Snarky Brides

Venting about the engagement ring

2»

Re: Venting about the engagement ring

• LDay2014LDay2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Of course I know that a ring isn't based off of happiness, we had actually settled on what we want to do months ago. But I just wanted to see other people's opinions so I posted it.
    oh okay, so you wanted some validation...please...
    And you weren't seeking opinions.  You were 'venting' aka unhappy about it and looking to have someone commiserate with you and tell you you were right.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Of course I know that a ring isn't based off of happiness, we had actually settled on what we want to do months ago. But I just wanted to see other people's opinions so I posted it.
    And you weren't seeking opinions.  You were 'venting' aka unhappy about it and looking to have someone commiserate with you and tell you you were right.
    I'm with @lauracichelly on this one. I mean dear Oden's raven! Who fights over what engagement ring they are going to have?! That's ridiculous.

• aefitz29 said:
    I'm with @lauracichelly on this one. I mean dear Oden's raven! Who fights over what engagement ring they are going to have?! That's ridiculous.
    Bold caught my eye =) made me smile really big haha.

I agree with both PPs here....you sound like you're just not ready to be getting married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009 said:
    aefitz29 said:

I agree with both PPs here....you sound like you're just not ready to be getting married.
    Same here. :) Are you ladies excited for the sequel or do you think it's going to be dumb?
    *********************************************************************************

• CLI242009 said:
    aefitz29 said:

Same here. :) Are you ladies excited for the sequel or do you think it's going to be dumb?
    I'm excited!!! Especially after the real live newscast he did the other day. In case you have been living under a rock and haven't seen Ron Burgundy anchoring a real live news show:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/ferrell-anchors-real-newscast-ron-burgundy-article-1.1534193
  • aefitz29 said:
    CLI242009 said:
    aefitz29 said:

I'm excited!!! Especially after the real live newscast he did the other day. In case you have been living under a rock and haven't seen Ron Burgundy anchoring a real live news show:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/ferrell-anchors-real-newscast-ron-burgundy-article-1.1534193
    By the beard of Zeus!! I hadn't seen that. I'm watching the whole thing tonight. Thanks, fitz! 
    *********************************************************************************

• CLI242009 said:
    aefitz29 said:

That made me laugh too! And I can't wait for the sequel. I'm dragging FI to it that weekend. 
  • wajohnson09wajohnson09 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

CLI242009 said:

aefitz29 said:

That made me laugh too! And I can't wait for the
    sequel. I'm dragging FI to it that weekend. 

-----------------------/----------------------------
    Sweet Lincoln's Mullet!!! Glad there's other Burgundy fans on here :)

OP- is it really about the ring or is there something else wrong in the relationship you're just focusing on ring instead?
    Also- do you want to force your guy to buy you the ring of your dreams reluctantly or be happy with the ring he gave you all on his own with no pushing (I'm assuming)?
    Just food for thought....

Eta: box thingy not working
  • I'll give OP a benefit of a doubt that she was just venting, realized her errors, and moved on.

I was totally hooked on everything glamorous about weddings- the dress, the ring, the flowers, etc. I had my ring picked out months before he asked. If he picked out a different one, honestly, I would of probably been upset too. 

Now, I barely even wear my rings. I'm lucky if I wear it 1-2x a week. I'm scared i'll hurt the baby with them. 

I just hope you have/will put everything into perspective. 
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
  • raw1299 said:
    I'll give OP a benefit of a doubt that she was just venting, realized her errors, and moved on.

I was totally hooked on everything glamorous about weddings- the dress, the ring, the flowers, etc. I had my ring picked out months before he asked. If he picked out a different one, honestly, I would of probably been upset too. 

Now, I barely even wear my rings. I'm lucky if I wear it 1-2x a week. I'm scared i'll hurt the baby with them. 

I just hope you have/will put everything into perspective. 
    To the bolded - in my situation, my FI didn't pick out the ring I had suggested (about a year before he proposed), but it wasn't the ring that upset me, it was the fact that he had ignored me and decided he knew better, even after he asked my opinion.  The ring I had wanted was cheaper than the one he bought, so being upset about the e-ring isn't always about the price and glamour.  It's not nice to feel like you were ignored when you are being proposed to . . . thankfully we remedied things, but it did sting at the time.  I wonder how many people who aren't happy with their e-ring are actually upset about not having a fancy ring, or are just unhappy that they didn't get a say in a ring that they will be wearing for the rest of their life. 

• aefitz29 said:
    I feel the engagement ring should be picked out entirely by the fiance (this is just my opinion, I know many who do it differently and that's fine). I equate the whole getting 'upset, disappointed, etc.' with a kid getting the wrong color smart phone for their birthday and crying about it. It's rude and insensitive to your FI for you to act that way. Whatever money and time your FI spent picking out the ring he is asking you to marry him with should be respected.

It just seems that if you are upset over a ring (that symbolizes much more than it's style)  you are acting like a spoiled materialistic brat. What the ring stands for is so much more important than what it physically is.

I believe a person should act humble and polite when being asked to spend the rest of their life with someone. Someone you love wants to wake up with you for the rest of their days?! Hello! that's amazing!!!! Being excited and preparing to spend your life with someone you love is so much more important than what your ring looks like.
    Eh, yes and no. If your FI picks a ring as a total surprise, the first thought should be "yay I am so happy he wants to spend his life with me," not "oh my god this ring is not what I wanted." However, if your FI asks your opinion on a ring (as mine did) he should then take that into account when choosing something.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • aefitz29 said:
    I feel the engagement ring should be picked out entirely by the fiance (this is just my opinion, I know many who do it differently and that's fine). I equate the whole getting 'upset, disappointed, etc.' with a kid getting the wrong color smart phone for their birthday and crying about it. It's rude and insensitive to your FI for you to act that way. Whatever money and time your FI spent picking out the ring he is asking you to marry him with should be respected.

It just seems that if you are upset over a ring (that symbolizes much more than it's style)  you are acting like a spoiled materialistic brat. What the ring stands for is so much more important than what it physically is.

I believe a person should act humble and polite when being asked to spend the rest of their life with someone. Someone you love wants to wake up with you for the rest of their days?! Hello! that's amazing!!!! Being excited and preparing to spend your life with someone you love is so much more important than what your ring looks like.
    This. I agree that not everybody would like their FI to pick it out entirely himself, and that's fine. But personally, I let my FI pick it out entirely on his own. I didn't give him hints or anything, I wanted it to be a complete surprise. My reasoning is that he knows me better than I even know myself, so I was certain that he would pick out the perfect ring. And he did :) I get compliments on it all the time, couldn't have asked for a better one. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

OP, just be happy with what you have. Be happy at the fact that this man wants to spend the rest of his life with you. It probably really hurts him that you don't like the ring he picked out for you. No matter the price, that's the ring he saw and automatically thought "Oh! that's the one!" That puts more value into it than any money.
  • Musikalbunni - Yeah I think she did too. xD

Also I am in the group of FI picks it out. I wanted it to be a surprise. I didn't want to know what it would look like or anything like that. I agree though if they ask for direction or examples so they can get an idea then that is completely fine.

I told my FI when he asked me - i don't like solitaires. I think that's what they are called. The one diamond on the band. Just never been a fan of them. Hate them actually, to me they just look so awkward. That was all I thought my FI needed to know. =) He picked it out and surprised me with it. I love my ring!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009 said:
    Musikalbunni - Yeah I think she did too. xD

Also I am in the group of FI picks it out. I wanted it to be a surprise. I didn't want to know what it would look like or anything like that. I agree though if they ask for direction or examples so they can get an idea then that is completely fine.

I told my FI when he asked me - i don't like solitaires. I think that's what they are called. The one diamond on the band. Just never been a fan of them. Hate them actually, to me they just look so awkward. That was all I thought my FI needed to know. =) He picked it out and surprised me with it. I love my ring!!!

I wanted it to be a surprise, but I also know FI is terrible at buying jewelry. I love every piece he's ever given me, but even he admitted he was embarrassed by some. He ordered diamond earnings online and thought an 1/8 of carat was the same size as the 1/2 carat CZ ones I had. He got a pearl and white sapphire necklace and was surprised to hear they weren't diamonds. So the solution was my only requirement with him picking out my ring was my BFF go with him. He had to chose it, but she got veto power. 
  • CLI242009 said:
    Musikalbunni - Yeah I think she did too. xD

I wanted it to be a surprise, but I also know FI is terrible at buying jewelry. I love every piece he's ever given me, but even he admitted he was embarrassed by some. He ordered diamond earnings online and thought an 1/8 of carat was the same size as the 1/2 carat CZ ones I had. He got a pearl and white sapphire necklace and was surprised to hear they weren't diamonds. So the solution was my only requirement with him picking out my ring was my BFF go with him. He had to chose it, but she got veto power.

*stuck in the box*

Yeah that is an example of one of the good reasons why your FI would need help or like you did, BFF to go with haha.

Bold: couldn't resist  xD that made me snicker a little.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards