Chit Chat

Family/Holiday Traditions

I'm an emotional sucker for family traditions. Some of my fondest memories growing up are of little family traditions. On Christmas Eve, my sister and I would get one ornament. The idea was that we'd collect one ornament per year until we were off on our own and we'd have something to decorate our own Christmas tree. This year, I took my box of ornaments and put them on our tree. I started thinking about traditions that I might want to start with our new family. 

What are you family/holiday traditions that were really special to you?
*********************************************************************************

Re: Family/Holiday Traditions

• tmclawchicktmclawchick member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2013

Our main custom/rule is that we will always spend Christmas Eve/Day at our place. I hate trying to drive everywhere and the inevitable score-keeping that takes place between my family and FI's for holidays. Plus, I want DS to wake up in his bed and see that Santa came :) So, I make a really nice dinner Christmas Eve, then that night DS gets to open one present (which is always pajamas and a Christmas movie with hot cocoa that we watch before bedtime). After he goes to sleep we do all the Santa stuff :) Christmas Day I make a big breakfast after we open gifts, then we spend all day together, playing with toys, watching movies, being lazy. We order Chinese food for dinner to keep the day easy.

We also started Elf on the Shelf this year and wow...DS LOVES it. It's been a huge hit!

• When we were little my brother and I set up our cloth tent and camp out in the living room so we could see Santa. We were always so mad at ourselves the next morning for falling asleep lol. 
  • clarke10 said:
    When we were little my brother and I set up our cloth tent and camp out in the living room so we could see Santa. We were always so mad at ourselves the next morning for falling asleep lol. 

That's adorable! I remember trying sooo hard to stay awake and feeling the same way the next morning haha..

• We always spend Christmas Eve with my mom's side of the family. And when we're all done opening presents, we have a massive wrapping paper fight. No one remembers how it started but we've been doing it for years. It's evolved where we now pick out wrapping paper specifically for it's fighting capabilities.

This year will be the first time FI will experience the wrapping paper fight. And I'm excited. However, newbies usually get picked on hardcore! 
  • I loved putting the garland on. It was my favvvorite. We also all get choo choo train cars every year since we've been born, so I have a whole train. My parents still get us each a train for Christmas even though we're all grown up. Only my oldest brother has taken his train cars though. My other brother and I both live in apartments so prob won't until houses. We also get a coin collection every year. Dad gets it for all of our cousins and us. So I have 1989-present mint collection coins. My grandma also got us grand daughter/grand son ornaments every year. They were my favorite. Always cute little animals doing people activities.

As far as what we do: My mom's family always celebrates christmas on christmas eve. It used to be at my grandma's then moved to my mom's and now my SIL hosts it. We then go to my great aunt's house and santa comes and gives toys to everyone :) We then go to my dad's family on christmas. but, since FI and I got together, we go and see his family instead for a few days.

Mine and FI's tradition is to get ornaments of places we have been together. Eventually when we are out of our apartment, we'll use our tiny tree to put the ornaments on and a bigger tree for everything else :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I've really appreciated that as we get older, Christmas Day itself becomes more about Fi and I than about either of our families of origin.  Ever since we moved in together 4-ish years ago, we spend Christmas morning at home together.  I make cinnamon buns (this year I am trying cream cheese Danish bread!) and a big breakfast, and we sleep in and open presents.  Later in the day, we usually go to his aunt's house for Christmas dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• On Christmas Eve, my family always has hot dogs by battery-operated (because we have a not-too-bright older cat) candlelight.
  • Our main custom/rule is that we will always spend Christmas Eve/Day at our place. I hate trying to drive everywhere and the inevitable score-keeping that takes place between my family and FI's for holidays. Plus, I want DS to wake up in his bed and see that Santa came :)

We actually just had this discussion. We tried to do two holidays in one day once, and it was awful. Not for everyone we went to visit, but for us. There have been some hints lately that we should visit both families for every holiday, but that just isn't going to happen, and we've made that clear. It occurred to me that I don't want to set that precedent now, because when we have kids I don't want them to think of holidays as the day we spend in the car while mommy complains about how much she hates everyone. We've already decided that Christmas mornings will be spent at our house with just the two of us and our kids.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister and I would watch a Muppet Christmas Carol every Christmas eve.

Anniversary
  • krizzo17 said:

Our main custom/rule is that we will always spend Christmas Eve/Day at our place. I hate trying to drive everywhere and the inevitable score-keeping that takes place between my family and FI's for holidays. Plus, I want DS to wake up in his bed and see that Santa came :)

We actually just had this discussion. We tried to do two holidays in one day once, and it was awful. Not for everyone we went to visit, but for us. There have been some hints lately that we should visit both families for every holiday, but that just isn't going to happen, and we've made that clear. It occurred to me that I don't want to set that precedent now, because when we have kids I don't want them to think of holidays as the day we spend in the car while mommy complains about how much she hates everyone. We've already decided that Christmas mornings will be spent at our house with just the two of us and our kids.

I LOL'd at this.

After my niece was born I saw my older sister go nuts trying to please everyone and how stressed she got around the holidays and promptly decided "Yup, not doing that." FI was 100% onboard, so we have a quiet Christmas, and then take a few 3-day weekends after the holiday for trips to visit our families and exchange presents/spend time together. It's so much nicer than trying to cram everything in just a few days!

• We also have that same family traditional and this was my first year getting to put all my ornaments on my tree! Very exciting. When I was a kid, my grandmother made us a beautiful felt Advent calendar, so I always like to do Advent. This year, I made one out of a case of beer! But I also bought a kit to make a nicer one, so we can go more traditional in the future. :)

When we moved in together, we started splitting holidays. Last year was my first Christmas away from my parents, and while I definitely loved spending time with my in-laws, I was also really  bummed. Like tears on Christmas morning bummed. This year, we'll be back with my folks and I'm thrilled!
  • I have also made it clear to everyone what our future holidays will look like since SIL isn't local and both our parents are. No, I'm not flying to SIL and yes, my future children will be sleeping in their own beds. This is our first married Christmas and my mom is having a hard time being okay with the fact that we're changing traditions. I feel bad, but come on woman!
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    I miss feety pajamas, no responsibilities, and how every Christmas morning was a magical adventure. Oh to be a kid again!

Sorry to be Buzz Killington but this year is a bit tough for Christmas as it is the second one without my grandfather. I just cannot get into the spirit this year. My Christmases basically revolved around him and my grandmother and it is just not the same without him.

On a happier note: I am really looking forward to Christmas next year once I am married as it will be the first one with my FI we will spend entirely together. Not sure how we will be splitting holidays up since my family doesn't live in my state but we will work it out. We are a good team.
  • Ever since I was 4 my family would go the day after Thanksgiving to cut down our own tree. Now Fi is part of the tradition and the best part is the tree farm we always went to is down the road from where we live! (As a kid I hated the hour drive through windy mountain roads to get there) We spend Xmas eve with my family since Xmas day was never anything at home then Xmas morning is just FI, his son, and me. I make Fi a special bday breakfast after presents and his parents and my bio dad/ step mom come over for dinner. Dessert gets a million candles so FI still gets sung Happy Birthday.
  • My folks always had shrimp marinara for Christmas Eve dinner. Not liking/being mildly allergic to shellfish, I always got steak.

My mom made me a "How Many Days Till Christmas" Advent Calendar/wallhanging back in 1990. Each day, starting Dec. 1, I was to hang a miniature ornament on the tree, and could always count down to Christmas by the number of ornaments still on it. I've annually dated ornaments going back to pre-1990 (Mom did a great job looking for prior years so I could have one for each year of my life). We've given the wallhangings to my nieces, my FSMIL who loves all things Christmas and homemade, my brother to give to his niece, and we are giving one to my FBIL and FSIL. Need to get them all ornaments now, lol.

• krizzo17 said:

Our main custom/rule is that we will always spend Christmas Eve/Day at our place. I hate trying to drive everywhere and the inevitable score-keeping that takes place between my family and FI's for holidays. Plus, I want DS to wake up in his bed and see that Santa came :)

I LOL'd at this, too, and completely agree.

Right now, our traditions are having the same holiday day off (we both work in news) and Christmas Eve Mass.

My family does stockings put outside our bedroom doors -- in theory so the (small children) will be entertained, but in reality so they will be super-excited about Santa having come.

Christmas morning, my mom makes home-made sticky buns (a tradition I now do with DH), we open presents, have a big breakfast (sausage, eggs, bacon, toast, fruit), then lounge around for a few hours.

Later we have a traditional dinner -- turkey, ham, etc. -- and watch football and/or Christmas movies.

DH and I wrap presents while watching "Love, Actually" and "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Meet Me In St. Louis."

We set up a Nativity set and an Advent wreath every year as well.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • When I was younger my mother would have my father take all us kids (5 of us) to the movies and out to lunch. That way we were out of her hair so she didn't have to worry about us while she cooked dinner. =) I don't remember these of course but we had some very funny times haha.

Thanksgiving tradition in my FI's family - go around the table, starting from the youngest & we say what we are thankful for.

Christmas - St. Nikolas visits you. In my FI's family, I can't recall the day it happens, but it has to do with St. Nick....and if you remember this certain day he will come and visit you. He'll leave a burlap sack at your door and he'll leave you something he thinks you'll need for the Christmas season. xD Sorry for the vague explanation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chibiyui said:
    My sister and I would watch a Muppet Christmas Carol every Christmas eve.

I watch this with my nephews every year. I take them shopping to buy a gift for my sister and then we come home and bake cookies. Then we watch the movie and they camp out in the living room under our tree. Every year my FI and I watch A Christmas Story after we get home from my aunt's house on Christmas Eve and then we exchange our gifts because we have so many places to run to on Christmas Day.
  • When we were little, my mom started the tradition of making breakfast in bed for the birthday boy or girl. I used to wake up on my birthday and wait patiently in my room until there was a gentle knock on the door and my mom, brother, and sister would come in with a breakfast tray of delicious breakfast foods, complete with a candle, and sing happy birthday! It's a tradition my siblings and I have carried on with our husbands and wives, and it's really special! 

Every Thanksgiving morning, my mom and I do a 4-mile race for the homeless. And sometime before Christmas, we always go Christmas shopping with our dad :)

On Thanksgiving and Christmas evening, FI & I have our friends over for drinks and games. We have a very close group of friends who are like family, so we all really enjoy spending time together after we do all of our own holiday activities. Last year on Christmas night, we celebrated Festivus, complete with Feats of Strengh and the Airing of Grievances. It was the hardest I laughed all year!
  • We always do breakfast at my parents, which is always waffles with strawberries and whipped cream.  My own tradition though is the order in which I decorate the tree and take them down.  My "Baby's First Christmas" ornament is always the first on and the last off.  When I was a kid it was always the first one I did.  Then any of my ornaments I've made or that had my name of them from when I was a kid go up.  

I actually had a mild freak out our first Christmas together when I couldn't find one I had made in grade 1 (a class photo of me with red and green pom pons around it - totally cheesy).  I was almost in tears after tearing the entire decoration box apart.  Turns out DH had just randomly put it on the tree already and didn't understand what I was looking for.  I'm just super sentimental about all my childhood stuff sometimes.  

• Our main custom/rule is that we will always spend Christmas Eve/Day at our place. I hate trying to drive everywhere and the inevitable score-keeping that takes place between my family and FI's for holidays. Plus, I want DS to wake up in his bed and see that Santa came :) So, I make a really nice dinner Christmas Eve, then that night DS gets to open one present (which is always pajamas and a Christmas movie with hot cocoa that we watch before bedtime). After he goes to sleep we do all the Santa stuff :) Christmas Day I make a big breakfast after we open gifts, then we spend all day together, playing with toys, watching movies, being lazy. We order Chinese food for dinner to keep the day easy.

We also started Elf on the Shelf this year and wow...DS LOVES it. It's been a huge hit!

H and I don't have kids yet but Elf on the Shelf is one tradition I can't wait to start. H had no idea it was a real thing and sent me one of the stock photos that exist with the caption "how cool would this be if it was real" poor boy. I spent some time educating him on how awesome it really is.

We had several traditions when I was growing up that I loved. My parents would put one or two small presents under the tree a week before Christmas then on Christmas Eve everyone got to open one present that was under the tree. That tradition came from my dad's side of the family.

The other tradition I loved was getting in our car on Christmas eve and driving around the city to look at all the lights. We'd listen to classic Christmas music and drive. It was so peaceful and we'd use the time to talk about the past year and what we were looking forward to in the new year.

I'm hoping to keep both of those traditions alive once I have kids, though the Christmas drive I think I'll start this year.

We didn't have any traditions for Thanksgiving or birthdays.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards