Snarky Brides
Options

Venting about the engagement ring

Ok so my fiance and I had orginally fought about the ring that I wanted but he couldn't do. We are starting to get over it now so we are alright. But when I had asked for opinions about what to do some women just were completely rude. You don't know my situation or our finances or anything about our relationship. Who the hell do you think you are?

Re: Venting about the engagement ring

• Options

Ok so my fiance and I had orginally fought about the ring that I wanted but he couldn't do. We are starting to get over it now so we are alright. But when I had asked for opinions about what to do some women just were completely rude. You don't know my situation or our finances or anything about our relationship. Who the hell do you think you are?
    You're right, we don't because we are strangers to you, but you chose to ask people who don't know you and then get mad because we don't know about your finances or relationship? Then ask family and friends who do know you, or don't get mad at some of the answers you get from the ladies on TK.
    Anniversary

• Options

this is called a vent right? I'm just expressing my opinion. that's all nothing more

• Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I just still don't understand why you are back in your ring thread agreeing with people now and then making a new thread to bitch about the people you're now agreeing with. 

Yes, I agree. This makes no sense at all. 
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I just still don't understand why you are back in your ring thread agreeing with people now and then making a new thread to bitch about the people you're now agreeing with. 

Yes, I agree. This makes no sense at all. 
    Agree... honestly, I was a little confused why you were venting here when you seemed to agree with the responses you got over there, it made me wonder if there was a DD I missed...(?)

• Options
    I also have read both threads and am completely confused. I think that the fact that your FI even bought you a ring was generous. It's very generous for ANYONE to get their significant other an engagement ring. I understand that you had some kind of childhood dream about a ring, but obviously your FI can't afford it, and you need to get over that. Fighting over his generosity is a terrible way to start a marriage.

Also a ring doesn't make a marriage. My sister and her FI have a lower income and are very much in love and engaged. She does not have a ring because they are making it their priority to save money to move from where they currently live back up to the Philadelphia area where our family is. They are also getting married through the JOP. They are one of the happiest couples I know. She didn't need a ring to be happy. None of us should NEED a ring to be happy, including you.
  • Options
    Ok, so I don't know if this sounds selfish or not but I would love some opinions about this. My fiance and I have been engaged before and we got into a big fight broke off our engagement but we were still together. a few months later we got engaged again, he got me a new ring that I picked out I didn't love it but I knew it was in his price range so I was being pratical for him, and there is this ring that I have loved for a long time now from the first engagement. And ok I'll admit it i've brought the subject up more than a few times. I tried everything to get him on board, hinting, showing him the picture telling him that he can do monthly payments. He's always coming up with something says that he wouldn't be able to do the monthly payments, and that he can't afford the ring, I always bring it up blah blah blah. But I really do love this ring and of course I don't expect it right now, but I would love for him to say Ok babe that sounds great I'll see what I can do. That's all I want..Am I the one at fault here? Or is it him? Or is it both of us? Help please!"

You  straight out asked for opinions.  Anyways, if that ring is so important to you, why don't you just save up for it yourself and buy it for yourself?
  • Options
    well thanks for everyone to say what they wanted to say.
  • Options

@doey, thanks for putting that up. Wasn't sure where to find the original. Nikita, a little confused though from your original post- you picked out a ring in the price range, but there's a ring from your previous engagement that you absolutely loved. Did you have the ring in previous engagement and sell it? Or was it just an option on the table that was later determined to be outside of budget?

Just a personal opinion here- going into debt for wedding expenses, rings, etc., is a horrible idea. Why start your life together with all that expense? Isn't the person you marry more important than jewelry? I'm sorry, Nikita, but I think you were out of line on this one. You asked your FI about it, he said it wasn't something he could do, and instead of dropping it, you started bugging him about payment plans. It's a ring, not a house.

POD on the comments about "post on a public forum, expect to get public answers/ones you don't like" I've gotten responses I don't like. Instead of being personally offended, I take it as a different perspective, one that I had not necessarily fully considered. I've even ended up changing my idea/thought/opinion after hearing the others.

POD on idea of save up and buy the ring yourself. Alternatively, if it is your absolute dream ring/never want another, start a savings jar with "___ year anniversary" on it and have that be a future big anniversary present.

• Options
    Oh, this is rich. I responded to your original post. I stand by what I said - you sounded selfish and greedy. Why would you even want your FI to have to overextend himself for the ring you want that he can't afford?

And no one was even that rude to you. 

Who the hell do I think I am? A person that clearly has my priorities straight because I couldn't give a damn about having an expensive engagement ring. 
    I didn't read OP's original post about her engagement ring, but from what I am gathering from all of you ladies and from what OP even stated first in THIS topic, I agree with ClimbingBrideNY. The girls who go around saying that they NEED an expensive engagement ring in order to say "Yes" is ridiculous!

Southernbelle0915 has a good point - A happy marriage does not happen because your FI is loaded. A happy marriage does not come from your FI putting himself in debt to buy you a ring that he clearly can not afford. Seriously you sound like the guys and girls that do the whole "Well if you really loved me you would ____" If you think that is love, then you have no idea what it is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First off, I do love my fiance with all my heart. And second, we are over that situation it happened a while ago we are happy and so excited to be getting married. My fiance knows that I would do anything for him so don't you dare question my love for him. Yes I was misguided by some things and yes it is my fault. But don't you dare think that I did it because I don't love him or because you think I don't love him you have no idea what we have been through and what we have done in order just to be together. I do want the absolute best for my fiance just as much as he wants it for me, as I said before yes i was wrong in this aspect and I don't like the fact that I did it.
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    Ok, so I don't know if this sounds selfish or not but I would love some opinions about this. My fiance and I have been engaged before and we got into a big fight broke off our engagement but we were still together. a few months later we got engaged again, he got me a new ring that I picked out I didn't love it but I knew it was in his price range so I was being pratical for him, and there is this ring that I have loved for a long time now from the first engagement. And ok I'll admit it i've brought the subject up more than a few times. I tried everything to get him on board, hinting, showing him the picture telling him that he can do monthly payments. He's always coming up with something says that he wouldn't be able to do the monthly payments, and that he can't afford the ring, I always bring it up blah blah blah. But I really do love this ring and of course I don't expect it right now, but I would love for him to say Ok babe that sounds great I'll see what I can do. That's all I want..Am I the one at fault here? Or is it him? Or is it both of us? Help please!"

You  straight out asked for opinions.  Anyways, if that ring is so important to you, why don't you just save up for it yourself and buy it for yourself?
    So has this guy now bought you two rings on two separate occasions for two engagements to him?
  • Options

I know this may not be the popular opinion, but I can understand wanting to have a ring you really enoy and are drawn to because chances are you will be wearing it every day for the rest of your life.  BIG HOWEVER:  With that said, if "perfect ring" is outside of your fiance's budget, then you need to be willing to pony up the dough to pay the difference.

(General snark, not directed at OP) Don't have the money to do that?  Well, neither does your fiance. Get over it and pick a different ring. Then save for an "upgrade" at the 5 or 10 year anniversary.

Fun story. My wedding rings have been passed down in my family (not my DH's). At the brunch on the day after our wedding he was laughing at something my 5-year-old niece said and told me, "You know what would be so neat to do? When (niece) gets engaged 20 years or so down the road, I'd love for us to offer her your ring."  My response said very enthusiastically was, "That is a GREAT IDEA!!!  (pause)  And now is the perfect time for you to start saving for that big rock!"  Totally joking, of course, but his momentary stunned look was hilarious.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tmclawchick nailed it on the head. A ring does not base the marriages happiness. A couple's strength is not based on the material goods of a "perfect ring" or a "prefect wedding" etc. but on the willingness to work through things and the actual love and work put into the relationship. My ring isn't the biggest or even the shiniest but my fiance worked hard to get it and I love it. Just be happy someone loves you enough to stay with you for the rest of your life, because that is so rare these days.
  • Options
    Of course I know that a ring isn't based off of happiness, we had actually settled on what we want to do months ago. But I just wanted to see other people's opinions so I posted it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards