Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Morocco, Egypt, Dubai, Abu Dhabi in March?

Has anyone been to these destinations that can recommend if they would be good for a honeymoon? If so, any particular resorts, hotels, etc? FI and I want to do a bit of exploring and a bit of relaxing and these are just a few of the ideas that came up. We're not set on these places just yet, but they would definitely be completely different from anything we've ever done. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Best Answers

Re: Morocco, Egypt, Dubai, Abu Dhabi in March?

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    I haven't been to any of these places. But I did consider Egypt for our HM. I talked to a travel agent about it. I was told that Egypy is really unsafe and unpredictable for tourists right now. Her suggestion, if we decided to go (which we didnt,) was to buy trip insurance and to take a hired car EVERYWHERE we went. Trip insurance and private cars/ guards are crazy expensive. So we decided to wait on that trip.

I've been dying to go to Egypt for years, but am waiting for things to sette down around there a bit...no one would even agree to go with me right now!  but i have to contradict your stance on trip insurance...if you are taking a pricey trip GET THE INSURANCE.  The few hundred dollars it would cost will be well worth it if you have to cancel, or something happens to you while you're there.  Our HM is costing about $16k (just in flights and hotels) and the insurance is about $600 on that.  If something terrible were to happen (death in the family, horrible illness or injury, etc), i wouldn't want to eat $16k.

If your HM is costing you a small fortune, i highly recommend investing in trip insurance.

• Options
    Thanks ladies, this helps me narrow it down a bit in options. 

Btw, if anyone has been to Abu Dhabi, I'd love to hear about those experiences and opinions. All I can imagine when I think of it is the SATC movie when they all went there lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    delujm0 said:
    KatWAG said:
    I haven't been to any of these places. But I did consider Egypt for our HM. I talked to a travel agent about it. I was told that Egypy is really unsafe and unpredictable for tourists right now. Her suggestion, if we decided to go (which we didnt,) was to buy trip insurance and to take a hired car EVERYWHERE we went. Trip insurance and private cars/ guards are crazy expensive. So we decided to wait on that trip.

I've been dying to go to Egypt for years, but am waiting for things to sette down around there a bit...no one would even agree to go with me right now!  but i have to contradict your stance on trip insurance...if you are taking a pricey trip GET THE INSURANCE.  The few hundred dollars it would cost will be well worth it if you have to cancel, or something happens to you while you're there.  Our HM is costing about $16k (just in flights and hotels) and the insurance is about $600 on that.  If something terrible were to happen (death in the family, horrible illness or injury, etc), i wouldn't want to eat $16k.

If your HM is costing you a small fortune, i highly recommend investing in trip insurance.

I don't think Kat was saying she wasn't going to buy the insurance. I think the insurance was just very expensive because of that particular destination and the overall cost of the trip. I know our policy for our DW was almost $2000! It wasn't due to the wedding, either. The wedding costs were a fraction of the trip. However, most decent insurance is around $600, unless you are heading to the Caribbean or Hawaii, where it's usually closer to $250-$300 total. Insurance costs will vary widely on destination, cost of trip, and the type of insurance purchased.

Anyway- I personally would NOT travel to Egypt right now. However, it really depends on the type of traveler you are. I had a friend return from Spain and Morocco a few months ago. She really enjoyed Spain a lot more. But, maybe that is a combination to consider? As with anything, budget will matter. The UAE (Dubai/Abu Dhabi) is quite expensive. I have been looking to head back to the Seychelles, but adding on Abu Dhabi and the Maldives. The airfare is at least $2000/person to get to UAE. Also, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, though only 90 miles apart, offer a different experience. So, depending on what you want, one or the other may be a better choice. Or, of course, you can do both!

• Options
    delujm0 said:
    KatWAG said:

I don't think Kat was saying she wasn't going to buy the insurance. I think the insurance was just very expensive because of that particular destination and the overall cost of the trip. I know our policy for our DW was almost $2000! It wasn't due to the wedding, either. The wedding costs were a fraction of the trip. However, most decent insurance is around $600, unless you are heading to the Caribbean or Hawaii, where it's usually closer to $250-$300 total. Insurance costs will vary widely on destination, cost of trip, and the type of insurance purchased.

Anyway- I personally would NOT travel to Egypt right now. However, it really depends on the type of traveler you are. I had a friend return from Spain and Morocco a few months ago. She really enjoyed Spain a lot more. But, maybe that is a combination to consider? As with anything, budget will matter. The UAE (Dubai/Abu Dhabi) is quite expensive. I have been looking to head back to the Seychelles, but adding on Abu Dhabi and the Maldives. The airfare is at least $2000/person to get to UAE. Also, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, though only 90 miles apart, offer a different experience. So, depending on what you want, one or the other may be a better choice. Or, of course, you can do both! 

Exactly. We went to Thailand. Our trip in insurance was about $600. To go to Egypt it would have been triple that. I would rather spend that extra $1000 + elsewhere.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards