Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Wedding Band in Bridal Portraits?!

So, I am a TINY person with tiny fingers; my ring size is 3.0.  Because of this, it takes 12-16 WEEKS to get rings sized for me. My engagement ring took almost exactly 16 weeks to get sized, so I am expecting it to take this long for my wedding band.  My wedding date is August 1, 2014. We are doing my bridal portraits in May.  I know that that is SUPER early, but the flowers and weather will be perfect for pictures.  Do you wear you wedding band in your bridal portraits? If so, we need to purchase it in January.  If not, we could wait a little bit longer. 

What do y'all think about wearing wedding bands in Bridal portraits? Is it necessary?

Re: Wedding Band in Bridal Portraits?!

• Options
    No it is not necessary.

• Options
    I just wore my engagement ring.
  • Options
    I'm just wondering, why do people do bridal portraits? Like how many pictures of yourself do you need? I have half a dozen from my wedding and that was fine for me.
  • Options
    Where are you getting your rings sized that it takes so long? Even if a ring needs to be annealed during the sizing process, the actual labor should still only take hours, not weeks. Unless your ring has to be entirely remade from scratch, and even then a custom CAD design (at the store I work at, at least) takes only 6-8 weeks start to finish. Methinks someone is ripping you off.
  • Options
    Personally, if I were having bridal portraits done, I would want them to include the wedding band.  However, why not just take lots of pictures on the day of your actual wedding?
  • Options

I don’t think it’s necessary.

• Options
    @misssunshine17 I have wondered the same thing. It just doesn't make sense. I would also be paranoid as hell that something would happen to my dress.

• Options
    @misssunshine17 I have wondered the same thing. It just doesn't make sense. I would also be paranoid as hell that something would happen to my dress.
    So much this! I saw these bridal portraits where the bride was like laying all over tombstones and stuff. And they were def bridals, not trash the dress. 
  • Options
    I'm wondering why on earth it would take your jeweler so long to size your ring. I'm pretty small too, a size 4, and my ring was sized in a few hours.
  • Options
    Where are you getting your rings sized that it takes so long? Even if a ring needs to be annealed during the sizing process, the actual labor should still only take hours, not weeks. Unless your ring has to be entirely remade from scratch, and even then a custom CAD design (at the store I work at, at least) takes only 6-8 weeks start to finish. Methinks someone is ripping you off.
    I agree. My ring size is 3.5 (so not much bigger) and it took the jeweler an afternoon to resize it from 4.5 down to 3.5. Something is definitely off here.
  • Options
    I agree. My ring size is 3.5 (so not much bigger) and it took the jeweler an afternoon to resize it from 4.5 down to 3.5. Something is definitely off here.
    Ditto! I'm a 4 and mine literally took 20 minutes while I waited!! Go to a local jeweler, NOT a chain like Kay's. 
  • Options
    My ring took 10 days.  I had Sears do it because I'd had a ring resized by them before (it was resized before it was shipped to me, so I didn't know how long it would take.)

I wish I had taken it to one of the local jewelers rather than a chain store.  Also, Sears resized it wrong.

I used the ring sizers to see how small it should go down.  The one size I felt was still a bit big but the lady said it looked good and they didn't have quarter-size sizers for me to try on.  So I went with what she said.  I got it back and at first, it felt fine but within a day or two, I could tell it was too big.  Never going back to them again.

Anyway, all that to say, go to a local jewelers rather than a chain and it should be much quicker.  The shop where H bought it said it could be done and he could pick it up the next day.  The only reason we didn't do that is because it was bought where he was working for the summer and I only visited him once for a weekend (when we got engaged) so we couldn't resize it there.
  • Options
    My ring is from Helzberg's and took 3-5 days to size.  The associate told me they have a jeweler that rotates between stores and is usually in once a week.  I'd question anything more than a week or two.  I know it's just a ring, but I would be super unhappy to be without my e-ring for more than a few days.  
  • Options
    My ring is a 4 and took about 8 weeks. I wore a temporary ring with a metal sizer and my diamond in it while mine was being ordered. Once it came it it was less than a day for them to reset the new ring with the diamond. It probably depends on the type of band. The diamonds around the sides on mine made it so they couldn't resize the orginal lower than a 5.5.

That aside, what is the point of bridal portraits. I've never heard of that. Won't you have pictures on the day?
  • Options

My fiancé ordered my ring from Zales.  The reason it took so long was because the setting was very detailed and with a lot of diamonds.

I live in the South, and down here, having Bridal Portraits done before the wedding is a tradition.  A very large framed picture of the bride is showcased at the Reception somewhere.  Also, it helps knock down the time that it takes to get pictures done since it is done before, and the Bridal portraits are always done somewhere other than the ceremony and reception location. I am having mine done in downtown Charleston, SC.  I don't pay extra to have Bridal Portraits done, its included in the packages photographers provide.

• Options

My fiancé ordered my ring from Zales.  The reason it took so long was because the setting was very detailed and with a lot of diamonds.

I live in the South, and down here, having Bridal Portraits done before the wedding is a tradition.  A very large framed picture of the bride is showcased at the Reception somewhere.  Also, it helps knock down the time that it takes to get pictures done since it is done before, and the Bridal portraits are always done somewhere other than the ceremony and reception location. I am having mine done in downtown Charleston, SC.  I don't pay extra to have Bridal Portraits done, its included in the packages photographers provide.

I get that its a tradition...I still don't get it though...NOTHING could create the same look on my face any other day then the day I got married.  I just don't understand wanting pictures of yourself, in your bridal finery...when you're not getting married.  
  • Options

I get that its a tradition...I still don't get it though...NOTHING could create the same look on my face any other day then the day I got married.  I just don't understand wanting pictures of yourself, in your bridal finery...when you're not getting married.  

I agree....everyone attending the wedding knows who you are, so there's really no need for a giant picture of yourself. In a wedding gown. That they are looking at in person. lol

Just because something is tradition, you never have to go with it. But anyways, have fun, Charleston is gorgeous.

• Options
    My photographers had bridal portraits in my package too, but I asked them if they would come take two hours of photos at my rehearsal dinner instead. They were more than willing to accommodate me. I would rather have more photos of friends/family than a bunch of formal pictures of just me.
  • Options
    LydiaJoy12LydiaJoy12 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2013

Well, thank you for everyone's opinion on Bridal Portraits. I had actually asked the question about wearing wedding bands in the portrait, not what everyone's opinion was on having the portraits done. I understand everyone's opinions on the latter, it was what I originally thought. But I have my reasons for doing it!

Thank you to everyone who helped answer the question I had asked! I appreciate it.

• Options

Well, thank you for everyone's opinion on Bridal Portraits. I had actually asked the question about wearing wedding bands in the portrait, not what everyone's opinion was on having the portraits done. I understand everyone's opinions on the latter, it was what I originally thought. But I have my reasons for doing it!

Thank you to everyone who helped answer the question I had asked! I appreciate it.

How about you nix the attidue.  You posted on a public forum where we are allowed to comment on whatever we want.  The majority of the posters gave you their thoughts on the ring issue as well as their opinion on bridal portraits.  No reason to get snotty when the question you asked was answered.

• Options
    This tradition is news to me--I haven't spent much time in the southeast but guess this is a regional thing. I would think it kind of strange to be wearing a wedding ring in a bunch of photos when I wasn't married. An engagement ring makes more sense.
  • Options
    Do people do this for the groom? Is HE supposed to wear his ring?
  • Options
    I swear the people on here love to literally throw their opinions around and act like what they "think" is what is right!!!   If you can't answer the question asked why even respond...  Bless y'alls hearts:)

Anyways it is tradition to have this done in the south, for the pictures most of my friends only wear the e-ring as it is before the wedding.  I will only be wearing my e-ring as I don't want any pictures of me wearing my band till I am married.  Hope this helps!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mscearce said:
    I swear the people on here love to literally throw their opinions around and act like what they "think" is what is right!!!   If you can't answer the question asked why even respond...  Bless y'alls hearts:)

Anyways it is tradition to have this done in the south, for the pictures most of my friends only wear the e-ring as it is before the wedding.  I will only be wearing my e-ring as I don't want any pictures of me wearing my band till I am married.  Hope this helps!

Um, we did answer the question, doesn't mean that we also can't state our opinions, free speech and all. Tradition or not I still think they are stupid.  That is my opinion.  If you don't like it then ignore it.

Oh and maybe cut it with the attitude.

• Options
    Cut my attitude?? Coming from "attacking blah blah blah" instead of "attacking" why not voice your opinion nice? It's not "stupid" maybe you think it is something "not needed" or could be over looked instead?? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Cut my attitude?? Coming from "attacking blah blah blah" instead of "attacking" why not voice your opinion nice? It's not "stupid" maybe you think it is something "not needed" or could be over looked instead?? 

I guess taking a fucking joke is not in your vocabulary.  I swear any time that someone doesn't agree on here it is taken as an attack on that person.  I am not attacking you or anyone else who does bridal portraits, I am just disagreeing with you on whether or not they should be done.  I really do get tired of so many people getting their panties in a twist over silly shit.  I think bridal portraits are stupid.  So sue me.  And how would me disagreeing with you in a nicer tone change anything?  Oh that's right it wouldn't.  You would still say that I am wrong and you are right and tradition is tradition.

And yes, cut your attitude.  Instead of just answering the question, like I you nicely noted in you post, you came out saying how horrible some posters me were for stating their opinion on something that wasn't even asked and us thinking that what we think is always right.  That to me comes off as attitude.

• Options
    It comes off as attacking when that is your right under your picture since you live on this site and do so on a ton of post.  I haven't been on here in months since the last time I posted was about me having two wedding dresses (ceremony and reception) yeah it may be "stupid" to others but instead of calling someones ideas or beliefs "stupid" it would be a lot nice and wouldn't come off as attacking if you just said you didn't agree with it...  And I'm not just saying posters on this form are rude...they are rude on a lot of the post and mostly end up being the same people over and over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @LydiaJoy12 It also took my ring over 3 months to come in as they had to make it due to the was the band is.  I was stuck with a metal band sizer for what seemed like forever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mscearce said:
    It comes off as attacking when that is your right under your picture since you live on this site and do so on a ton of post.  I haven't been on here in months since the last time I posted was about me having two wedding dresses (ceremony and reception) yeah it may be "stupid" to others but instead of calling someones ideas or beliefs "stupid" it would be a lot nice and wouldn't come off as attacking if you just said you didn't agree with it...  And I'm not just saying posters on this form are rude...they are rude on a lot of the post and mostly end up being the same people over and over.
    That's you opinion and I choose to ignore it.  See how easy that is.

• Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    One of my most favorite pictures of my mom came from her bridal portraits. She looks gorgeous and that picture has been hung up in my grandparent's house my whole life.

It actually turned out their photographer flaked on the day of their wedding and her portraits are the only professional pictures of her in her wedding gown. I am so thankful she had bridal portraits done so she can share this memory with me.

She is southern and it's definitely a tradition. I don't think it is silly/stupid to want to do something due to tradition.  It's all everyone's own choice obviously. I don't think it needs to be called stupid as that is considered an insult.

And yes everyone is entitled to their opinions but being specifically unkind is unnecessary. The attitudes are also quite unnecessary. You can convey your opinion about someone being insulting without being rude yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards