Chit Chat

XP: Dress shopping!

JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited December 2013 in Chit Chat
I'm going dress shopping for the first time with one of my best friends, who is visiting from Australia, next week.  I'm psyched even though it's probably too early to actually buy the dress, so this is really the very first "just looking" kind of situation.  We're going quite early in the process because she only visits once a year.

What should I know before I go?  Should I feel bad about not intending to walk out with a dress the same day?  For anybody who is married or already found their dress, did it take you a lot of visits or did you find The One right away?  I'm not even sure what kind of store to start with: I live in the NYC area, so the world is pretty much my oyster, but it's a little overwhelming.  I was thinking to start at DB, but I've heard about a lot of negative experiences on these boards.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: XP: Dress shopping!

• 1. Don't let the dress size get to you. Expect to be at least 2 sizes bigger than your street size. If you're a street size 10 you might be a 14 or 16 depending on the style / designer of the dress.

2. Do not feel bad about not intending to buy BUT be open. I bought my dress over a year out. I am waiting to get it altered though. 

3. I went to one store but it was the 4th or 5th dress I tried on. I knew it was the one but tried on a couple after just for fun. 

4. I got my dress from DB. I loved my experience there. I think it depends on who you have for a consultant.
  • How exciting! I just went a few weeks ago and it was a blast! I guess my biggest advice would be to be open to different styles. My mom has worked at a boutique for 10+ years and she's always said how brides may have their heart set on a certain look, but often times they go in a totally different direction once they try different styles. Unless you find something that you absolutely want, I wouldn't feel bad about leaving without buying a dress. I have a lot of friends who have gone to David's Bridal and they all seemed pleased, but as PP stated, it may depend on who your bridal consultant is. Good luck and have fun! :)

• I took my Maid of Honor, my sister, and my mom. When I was choosing dresses to be pulled and try, I let them pick out some styles that weren't what I would have chosen. I also went in "just looking" because my MOH happened to be in town. It turns out I bought the dress that SHE picked out, which was the first one I tried. So I guess the moral of the story is, be open-minded! It was not at all the style I had loved in magazines, but when I wore it I felt so much like ME.

• edited December 2013
    I completely agree with PPs in being totally open to different styles. That doesn't mean that you have to try on something you know you can't stand right off the bat -- but if you're ambivalent about a dress they hold up, or you think you may not like it but aren't dead-set against it, try it on. A lot of us ended up with dresses that were a totally different style than what we always pictured.

That being said, don't overwhelm yourself and try on too many dresses! I would recommend trying on a couple of different shapes to find what looks best and what you feel the most like a bride in. If you try on two dresses in the same shape (ie: ballgown or mermaid) and you don't really feel like a bride, stop trying on that silhouette -- it's probably not the right one for you. Move on to a different silhouette, until you find something that intrigues/excites you. Then you can worry about details like neckline, fabric, and embellishment.

To answer your question, you absolutely do not need to find the dress your first time out, but if you do, great! Even if you think you found it and don't want to commit just yet, that's okay, too. Take some time, think about it, try one or two things on at another salon... The right dress will be the one that makes you smile the most and that you can't get out of your head.

Happy hunting!

ETF spelling

• I bought my dress over a year out, so of you find sonething you love, don't worry that its too soon. And its okay to go in not expeting to buy, that way you don't have too high of expectations.

Anniversary
  • Personally, I'd skip DB. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. I went to a bridal salon in my area (Rockland County) that came highly recommended by a few friends. I loved the salon I went to. They were extremely helpful. 
    I did buy a dress. It was the last one I tried on (out of 10). 

Take pictures of yourself in each dress. 
    Be open to trying on a style you might not have thought of. I originally wanted a lace, non-strapless a-line and I bought a satin, strapless mermaid style. 
    Bring heels and a strapless bra. 
  • I second bringing heels and a strapless bra... and water. It can be work getting in and out of the heavy dresses. 

I would say don't be discouraged if you don't have a crying-over-the-top-omg moment with a dress. I think so many women get so wrapped up in 'the one.' Maybe it's just me, but it's a dress you'll wear once. Yes, I wanted a beautiful dress, but I think too many people put too much weight into the 'perfect' dress. Oh, and DON'T try on any our of your budget. 
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I definitely will be open-minded.  I have sort of this vision of what I will look like but I understand that might not work out.

And yes to the budget thing-- I can't stand when I see girls on Say Yes try on things out of their budget because their friends or mom picked it out, and then of course they fall in love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My engaged DD found she had pinned the same dress to her pinterest board 3 different times!  It was the one that gave the the dreamy googly-eye expression when she looked at it.  She tried it on and was completely underwhelmed.  I definitely agree with being open minded.

2 of my girls bought gowns at DB with good experiences and the other 2 went elsewhere - I don't think they even went to DB.  They are my stepdd's and I wasn't part of the shopping trip with them so I'm not sure where all they shopped.

Don't freak out about the sizing - it will be bigger than what you normally wear.  It is for everyone and is part of the wedding industry racket.  It doesn't apply to anywhere else you shop, but it sure does in the wedding industry.  Alterations are a cash cow for them.

DON'T try dresses on that are way beyond your budget.  Just DON'T go there!

Be aware that some salons will not allow you to take pictures.  This is a pet peeve of mine but their shop, their rules.

Have fun!
  • Mine was at my first shop like 3rd dress but I tried on diffrent styles. I told the lady what I would like but after that she was free to pull whatever she want in our price range(I figured its her job she probably knows what looks best on my body shape) take a full coverage strapless bra if you have one and the right kinda undies(no cotton and make them a light color) and maybe flip flops (i hate walking around bare foot /socks in public places)
  • Also ask about alteations all mine are included in the price of my dress cause that can always bite you in the butt I had a friend soend 900 on her dress then 200 on alterations. Davids bridal is good for up charging on alterations and I just think the littke mom and pop alteation places do better.

If you dont buy make sure to write down names/style numbers of ones you like
  • When I went dress shopping I took my mom, sister and good friend. On one other trip my FMIL came along.  I began shopping in July for my dress for a June wedding.  I found the dress on my second trip out.  My mom insisted I go to a few more stores and try on more dresses.  It was really annoying actually because I just wanted to order my dress and call it a day.  I went the next weekend to try on more dresses and found nothing I liked.  I went back the following weekend to order my dress, I thought it was a bit early but the dress won't come in until March.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards