Wedding Party

Out of town bride

2»

Re: Out of town bride

• I live in the UK and am getting married in Canada in April (where I am from). People at my church always throw a shower for those linked to the church and people tend to be very generous. I know people will want to give us gifts, even though I am trying to be clear that we don't expect them and are just happy to share this time of our lives with our friends and family. Despite this, most people have already told me that they want to throw us a shower and give gifts. We know this and have registered specifically so guests can buy gifts and have the store send to us. We are trying to tell people, by word of mouth, that this is the best option for us, otherwise please don't worry about giving us anything.

In a long distance situation, gifts CAN be impractical. Especially when you are dealing with having to pay what the gifts might have cost to ship them. Then, it doesn't become a gift anymore, even though the thought was sweet. I don't see an issue with being upfront about this issue to your guests and offering them a solution (registry with a shop that will ship to you). Just make it clear that you aren't expecting any gifts but if they choose to bless you with something, could they please buy online and have it sent to you. It is nonsense to suggest that only physical gifts are appropriate at a shower, especially when there are some easy alternatives. 
  • Holy shit, you only need to hit 'post' ONCE.
  • did your computer have a spasm or something?
  • I am also in the military and had my shower back home. The guests brought gifts mostly, from my BBB registry, and a few brought gift cards. Because my mother is wonderful, she took all the gifts to BBB, returned them, then re-purchased them and sent them all to me. I was in the middle of a PCS (move) and therefore didnt have an address for people to send gifts to. But it also allowed a gift-opening, games, and a "normal" shower setting. If you have family willing to make a few drives to BBB to do this reutrn/rebuy/ship thing then it is available for you because BBB is awesome with working with their customers. Just an option. That way you dont have to dictate to your guests what to do or bring.
  • Good lord, 7 posts?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards