Chit Chat

What would you do with wedding band? *ETA description*

edited December 2013 in Chit Chat
DH didn't buy a matching wedding band with the E-ring, so I just bought an eternity band. It doesn't match the E-ring and has a gap. I thought I was ok with it, but after I wore it a couple times, I didn't like the way it looked and the diamond all around it made washing my hands and face uncomfortable. I don't like having to take them off all the time. So I put the wedding band away and just wear my E-ring. What would you do with the band if you were in this situation?

What would you do with wedding band? 33 votes

Keep it, wear it every so often
9% 3 votes
Take it to be set in a different way
33% 11 votes
Sell it and buy something else.
48% 16 votes
SS
9% 3 votes

Re: What would you do with wedding band? *ETA description*

• Is there a back story to this?

I am confused?

Anniversary
  • Sorry @smalfrie19, it wouldn't let me at first. I added it now:)
  • I'd wear it for special occasions. But if you really don't like the way it looks, why not talk to your DH about selling it for something else? Unless you think it would bother him.
  • I vote SS -- Can you just switch off wearing them?

Anniversary
  • I couldn't imagine having a wedding band that I didn't like wearing. I would try to return/sell it for something else.
  • I'd wear it for special occasions. But if you really don't like the way it looks, why not talk to your DH about selling it for something else? Unless you think it would bother him.
    I don't think it would bother him, he's more invested in the e-ring since he took the time to pick it out. But I don't know, is it bad juju to sell the ring you used for your vows?
  • LuvBird29 said:
    I'd wear it for special occasions. But if you really don't like the way it looks, why not talk to your DH about selling it for something else? Unless you think it would bother him.
    I don't think it would bother him, he's more invested in the e-ring since he took the time to pick it out. But I don't know, is it bad juju to sell the ring you used for your vows?
    Seriously? I don't believe in "juju" but if the ring is sentimental to you for that reason..the I wouldn't recommend selling or returning it.
    Anniversary
  • I vote SS -- Can you just switch off wearing them?

I could, but I really love my e-ring. And I'm not a big fan of the eternity ring. It's king of uncomfortable. 
  • Could you have them soldered together so that they fit together without spinning?
    It's not the spinning that's annoying. It's actually the diamonds going all around. It's more of a nuisance than I thought it would be.
  • LuvBird29 said:
    I'd wear it for special occasions. But if you really don't like the way it looks, why not talk to your DH about selling it for something else? Unless you think it would bother him.
    Seriously? I don't believe in "juju" but if the ring is sentimental to you for that reason..the I wouldn't recommend selling or returning it.
    LOL, I don't know I guess I don't really either. I think it's more of the sentimental factor. But if I don't wear it, whats the point in having it I guess?
  • My e-ring is pretty wide and none of the weddings bands looked right.  So I wear my diamond wedding band on my right hand and the e-ring on the left.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • LuvBird29 said:
    LuvBird29 said:
    LOL, I don't know I guess I don't really either. I think it's more of the sentimental factor. But if I don't wear it, whats the point in having it I guess?

I have jewelry I don't always wear but I keep because it does mean something to me
    Anniversary
  • LuvBird29 said:
    LuvBird29 said:

I have jewelry I don't always wear but I keep because it does mean something to me
    Oh I do too, he gave me a gorgeous amethyst ring I don't wear too often anymore. I guess what I am saying is that I probably will never wear it again, so I should either sell it or spend more money on it to be reset in something other than an eternity band. 
  • LuvBird29 said:
    Could you have them soldered together so that they fit together without spinning?
    It's not the spinning that's annoying. It's actually the diamonds going all around. It's more of a nuisance than I thought it would be.
    That's the reason that I ended up getting one with just diamonds on the top of the ring. Someone had also warned me that people frequently lose diamonds because the ring will get worn on the palm side.
    Yes, I had heard other womens dislike for that type of ring too. I just thought that was what I wanted. I only wore it for about a week after the wedding. 
  • LuvBird29 said:
    LuvBird29 said:
    Could you have them soldered together so that they fit together without spinning?
    That's the reason that I ended up getting one with just diamonds on the top of the ring. Someone had also warned me that people frequently lose diamonds because the ring will get worn on the palm side.
    Yes, I had heard other womens dislike for that type of ring too. I just thought that was what I wanted. I only wore it for about a week after the wedding. 
    Well could you take your eternity ring and have only half the diamonds reset into another band?  That way it would be more comfortable for you.  Then you could either save the other diamonds for another piece of jewelry or sell them.

• Could you wear this wedding band as a right-hand ring (everyday or on occasion) and get something that sits better and is more comfortable to wear with your e-ring?

• LuvBird29 said:
    LuvBird29 said:
    Well could you take your eternity ring and have only half the diamonds reset into another band?  That way it would be more comfortable for you.  Then you could either save the other diamonds for another piece of jewelry or sell them.
    Thanks Maggie, that might work too. I should just talk to a jeweler and see what can be done.
  • Yeah, I'd talk to a jeweler about getting the ring modified, or exchange it for a new ring. I have a channel-set wedding ring that doesn't go all around, and I can imagine how uncomfortable it'd be if it did!
  • I was am still kinda planning on wearing my e ring on my right, wedding band on the left.

But if its uncomfortable I'd sell it and get something you like.

Anniversary
  • I don't believe in juju, but I wouldn't be able to sell it. I'd keep it and buy a plain band for everyday wear, and then wear this one on special occasions.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Ven&RadioVen&Radio member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2013
    Ditto Maggie's suggestion of having the stones re-set as a semi-eternity ring.  My wedding band is like this (basically there are diamonds across the top of my finger but none between/under -- it's very comfortable, even if it spins a little). 

Alternately, you could wear it on a necklace.

ETA- my band is chanel-set (like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51obpiuZ3EL._SY575_.jpg) , which I think contributes to the comfort.  I didn't see any specifics about how your band is set.  Prong-set (like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ccQXk76HL.jpg) eternity bands never looked comfortable to me
  • My jeweler recommended a half eternity band for the comfort factor and so the diamonds don't get beat up. If you're not happy with it I would just exchange it for something you like and will wear.
  • misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    I like the idea of getting the diamonds reset into 2 half eternity bands. That's what I have (I liked the look better).
  • Picture of two half eternity bands.
  • I like the idea of getting them reset into half-eternity bands like @misshart00
  • Picture of two half eternity bands.
    That looks pretty, I'm going to see how much that would cost. Thanks!
  • SS = Special Snowflake, @lovesclimbing. Here, an answer that doesn't fit into any of the poll options.
  • My DH wedding band was too big (and titanium, so no re-sizing) so we bought him a new one. When we got the new one I told him I was going to sell the old one and he threw a big fit because "this is the one we got married with". Needless to say, we will be keeping the old one as well. If you do plan on selling it, you should talk with him and make sure he's okay with it.
  • SS = Special Snowflake, @lovesclimbing. Here, an answer that doesn't fit into any of the poll options.
    Oh.  I normally know what that is in posting, but didn't get the connection here.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards