Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ugh transition help needed for the 2 awkward wedding transitions...

Ok-- making it simple here. I've been to many weddings and have worked many weddings yet there are consistently two main times when things get super awkward during transitions. I'd really like to avoid this on my wedding day if possible. The issue is going from high energy to low /unknown energy. Time #1--Right after the wedding and the bridal party walks back down the aisle. It always seems super strange as they all walk down and really have no where to go but to turn around and walk back down the aisle for pictures or they just stand there while the guests work their way down the aisle to the cocktail hour or whatever is planned. We are not really excited about the idea of a receiving line...we plan to have more personal time with folks during meal time since we will eat first and then roam about chatting with folks. Ideas????? Time # 2---once the announcement of the bridal party occurs at the reception--- everyone gets excited and walks in and the energy level is up and then the couple walk in and more energy and then the strange moment of .... Ok they are here, now what? The couple will sometimes go right into the first dance which then is kinda odd because the guests are still feeling stiff and not sure what to do. I usually hear a few men (who have the game on their phone) mumble something about when can they eat while some guests stand, some sit at their table (their space), some grab cameras and run to the dance floor. Things seem so disjointed at this point. Other couples come in and head straight to the table and they the food lines /service (if no buffet) begin. But it is high energy into low energy anyway you play it....thoughts ideas? About our wedding it is 100% outside and the grounds where the ceremony is will be the same exact grounds where the reception will occur. Wedding is in May and will start at 4 or 5, we think. Please help

Re: Ugh transition help needed for the 2 awkward wedding transitions...

• Options
    uum I have never found those moments to be awkward ? It's pretty standard...
  • Options
    that's good to know. Perhaps, I am the only one who finds these transitions awkward. :) Thanks! Also, please go easy on me folks...I have been reading some posts and replies on here and sometimes the comments are downright mean. yikes!
  • Options
    Ok-- making it simple here. I've been to many weddings and have worked many weddings yet there are consistently two main times when things get super awkward during transitions. I'd really like to avoid this on my wedding day if possible. The issue is going from high energy to low /unknown energy. Time #1--Right after the wedding and the bridal party walks back down the aisle. It always seems super strange as they all walk down and really have no where to go but to turn around and walk back down the aisle for pictures or they just stand there while the guests work their way down the aisle to the cocktail hour or whatever is planned. We are not really excited about the idea of a receiving line...we plan to have more personal time with folks during meal time since we will eat first and then roam about chatting with folks. Ideas????? Time # 2---once the announcement of the bridal party occurs at the reception--- everyone gets excited and walks in and the energy level is up and then the couple walk in and more energy and then the strange moment of .... Ok they are here, now what? The couple will sometimes go right into the first dance which then is kinda odd because the guests are still feeling stiff and not sure what to do. I usually hear a few men (who have the game on their phone) mumble something about when can they eat while some guests stand, some sit at their table (their space), some grab cameras and run to the dance floor. Things seem so disjointed at this point. Other couples come in and head straight to the table and they the food lines /service (if no buffet) begin. But it is high energy into low energy anyway you play it....thoughts ideas? About our wedding it is 100% outside and the grounds where the ceremony is will be the same exact grounds where the reception will occur. Wedding is in May and will start at 4 or 5, we think. Please help
    I don't find these moments awkward.  If you have your ceremony and reception at the same location, the bridal party could head back to the bridal suite first.  Or, if you're in a church, the bridal party could head outside and mingle until all the guests come out.....then go back in for photos.

For the entrance, the only way I've seen it done is the bridal party gets announced, the couple gets announced and the couple goes straight into their first dance.  Very typical for where I'm from.
  • Options
    Thanks. I went to a bunch of weddings in 2013 and that was consistently an issue. Literally they the bridal party walked out of the ceremony or into the reception and just stood their and then they began laughing and didn't know what to do/where to go. Also guests didn't know if they could go into reception area or what to do. Many of the transitions were off. But that was just my experience. One wedding was in Hawaii, one was in Santa Barbara on the beach and another was in the Sacramento area. All struggled with these transitions.
  • Options
    I agree these are really not awkward moments at all. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    These moments only get awkward if you let yourself feel that way. Just try not to overthink it.
  • Options
    Hire a great DJ who will MC. They should be making an announcement for guests to join cocktail hour and then after the grand entrance for guests that they can take their seats and enjoy each other's company and that dinner will be served shortly.

As for the BP and bride and groom not knowing what to do that seems weird to me. How about hug each other, congratulate the couple, talk about how you almost tripped down the aisle etc.

OP, plan ahead for these things but on the day of just be in the moment and enjoy and try not to overthink things!
  • Options
    I've seen these moments be a bit awkward. But they don't have to be. The bridal party needs someplace to go upon exiting the ceremony, and the guests need to know where THEY'RE supposed to be going. If you have these two things, it's not awkward at all. The bridal party should get that all figured out during the rehearsal, as well as any immediate family that will be joining the bridal party for pics, etc. Whether they head outside for photos, or back to the bridal suite or whatever, they should have a clear destination and go there. For the guests, someone should announce something along the lines of "Please proceed upstairs for the cocktail hour". 

I've usually seen the guests get seated in the reception, and then entrances are made. If the bridal party has very lively and energetic entrances, it can be a bit awkward to go from that to them just sitting and watching a slow first dance. However, I've seen non-awkward entrances that had high-energy bridal party, then the bride and groom, where all the guests were all standing around the dance floor, and everyone danced a bit, and then everyone was seated together, and the bride and groom did their first dance a little while later. Or you can only have a bride and groom entrance, followed by a first dance and dinner, and then get the energy up AFTER dinner for when everyone is dancing. This is what I like best, and plan to do. I don't like a little peak of energy/dancing before a nice dinner. 
  • Options
    I was a photographer for many years and I know exactly the awkwardness you are talking about but I've also seen it just keep giong.  I think others have some great suggestions.  For my wedding (always the photographer FINALLY the bride!) I'm addressing those a few ways:

1) After the BP goes up the aisle I am going to have them come back around the outside of the guests (we are having an outdoor wedding) and having my coordinator send the guests to cocktail hour a short distance away. I am also only doing 5 or so group pictures that will be available for everyone later so I am going to push everyone except the photographer away. 

2) For the entrance we are coming in to a really upbeat song.  As each attendant is announced they'll go straight to their seat (after a cool pose for the camera LOL) and once we come in after we acknowledge everyone I am thinking of having the DJ say, "Now for the moment you all have REALLY been waiting for, we'll start DINNER with the Bride and Groom" or something similar.  

Don't know if it will work or not.. but I'm also pretty energetic myself so figure i'll just read the room and go from there. LOL  I also don't expect to care much about it by then.  I want our first dance after dinner to kick off the dancing. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A good dj and a good on-site coordinator go a long way. People should know what to do in these moments - they should be planned and announced.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards