Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gift Never Arrived - What to do?

Hello all! I have a question regarding wedding gift etiquette. 

For our wedding, my (now) husband and I registered at Amazon. Amazon allows you to see when a gift was purchased for you, and by whom. 

Well, there is one gift that was purchased several weeks ago, but still has not arrived. We live in an apartment building, and I am concerned that someone stole the package from our front porch. But, there are other possible explanations as well, including standard shipping issues. 

This has been driving me crazy, because I want to make sure the gift is received (obviously!). But, I don't really know what I can do. Amazon does not allow the gift recipient to track the package; instead, only the purchaser can track the package. 

It seems logical to me to reach out to the buyer, and let them know of the shipping issues. However, the gift giver is not a close friend or relative, and is actually my boss at work. 

So, what does etiquette dictate here? Is it tacky to ask him to look up the tracking information and see what the status of the package is? Do I just let it go? 
Furthermore, I had been waiting to send individual thank you cards until the actual gift has been received. But, considering the delay, should I just send the thank you card now? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no experience with any of this!

Thank you!

Re: Gift Never Arrived - What to do?

• Options
    Have you tried to call up Amazon and explain the situation?  You may not be able to track the package online but a customer service representative may be able to give you a bit more detail.  I would try that first.

• Options
    If you contact amazon support they can tell you if the gift was shipped to your address. If it was shipped to another address, they cannot tell you where it went. I had this same thing come up with my amazon registry. Turns out my aunt (who couldn't attend) shipped her gift to my mom to be brought to the reception rather than sending it to my house.
  • Options
    Is it possible that they didn't have it sent to you? That they had it shipped to their address and they're planning to give it to you themselves?

Anniversary
  • Options
    Amazon has amaaaazing customer service. I've had gifts stolen from my front porch during holiday season before, and they immediately sent me replacements - no questions asked.
  • Options
    We registered at Amazon too, and you get the "your gift will be arriving soon!" email when the gift is purchased and shipped, not necessarily shipped to YOU (is a misleading email, yes....). Several friends had the item shipped to them and then gave us the gift in person later. 

So I guess I wouldn't even worry yet if I was you, but you could try calling Amazon customer service to see what info you can get out of them. 
  • Options
    If Amazon can tell you if the gift was shipped directly to you, then I think you could politely let the giver know that there must have been some kind of problem with the shipping and that they should follow up on it.  If necessary, you could tell her that you were reconciling your thank you notes with the registry and noticed it was purchased but you never received it.

If they say the gift was shipped to the giver, then she should be aware if it was never delivered to her and I'd think she would follow up on it on her own, or she might still have it and hasn't given it to you yet.
  • Options
    Wow, thank you for all the great ideas! I will call Amazon and verify where it was shipped, and then go from there. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards