so processing is taking longer? I've read some of the exposes about working conditions in the warehouses and it's pretty terrible. Seems like they're unable to deliver on many of the promises they're making. Also I live in a small Midwestern city, it's pretty easy to get things to me and I still have the same issues. 

I have an ongoing issue with a third party seller now that I'm hoping Amazon will resolve. They refused to give me a prepaid return label, a US based return address, or full refund. The seller wanted to me return to China or keep with a 15% refund. I know that happens on eBay, but Amazon is supposed to screen they're seller policies better. 
  • I'm gonna vent for M's sake {not about! Although I could ...}

So M got a few games on sale for PS4, and while installing/updating them, realized we needed to increase drive size. Cool, M did that with Xbox One and an external drive.
    APPARENTLY SONY HAS ISSUES!!

When M tried to boost memory in PS3, he had a huge freakin issue because he had to take basically the damn thing apart. Not cool. Seems PS4 is same deal, so he's pissed off because we spent all day waiting for the external drive to format {it took 5hrs} and it was all for nothing :(
  • I'm interested to read so many people having problems with Prime because I'm literally addicted to it (place an order at least every week) and I've never had these issues! Did y'all just start to have problems over the holidays (which, IMO, is understandable since I'm sure they are flooded with orders this time of year) or have you been noticing the delayed shipping for a while now? Now I'm scared it's going to start to go downhill for me soon!

Now that I think about it though, Amazon Prime has always seemed kind of too good to last... I use it so much, I would definitely pay more to keep the service as consistent as it is for me now. Wonder if I'll have to soon.
  • FWIW, I've seen some problems w/ Prime.   On cyber Monday I bought plates for DD's birthday party (Jake and the Neverland Pirates).   They were delivered THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.   Her party was Saturday.   They should have been delivered by Thursday.   Luckily the Jake plates were backups.

When we were finalizing our shipping for our Ohio relatives we saw so many items that were Prime eligible that wouldn't be delivered until after Christmas.

I get being overwhelmed.   But I also think that you need to throw a bone to your customers when you are.   When my company is late on non rush orders, we expedite the freight at our cost.   Amazon should do the same. 
  • I'm interested to read so many people having problems with Prime because I'm literally addicted to it (place an order at least every week) and I've never had these issues! Did y'all just start to have problems over the holidays (which, IMO, is understandable since I'm sure they are flooded with orders this time of year) or have you been noticing the delayed shipping for a while now? Now I'm scared it's going to start to go downhill for me soon!

Now that I think about it though, Amazon Prime has always seemed kind of too good to last... I use it so much, I would definitely pay more to keep the service as consistent as it is for me now. Wonder if I'll have to soon.
    No, it feels like it's been a problem for close to a year now. I've heard of some people like you not having a problem but way more that do have problems. The last town I lived in, there was a local Facebook group where someone asked about Prime issues, and there were hundreds of comments of people chiming in about the problem and maybe two or three people who said it was great for them. 

I told the customer service rep that I understand some delay due to the holidays but not literally a delay of the entire shipping time I'm paying for! And I did mention to him that I had ordered the same day from two other retailers, choosing not to pay for faster shipping but just using the free option, and received them before Christmas. Days before the Amazon order even shipped. 
  • It's not just shipping, I think they are also slowly changing their "Free Returns" policy.  About a month ago, we ordered a new router sold by Amazon that was slated to have "Free Returns." It ended up being the wrong one, so we had to return it, and as I was clicking through the return screen, I had to pick a "Reason for Return."  I was honest, since I never had a problem with returns before, and picked "Item no longer needed," and was shocked to find I had to pay $17 in shipping to return the $100 item.  When I pushed back with customer service, they said, "We cover shipping costs for returns only when there was a mistake on our end."  Ummm... Since when?  They ended up refunding me the shipping because I wouldn't drop the issue, but still.

I have since slowed all buying on Amazon, except for dog food and my other Subscribe and Save items

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I've heard the working conditions things rather first-hand from people who've been there, which makes me less keen to keep paying amazon...

Back when amazon was 'just' a bookstore, I had issues w/ them and boycotted for like 5 years (and for me to boycott a bookstore?  sheesh).  I've not had major prime issues, but I'm having a few
  • It's not just shipping, I think they are also slowly changing their "Free Returns" policy.  About a month ago, we ordered a new router sold by Amazon that was slated to have "Free Returns." It ended up being the wrong one, so we had to return it, and as I was clicking through the return screen, I had to pick a "Reason for Return."  I was honest, since I never had a problem with returns before, and picked "Item no longer needed," and was shocked to find I had to pay $17 in shipping to return the $100 item.  When I pushed back with customer service, they said, "We cover shipping costs for returns only when there was a mistake on our end."  Ummm... Since when?  They ended up refunding me the shipping because I wouldn't drop the issue, but still.

I have since slowed all buying on Amazon, except for dog food and my other Subscribe and Save items
    This happened with on two items from Christmas! I didn't think about calling customer service - I should've.
  • @drglitter - I wish you the best of luck TTC-ing! I was in your shoes for months - after I went off the pill, my cycle was at least 31 days each month - so I know how frustrating and crushing the not pregnant/no AF limbo can be. Hang in there! Hugs for you!

Re: PPs and Amazon Prime - little late to the convo here, but I have been off all week - the thing that pisses me off the most about Amazon Prime is the way they change the "guaranteed" delivery date so they can avoid having their delivery records tarnished. Half the time I have ordered from Amazon Prime, the initial guaranteed delivery date is, say, the 2nd. But then on the 2nd, I get an email from Amazon saying the delivery date has been changed (no explanation) to the 5th. And then it arrives on the 5th and I get that stupid survey email asking me to rate the shipment - and the first question is "did your package arrive by the 5th?" Well, yes Amazon, it did arrive by the 5th. But it was actually supposed to arrive by the 2nd.

The other times I have ordered with Amazon Prime they have used a 3rd party delivery service company called LaserShip and these guys really suck. They have no motivation to deliver on time and a few times they have lost my shipment. And if you call LaserShip, they have an attitude. And Amazon doesn't really care because they have a contract with LaserShip so there's not much they can do. //end rant.
  • Also don't buy fire extinguishers on Amazon and then decide the next day that you don't actually want them because even though they won't ship for another two weeks, you can't cancel the order and customer service will tell you there is nothing they can do.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @drglitter I had the same but kind of opposite problem this month. I was supposed to get an IUD last month, but after I arrived and was in the procedure room found out there were insurance billing issues. They couldn't guarantee the new device they switched to from Skyla would be covered. So we pushed it back to this month to make sure it would be covered 100%.

I am always right on time or a few days early. This month I was 10 days late! AF arrived at the end of day 10. That limbo period was the absolute worst! 
  • Count me in with the same AmazonPrime problems. I've been a prime member since 2009 and this year has been considerably worse than the past. I wonder if it's that so many more people are prime members now that there used to be, so processing is taking longer? I've read some of the exposes about working conditions in the warehouses and it's pretty terrible. Seems like they're unable to deliver on many of the promises they're making. Also I live in a small Midwestern city, it's pretty easy to get things to me and I still have the same issues. 

I have an ongoing issue with a third party seller now that I'm hoping Amazon will resolve. They refused to give me a prepaid return label, a US based return address, or full refund. The seller wanted to me return to China or keep with a 15% refund. I know that happens on eBay, but Amazon is supposed to screen they're seller policies better. 
    Amazon is the The Devil Wears Prada of the Supply Chain world.  If you can make it there one year, you can get a job anywhere.
  • FW is tormenting me with statistics about the last time Ohio State lost a bowl game. I know she's not a Buckeyes fan, but does she have to keep rubbing it in?
  •  I have a kid that works for me.  His mom is a helicopter parent.   She said he can work on Sunday (Jan 1).  When we called her to see where he was she said "she thought she asked for him not to work that day".  Then she said "oh, I just noticed the text I sent you last week said he could work on Sunday."   Said kid also works for me at the club.  I knew for a fact he worked NYE and didn't get out until very late.    

Regardless, kid is in trouble for not showing up for work because mommy is his go between.     I fault mom more because I don't think the kid has ever been given the opportunity to be responsible on his own, at least at home. He is only 16 or 17.   A good worker at both jobs.  Doesn't need a lot of supervision, does what's asked of him, asks questions, etc.  I just think mom has convinced him he needs her help.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Today, a caseworker came into our unit wearing ridiculously heavy perfume. Someone needs to tell her that she smells like oven cleaner.
  • I've had issues on and off with Prime for the last 18 months or so - and I've been a Prime member since the beginning. I order from Amazon at least weekly, if not multiple times each week. Most of the time my stuff arrives in 2 days, but I've given them hell any time it doesn't. (From the beginning, in the US, it should be delivered within 2 business days if the order was placed by a specific time - say 1pm EST - and if it was placed late in the day, then 3 business day delivery). I've ordered 3rd party items through Amazon, from Japan, that have arrived in a week - so whenever someone tells me that domestic shipping will take longer than that, they're full of shit. 

I think the issues that have come up the last couple of years are: 
    1) volume of customers has increased more than carrier capacity. It's not just Amazon, but the volume of online ordering has increased substantially, while delivery service options haven't. I've been seeing more packages routed to USPS rather than delivered through UPS.  This can add on time, especially because our local post office sucks hard.
    2) outsourced call centers to countries where Amazon service is unavailable. (If you're reading off a script, and you've never placed an order through Amazon, you're probably not qualified to troubleshoot) - at this point, I ask to be connected to a CSR in the US. 
    3) insufficient staffing/training at pick centers. 

I always call. Making it right generally consists on a free month or so of Prime to a full refund, to overnighting a replacement item, to an account credit, or a combo of these things. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    I've had issues on and off with Prime for the last 18 months or so - and I've been a Prime member since the beginning. I order from Amazon at least weekly, if not multiple times each week. Most of the time my stuff arrives in 2 days, but I've given them hell any time it doesn't. (From the beginning, in the US, it should be delivered within 2 business days if the order was placed by a specific time - say 1pm EST - and if it was placed late in the day, then 3 business day delivery). I've ordered 3rd party items through Amazon, from Japan, that have arrived in a week - so whenever someone tells me that domestic shipping will take longer than that, they're full of shit. 

I think the issues that have come up the last couple of years are: 
    1) volume of customers has increased more than carrier capacity. It's not just Amazon, but the volume of online ordering has increased substantially, while delivery service options haven't. I've been seeing more packages routed to USPS rather than delivered through UPS.  This can add on time, especially because our local post office sucks hard.
    2) outsourced call centers to countries where Amazon service is unavailable. (If you're reading off a script, and you've never placed an order through Amazon, you're probably not qualified to troubleshoot) - at this point, I ask to be connected to a CSR in the US. 
    3) insufficient staffing/training at pick centers. 

I always call. Making it right generally consists on a free month or so of Prime to a full refund, to overnighting a replacement item, to an account credit, or a combo of these things. 
    I now live in CO.  If I don't place an order by 11am it's normally a 3 day delivery.  Even when it says "order in the next 'x' hours/minutes and get the item by 'y' date" it rarely ever does.     I don't order stuff regularly, so it's not really an issue for me, but I do feel like it's a bit of false advertising.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In some cases I can see that the "Freebie" aspect will wear out.   I think you should expect to pay to ship something back to return it IF the reason for the return is that you simply don't want to keep it.   If the reason for the return is a defect or delay then by all means I think they need to pay.   

• banana468 said:
    In some cases I can see that the "Freebie" aspect will wear out.   I think you should expect to pay to ship something back to return it IF the reason for the return is that you simply don't want to keep it.   If the reason for the return is a defect or delay then by all means I think they need to pay.   

^^^ I hate clothing retailers with this policy because it's so hard to know how something will fit. I would rather order a few sizes and ship the ones i don't want back (or return free in a physical store) rather than go through a convoluted exchange process if the first item doesn't fit as expected.

This is why I recently paid more to order a swimsuit from Zappos rather than from Swimsuits for All - I ordered the same suit in 3 sizes from Zappos, got it in a day, tried them on, kept one, and sent the others back a day later for a full refund - free shipping all the way. Swimsuits for All charges you for return shipping if you don't exchange essentially like for like, and it becomes a convoluted mess that takes months of calls and e-mails to sort through. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:
    In some cases I can see that the "Freebie" aspect will wear out.   I think you should expect to pay to ship something back to return it IF the reason for the return is that you simply don't want to keep it.   If the reason for the return is a defect or delay then by all means I think they need to pay.   

^^^ I hate clothing retailers with this policy because it's so hard to know how something will fit. I would rather order a few sizes and ship the ones i don't want back (or return free in a physical store) rather than go through a convoluted exchange process if the first item doesn't fit as expected.

This is why I recently paid more to order a swimsuit from Zappos rather than from Swimsuits for All - I ordered the same suit in 3 sizes from Zappos, got it in a day, tried them on, kept one, and sent the others back a day later for a full refund - free shipping all the way. Swimsuits for All charges you for return shipping if you don't exchange essentially like for like, and it becomes a convoluted mess that takes months of calls and e-mails to sort through. 
    YES!  That really irritated me about S4A.  Thankfully, I have enough suits now that I won't need to buy any this summer, but I'd think twice before ordering from them again. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:

I'm a big fan of that with clothes - agreed.

But I'm more thinking of deciding to return electronics or toys or anything that isn't clothing.   Things like the Elmo I purchased for DS for Christmas, books for DD and the TV DH has purchased recently are things that aren't tried on.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:

YES!  That really irritated me about S4A.  Thankfully, I have enough suits now that I won't need to buy any this summer, but I'd think twice before ordering from them again. 
    I have that same issue with Herroom.com and well...basically any online lingerie retailer. I'm currently a 34K and there is one store around me that sells that size, but of course the in-store options are minimal ("Would you like beige, beige, or black? Ok and would you like that in granny or great-granny?"). Herroom has a great selection, but if it doesn't fit right, I have to pay return shipping. It's frustrating because I'm a 34K in Elomi, but a 32J in Fantasie so I can't just buy a damn bra!
  • banana468 said:

I'm a big fan of that with clothes - agreed.

But I'm more thinking of deciding to return electronics or toys or anything that isn't clothing.   Things like the Elmo I purchased for DS for Christmas, books for DD and the TV DH has purchased recently are things that aren't tried on.
    Yeah, i wouldn't return something like that unless it was defective, a duplicate, or the price was better elsewhere and they won't price-match. 
  • I'm finished with the following sort of conversation:

Person:  "says stupid/insulting thing"
    Me:  Hi!  This probably isn't the message you want to send because it's fairly insulting to X and Y.  
    Person:  I don't understand why what I said was insulting
    Me:  Allow me to explain.  Your statement is based on A and B, which are incorrect facts and/or assumptions.  
    Person:  I disagree.
    Me:  Okay.  Why?
    Person:  Because.
    Me:  Okay, that's not a reason.  Can you give me a reason that you would disagree with my facts?
    Person: I just don't think it is.
    Me:

• Reading all of this about amazon makes so much more sense.  I was just thinking to myself the other day that Prime isn't what it used to be.  

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2017
    mrsconn23 said:
    *Barbie* said:
    banana468 said:

I bought a couple of suits from S4A a few years back and haven't bothered since. They still fit fairly well (after multiple rounds of exchanges and the months long refund drama), but they're getting worn/faded so I wanted something new for our cruise. It's stupid that you can't get swimsuits in December - even Zappos only had a few styles available.