Chit Chat

I can't believe how many people post about their weddings on FB.

2»

Re: I can't believe how many people post about their weddings on FB.

• To be fair, I think everybody has a different threshold when it comes to what constitutes oversharing. I'm one of those "here's a pic of this food I made" people, but I post probably one pic a month so I don't feel it's oversharing, but I'm sure some people roll their eyes and hide me. I've also posted a few pics of wedding crafts, which I'm sure has annoyed somebody.

I think the key is to just think a bit before you post...you'll still annoy somebody but hopefully not everybody. I enjoyed seeing one friend's wedding pics while never expecting an invite, but some of her FB friends wrote really nasty comments about how not everybody could afford a wedding like that and she shouldn't rub it in their faces...in that case they were the rude ones, IMO.
  • Belthil said:
    When I was engaged I changed my FB status to engaged more than a week after it happened because H and I wanted to let everyone know from us directly. I posted a few engagement photos but only for my profile picture. At the end I did something like "down to single digits..." but that was it. H had to prompt me to change my relationship status to married over a month after.

Oversharing on FB is rampant and annoying. The check-in function especially. I don't need to know where you're eating out/that you've gone to the gym. The really annoying people check-in and post pictures of their food.
    Omg, yes. The check-ins at the gym. Why??? Well, I know why - to be an AW. Look at me! I'm at the gym. Good for you. I go to the gym 4 times a week to but I don't need to brag about it to 400 people. 
  • Are you jealous? bitter? Some people are just really excited & want to share things with their friends & family members.
    Did you read the post? I'm guessing not. I have nothing to be jealous over. I'm planning my own wedding. Bitter? Not quite. It's rude and tacky to post about every minute detail of your wedding unless you plan on inviting all of your Facebook friends. If you want to share things with your friends and family, then share it with JUST them. 

THIS. Why would I be jealous or bitter? I really don't think you understand the heart of the issue. Why would I be jealous of oversharing? If I wanted to, I could easily do it myself. I choose not to because I find it rude. I never said, "don't post anything at all because I hate seeing anything wedding related!" -- that would just be silly. And I'm certainly not bitter, considering that I'm planning the exact wedding I've always wanted.

• I had a friend who made at least one post a week for the six months she was wedding planning. We knew when she did every single things at it got a little annoying. I will probably post general info but no specifics. I also dont mind seeing wedding stuff even if im not invited unless it becomes wayyy too much.

• I posted that we were engaged (without photos) and after quite a few out of town friends begged to see a photo from the evening, I posted ONE.  The reason why I haven't posted anything else (I practically had to sit on my hands yesterday when I wanted to exclaim that we were only 6 months away), is because a dear friend of mine got married a few years ago and would post lots of details and then people would comment, "Oh we haven't gotten our invitation yet, isn't the wedding next week???" and it happened SO many times.  Now obviously, her friends should not have said anything like that, I feel like that was really rude and insensitive on their part. At the same time, because she was excited and over-sharing, she was making everyone excited for it also, and a few people did get upset after the wedding when they had never gotten an invite.  I have another friend doing the same right now, and people will ask me questions when they see her post things because I'm in the WP. I just tell them to ask her for info because obviously I don't know their entire guest list, but it puts me in a VERY uncomfortable position.

So @Tchavon1984, you are not a bad person for being excited and announcing wedding-related information on FB, I'm sure you're not being blatantly rude. (That would be posting a pic of a edding cake and saying something like, "this is our cake, here's a sneak peek for those of you who will be invited!")  However, you just have to realize that there may be one or two people who are disappointed after your wedding when they realized that they weren't invited, I'm sure you can understand that :)   And I would  hate for you to lose "FB friends" over this as a few of my friends have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To be fair, I think everybody has a different threshold when it comes to what constitutes oversharing. I'm one of those "here's a pic of this food I made" people, but I post probably one pic a month so I don't feel it's oversharing, but I'm sure some people roll their eyes and hide me. I've also posted a few pics of wedding crafts, which I'm sure has annoyed somebody. I think the key is to just think a bit before you post...you'll still annoy somebody but hopefully not everybody. I enjoyed seeing one friend's wedding pics while never expecting an invite, but some of her FB friends wrote really nasty comments about how not everybody could afford a wedding like that and she shouldn't rub it in their faces...in that case they were the rude ones, IMO.
    Holy cow! Posting photos from your own wedding is rubbing it in others' faces? Yowza. I love looking at other people's wedding photos, regardless of whether or not I was invited/in attendance. 

I also agree with the concept of "think before you post". Personally, I haven't posted a thing about my wedding, not even the date, because it's going to be small and 95% of my Facebook friends won't be invited. I've had a few comments with questions and I replied to each privately. 

Talking about wedding planning can be misconstrued and even used maliciously. Case in point, my high school class had a private Facebook group to discuss our 10 year reunion. One woman, who was very unpopular and unfortunate-looking in high school, posted that she couldn't come to the reunion because she was planning her wedding. Um, sorry, I know you're not "planning" a wedding on a Saturday night and only wrote that to prove a point.  
    I can tell the difference between someone making happy/funny posts about planning and others who are throwing their "achievement" in others' faces. 

So, my two cents. 

• @thejucheidea I adore that Portal christmas tree.
  • I have friends who talk about nothing BUT their wedding planning and their FI's. It's very irritating. I posted on FB my engagement status and then posted a picture of my ring because many, many people asked to see it. I didn't even want to post a picture of it but FH really wanted me to, so eh. 

I doubt I'll post about anything else. I think it's rude and almost seems like I'm asking for attention.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @thejucheidea -- I also love your tree!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    It's wedding season, and people are posting constantly about getting engaged/married/having a baby, etc.  

I'm not a fan of the over-sharing in general, regardless of whether it's wedding related or not.  I have a friend who's very into fitness and working out.  Do I need to see every selfie of her at the gym with her shirt pulled up or cooking her 8 pounds of chicken and grilled veggies for "bulking"?  Nope, I'm good.  I agree with you ladies, Facebook made people think they they need to share every last detail.  And for the record, I'm currently engaged and planning a wedding, my sister is getting engaged soon, and my friends are all in new  or serious relationships.  I'm thrilled for all of them & can't wait to celebrate, but I still feel the same way about the things people post on Facebook.  

@ClimbingBride--people who post that should be called out on their shit.  Literally.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I changed my relationship status when we got engaged (after phoning the nearest and dearest, obviously). And I posted once when I had a nightmare about not being able to find a dress and having to walk down the aisle in a navy blue sundress with a turquoise fascinator... I don't think I've posted anything else wedding related, and I plan on keeping it that way, because I sure as heck am not inviting everyone who's on my FB friends list!

I understand the excitement, I really do, but that's what FB lists and Whatsapp are for. I have a Whatsapp group with my mom, MOH, and MOH's sister who's going to be my day-of co-ordinator - wedding news gets posted there.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I post things to my FI every so often, like today I posted "4 months!" with a bunch of hearts to him. But for everything else I do I created a special group on Facebook with just my bridesmaids so I can gloat there and not feel like I'm annoying everyone else :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with you, ClimbingBrideNY!  I'm trying very hard not to talk about wedding at all on Facebook, but I have other friends that don't have the same philosophy.  By the way, my fiance and I are also climbers - I'd be interested to know if you're incorporating it into your wedding.
  • I'm not really bothered by the wedding updates unless they are unnecessarily frequent or deliberately AWish. One acquaintance posted constantly about her venue searching. I finally unfollowed her because all her posts had a tone of "Woe is me, I have this huge budget and none of the high-end venues in town are up to snuff."

A while back I was looking through a family scrapbook and found a newspaper clipping of a review of my great-grandaunt's wedding in the 1930's (she was in the upper echelon of St. Louis society at the time) - complete with a detailed description of the dress and the menu highlights. Could not believe it. Did this really used to be a thing??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think it depends on your area and paper. I know a lot of the small-town papers in my area will write about details of weddings after they take place. How cool to find your great-grandaunt's wedding review!
  • Yup, they used to publish that stuff in newspapers, funny right? It's like the same as facebook is now. I found old newspaper articles pertaining to my dad's family and it's just like that. It tells who was in what hospital, shows photos of a car crash, talks about a fire breaking out in a house. It really was used in the same way back then.

I don't mind occasional posts on FB about things. But it's weird to me to post that much detail. I don't see anything wrong with people posting photos after the event happens so that everyone can see them though. That's fairly normal to me.

I've pretty much kept all my wedding planning off of FB because I don't want to spam people with all that stuff.
  • @KeptInStitches that's really interesting. I guess I have no frame of reference for it. My hometown newspaper didn't include such things (I'm from a small city in Missouri) and I can't remember the last time I picked up a hard copy paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Pepper6 said:
    I posted when I got engaged, and when we set an official wedding date, but other than that I kept all details off FB because we were not inviting everyone and I think it's rude to flaunt an event in someone's face that won't be invited to.

I hate oversharers on FB in general though.  Seriously, I don't need to know that you've picked out your centerpieces, I don't need to know what you are having for dinner every single night, I don't need to know that your kid pooped in the toilet again, etc.  FB has just made people think they are more interesting than they really are...

Sooooo agree. Second to wedding overload is new mom overshares. I'm really sick of seeing posts about the validity of 'nipple confusion', how to stop a newborn from spitting up breast milk, and what colour your pride and joy's poop was today (and which food probably contributed to said colour). Don't you have forums for that stuff, filled with other new moms who don't mind reading about this stuff?? Please keep it off of my feed. (Note: I do block some from my feed, but more keep popping up!)
    hahaha. This is so true. I like the cute kid pics. Like first Halloween costumes and such. The worst is when they give you the status on the kid's colds. "Temp down to 99.6, less stuffy today". Seriously, I don't want to know.
  • kgd7357kgd7357 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
  • I'm not really bothered by the wedding updates unless they are unnecessarily frequent or deliberately AWish. One acquaintance posted constantly about her venue searching. I finally unfollowed her because all her posts had a tone of "Woe is me, I have this huge budget and none of the high-end venues in town are up to snuff."

A while back I was looking through a family scrapbook and found a newspaper clipping of a review of my great-grandaunt's wedding in the 1930's (she was in the upper echelon of St. Louis society at the time) - complete with a detailed description of the dress and the menu highlights. Could not believe it. Did this really used to be a thing??
    I saw a newspaper clipping from the paper in the town where my grandmother was from (where my mom never lived) that had a ton of details about the wedding including a picture, what they ate and what the bridesmaids were given as bridesmaids gifts (not even kidding).

And this was only 25 years ago!
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

There is so much on Facebook that annoys me (check ins, when someone writes an post to their SO when they live together about missing them when they are at work, when they post about their wedding every day) but I do like it when they post pics of their wedding. I love looking at people's wedding pics, especially if I didn't go to the wedding. I guess I am nosy like that.

• I'm guilty of sharing stuff on facebook but on facebook I only have family and friends that I actually know, not random people that I met online.

Those who I did not invite I didn't share those statuses with them. I also try to be very vague when it comes to wedding stuff. Example" Yay got so much done today! Just another thing marked off my list of things to do. Hope to get more done tomorrow"

Those who have asked me (BP) know what that kind of status means. I try not to over share but some of my family and friends ask me so I tell them.

I also do NOT post pics of anything. Pics get sent directly to the people I want to see them. Not sure if I've annoyed people or not....I tried not to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards