Chit Chat

I may be the worst dog owner ever!!

The last two nights where I live have been very, very cold.  The house that we rent has a bedroom upstairs that is a loft style setup.  There are no baseboards (or whatever they are called) for heat up there. . . .it just rises from upstairs.  Our dog sleeps on a big fluffy bed on our carpeted floor up there.  We moved into this house about two months ago, and have had the dog for like a month.  He is a rescue from Florida.

Long story short, the dog who typically is a great dog, and sleeps until 6:45-7 every morning has been getting up the last two night in the middle of the night to shake (like when they are wet, to dry themselves).  He has been waking us up with it, and both DH and I found it to be annoying.  We both thought it was because the wind was so loud.  When the dog came to my side of the bed this morning I reached down to pet him and my hand brushed against his nose. . . . it was so cold. . . . . . . that's when I had the horrible realization that he wasn't shaking because he was waking up from the noises. . . . he was just too cold!!!!!

I feel like the most awful pet owner on the planet right now.  I don't know how I didn't realize that was what was happening!  I am going at lunch to get him a fleecy blanket to snuggle in while he sleeps.  Any other suggestions?

Re: I may be the worst dog owner ever!!

• Get a small space heater and plug it in up there. I'm sorry for your pup but glad you've recognized the issue and are working to fix it!
    *********************************************************************************

• A dog doesn't have to be in your bedroom to be treated like family. I never slept in my parents bedroom - does that mean they weren't treating me right? This is no different than if she had sent a child to sleep up in their own room, the child let her know the room was too cold, and she made the room warmer.

I'd call your vet and ask what temperatures are ok/optimal for your dog's comfort, and if they have any pet-safe suggestions for warming the area up.

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • May I ask why it is that the dog sleeps up there and not where you sleep? I can understand not having him sleep in the bed with you, but is there a reason why he doesn't sleep in your bedroom on his own bed? I only say this because while I don't believe you are doing it on purpose, it saddens me to see animals not treated like family.

Please don't take offense to that. It's just I've seen animals that were treated horribly and I wish I had stepped up and said something.

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but he does sleep in our bedroom. Our bedroom is the loft. His bed is at the foot of our bed.

I believe that pets are members of the family as well. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt an animal. I am beside myself that he was cold for the night.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    What breed of dog is it? This makes a difference in the temperatures they can tolerate. I have two smaller dogs and they handle temperatures entirely differently due to their breeds and fur/hair. You may want to up the heat or bring them into a warmer room.

A cold wet nose is actually the sign of a healthy dog. They constantly lick their noses in order to enable scents to stick to their sniffer for better survival. Noticeably in the winter their nose will feel cooler but that does not mean the dog itself is cold.

Was the dog shivering? Is there some other reason you believe the dog was cold/uncomforatble as in wimpering, barking, or other strange behavior? The shaking could be a result of many things. Mites in their ears, fleas, just a general itch or rearranging of fur (if he is itching you may want to check for these). A blanket for the dog is a great choice as I have blankets for both of mine but they are both big fans of pillows and blankets.

You do not have to have the dog sleep in the same room as you for them to be family. Dogs are animals obviously and as long as they have a place they feel safe/comfortable/loved they are fine. For example: My boy dog prefers to sleep under beds rather than with me. He feels happier and safer there. He will stay in bed until I fall asleep and then leave on his own accord. He is no less family because of where he sleeps.
  • Aww. Don't feel bad! Did the rest of his body feel cold too?

I have a blanket that I keep with my dog's bed and I tuck her in every night. 
  • He just went for a well visit recently at the vet and is in perfect health. He felt like he was shivering a bit. When we came downstairs and went for a walk, with his sweatshirt on, and came back in he hopped right onto his downstairs bed and went to sleep, shiver/shake free.
    edited November 2013
    kaos16 said:
    He just went for a well visit recently at the vet and is in perfect health. He felt like he was shivering a bit. When we came downstairs and went for a walk, with his sweatshirt on, and came back in he hopped right onto his downstairs bed and went to sleep, shiver/shake free.
    A blanket should handle the little shivers.  I'm glad he is okay. That is awesome.
  • Can you buy a little space heater for you room? They aren't very expensive and would help keep him (and you!) warm

• You do not have to have the dog sleep in the same room as you for them to be family. Dogs are animals obviously and as long as they have a place they feel safe/comfortable/loved they are fine. For example: My boy dog prefers to sleep under beds rather than with me. He feels happier and safer there. He will stay in bed until I fall asleep and then leave on his own accord. He is no less family because of where he sleeps.

*stuck in the box* I absolutely read this as "my boyfriend prefers to sleep under beds rather than with me" and though THAT'S TOTALLY NOT THE SAME! I need more coffee ;)

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited November 2013
    krizzo17 said:

You do not have to have the dog sleep in the same room as you for them to be family. Dogs are animals obviously and as long as they have a place they feel safe/comfortable/loved they are fine. For example: My boy dog prefers to sleep under beds rather than with me. He feels happier and safer there. He will stay in bed until I fall asleep and then leave on his own accord. He is no less family because of where he sleeps.

*stuck in the box* I absolutely read this as "my boyfriend prefers to sleep under beds rather than with me" and though THAT'S TOTALLY NOT THE SAME! I need more coffee ;)

LOL!!!! Seriously cracked up on this one. I could use some more coffee myself.

Also (in case anyone is interested) I have figured out that this whole stuck in the quote box can be remedied by selecting the back button and trying to comment again. It seems to be due to the scripts loading incorrectly the first time. Not a permanent fix but a work around I use.

• My rabbits sleep outside in negative temperatures, and they are fine.  What kind of breed is this dog?  If he has thick fur, he should be okay.  Animals can acclimatize themselves - my one rabbit has gotten very thick fur to get used to the winter, and the other one I have been keeping an eye on because she has thinner fur and was skinnier (when I got her - she is a lot healthier and fatter now), but she snuggles up to the other at night and always feels warm when I go to check on her. 

• How cold is it in that room? My dad is a dog sled racer and in that industry, everyone's dogs are outside 24/7 (even in the winter). Its not too cold for them. However being Alaskan huskies they might be more adapted to the cold weather. 
  • The room is probably in the 50s. . . . Outside of my comforter I find it to be cold.

He is a schnauzer mix. . . . his hair is still growing back, I think they hacked it off at the shelter because he was probably matted. . . . he is still underweight for his size at about 20 pounds (we are working on that!) 

I also think that coming from FL to NY may have something to do with it.

• I've seen heated throws/blankets and even heated pet beds:

If you did that combined with a blanket, I think they dog would be nice and cozy.
    *********************************************************************************

• The bedroom that you sleep in is in the 50's? That just seems insanely chilly! And not just for your pup for you as well.

• The bedroom that you sleep in is in the 50's? That just seems insanely chilly! And not just for your pup for you as well.

maybe right close to 60.  I'm just thinking that the downstairs when I go to bed is 65 at max and there is a noteable difference walking up the stairs.  high 50s??
  • I keep my apartment on the cooler side too, but I have a dog that is very sensitive to the heat (13 year old Shih-Tzu). She sleeps with me because it is warmer! But, shaking can be something else. My dog is prone to ear infections, so she tends to shake (like wet dog shake) when she gets one.

Also, how close did they shave him? During the summer my dog is clipped as short as possible and the "itch" from the growing hair makes her shake for weeks. Maybe there is something there?
  • kaos16 said:

The room is probably in the 50s. . . . Outside of my comforter I find it to be cold.

He is a schnauzer mix. . . . his hair is still growing back, I think they hacked it off at the shelter because he was probably matted. . . . he is still underweight for his size at about 20 pounds (we are working on that!) 

I also think that coming from FL to NY may have something to do with it.

Get a raised dog bed. The floors hold the cold.  Just like camping.   You need to put something in between the ground and the bed to absorb the cold.  Even 1-2 inches off the floor will make a difference. 

this is a fancy one, but there are plenty of budget verions out there:

http://www.petco.com/product/113886/New-Age-Pet-Eco-Concepts-Chestnut-Bunk-Bed-with-Cushion-Raised-Dog-Bed.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards