Chit Chat

I can't believe how many people post about their weddings on FB.

I felt like I was bombarded with wedding talk on FB this weekend. One person announced their date and location. One posted about booking the venue. And another one posted her wedding website for all 400 of her Facebook friends to see. It included locations for the ceremony and reception and their registry info. 

Unless you plan on inviting 600 people to your wedding, why are you posting about all of your wedding plans?? I don't get it. 

Re: I can't believe how many people post about their weddings on FB.

• I had a friend get engaged this weekend too. Saturday night. 
  • I posted a fair amount, but I also only have 100 Facebook friends and the majority of them are out of town and wanted to hear about the wedding but knew they wouldn't be able to come. All of the local Facebook friends were invited to the wedding. So... yeah, I posted a fair bit.

• I've seen six engagements since Thanksgiving... 

One of them has posted every single wedding thought that has popped into her mind... possible locations, a final date, that their theme is Star Wars and Anime. Shoot me now. This is the FI of one of my FI's best friends, so we're going to have to go. I am not a fan of weddings with crazy themes outside of marriage, season, and location.
  • I've posted a little here and there, but no particulars -- nothing about the specific date, venue, etc. A girl I know is getting married soon, too, and she's always posting shit and it drives me crazy. She's having some big, Italian affair and checked in at a bridal salon that only does custom-made gowns, and then wrote '#custom'. No shit, Sherlock. Do you really have to emphasize that you're having a one-of-a-kind dress made (which, knowing her, will probably look very similar to many off-the-rack dresses that cost way less)?

• I hate that so much.  I posted when we got engaged, and I put up a few candid shots from our engagement party.  But I didn't even post "Hey, this was our engagement party!" It was just photos of my friends at the restaurant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I posted wedding stuff on FB, but only funny stuff. Like when we did our cake testing, I wrote, 'DH and I had it narrowed down to four cupcake choices. Then we went cake testing. Now he wants all the flavours.' Or, 'When meeting with the florist to pick wedding flowers, apparently 'white, not roses' lacks specificity and you're supposed to be more helpful . Who knew?'

I had a friend who basically live - blogged her wedding planning through multiple - times - per - hour FB updates. I hid her from my newsfeed.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Maybe some ppl post bcuz they are just excited about being engaged and to be planning their wedding. Ive posted exciting news about my planning. I dont see anything wrong with it those that are interested comment or like those that arent keep it moving. Now will I post my wedding website SURE all the important info for my actual guest is password protected so randoms wont be able to see. Let ppl be excited in their own way... just bcuz you dont do it doesnt make it wrong. And if they get carried away where every status is wedding this wedding that just block them from ur news feed until after the wedding
  • I have posted a bit here and there about being stressed about wedding planning, but no specifics.
    Anniversary
  • @Thejucheidea

IS THAT YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE, BECAUSE THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME.

(sorry for threadjack.)

And yes, I do agree that the overposting of every detail is a bit tacky. I just understand the desire for the tacky I guess. 

Anniversary
  • Tchavon1984Tchavon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    I plan most of my wedding while Im at work because Im always there all of my co-workers know and yet only a few are being invited. If a person you barely have any type of relationship with whether it be on fb or at work thinks bcuz you talk about ur wedding that they should be invited is crazy! I have some ppl on my fb page for the sole fact that we went to school together. Other then liking status there is nothing more there if they got their feelings hurt bcuz theyre not invited its their problem not mine. Why would you expect that lol I think most ppl know if they are invited or not and if they dont politely let them know unfortunately they are not.... but its your opinion everyone thinks differently. Me personally I think the deal is only as big as you make it. I dont care if you post or not someone's feelings are always gonna be hurt when it comes to weddings.
  • I actually had a guy post a picture of his son's first poop in the potty. Not the kid sitting on the potty - what was inside it. Just want I want to see! Thanks asshat! 
  • @ClimbingBrideNY ...OMG. EW. I don't even know what to say to that. I'd be tempted to send them a photo of my pet's poop, captioned, "My fur baby can do that, too. Big whoop."

• Well guess that makes me and a few other ppl rude. There are some ppl that may "flaunt" their weddings in ppls face. Ring size this, best venue that, 50,000 budget yada yada yada. But I am genuinely happy Ive been thru A LOT before I met my FI. So to go from that to being engaged and in a fulfilling relationship I feel blessed and I dont see anything wrong with sharing. Do I over share... No. But I do share and like I said before those who are interested comment or like. Those who arent keep it moving. If you think its rude then dont do it but dont criticize ppl who do bcuz not everyone is doing it to be "rude"
  • It doesn't matter if you're not doing it to be rude. That doesn't change that fact that something is rude. 
  • @Tchavon1984 - You are getting really defensive. No one is saying you can't be happy and share that happiness but constant facebook posts about weddings are just fucking annoying. No one is going to be as excited about your wedding as you are so even though I'm sure people are happy for you at a certain point they don't want their Facebook news feed to be full of updates on your planning. Why not just share that with the people close to you with a phone call, text, or e-mail? Why does it have to go on Facebook? Is that the only way to express happiness?

Also, just because you aren't doing something to purposefully be rude doesn't mean you aren't being rude.

Really defensive... Im just saying what other ppl wont to say that do the same, but dont want the back lash of the finger pointing and judging. Its social networking! you dont like it just delete them ... plain and simple geesh its really not that serious lol you think its rude, I dont. Lets agree to disagree theres no point in going back and forth bcuz at the end of the day we are still going to feel the way we feel about the whole subject.

• Tchavon1984Tchavon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

I think what people are trying to tell you, @Tchavon1984, is that YOU may not think it's rude or over-sharing, but a lot of your friends probably do.

And yes people can (and probably have) block(ed) you from their newsfeeds, which is of course an option. But if you alienate people enough with narcissistic status updates you're eventually going to find not a lot of people are still interested in what you're saying.

We all understand weddings are important to the bride and groom, but most of us just don't want to see daily updates on a party we're not invited to.

Think about it outside of the context of a wedding. If your co - workers kept talking about an awesome party or you kept seeing updates about this great event on FB and you weren't invited, you'd feel hurt.

Also, please for the love of all things holy can the text - speak on TK. It makes your posts so very hard to read.

I see the shit all the time and I dont care! Thats the thing Im not an overly sensitive person Ive had several fb friends that I was actually really cool with in school who posted about their wedding and posted pictures I wasnt invited I didnt cry my feelings didnt get hurt lol. One of my co workers plan crap all the time if I dont get invited bcuz him and I arent cool. I dont care. Call it what you want.... I dont see it ur way prob never will.

• First off lets get one thing correct I dont over share anything I said I have shared things. But the point Im trying to get at is why talk shit just block or delete them Im sure the person would care less if you did.... but in all honesty whats worse then an over sharing person are ppl that are constantly know it all's and negative nancys (does TK have a block button?) . If ur biggest worry is if someone has blocked ur post on fb. A life is def needed anyways Im done I cant stand too much negativity over stupid shit. Dueces!

About the punctuation thing. This is the internet not a report for school I could care less u obviously read it bcuz u replied lol
  • Tchavon1984 - you can go right on posting on Facebook about your wedding. That's your right. But even if you don't find it upsetting or hurtful or annoying, that doesn't mean other people don't. If I was friendly with someone that posted about every detail of their wedding, and then didn't get invited, I'm sure my feelings would be hurt. And unless you are inviting every single person you have a friendship with, there's no way you're going to avoid that. 
  • Are you jealous? bitter? Some people are just really excited & want to share things with their friends & family members.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards