Just Engaged and Proposals

Did You Pick Out Your Engagement Ring?

Hi ladies! I recently got engaged, but I had already showed the ring I wanted to my FH when we first started talking marriage. He ended up getting the exact ring. Are there any other ladies who picked out their own rings? And how do you ladies feel about picking your own rings?

Re: Did You Pick Out Your Engagement Ring?

• Yes, I did. I would not have wanted my husband to pick it out because jewelry is such a personal thing, tastewise.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No, but he did know my taste.  My e-ring is an heirloom from my FI's mom's side of the family.  It is very beautiful, IMO, and my FI added more white gold around the band (there was already some in the prongs).  
  • NEY, but when we have looked, we have looked together. I'd like to get something I can wear (I work with my hands a lot, and something too big or high set wouldn't be good).
  • Nope but FI knows my taste and picked out something I love.
  • Nope, but he knew general ideas (white gold, solitaire) and took my best friend along who reserved veto power. And the result is that I have a ring I don't think I would have picked out myself, but I absolutely love it. 
  • I was surprised by mine. I'm pretty simple so I think FI took that into consideration.
  • Yes I helped :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope, I didn't. I never had any interest into looking at rings. I have never showed him any pictures of rings I liked but he did really good. :) 
  • We looked at styles so he knew what I wanted. He didn't buy the exact ring (we were looking at Tiffany) but it's the same style.
  • He asked me to pick out the ring I wanted, but that he had veto power if he didn't like it. He loved it as much as I do, so that's the one he gave me :)
  • I gave my fiance parameters---white gold and mystic fire topaz center stone. He bought me a beautiful ring with 60 tiny diamonds and a big mystic fire topaz. I absolutely love it. Whenever I get compliments I tell them my fiance has great taste.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is an heirloom ring, so I didn't have to pick it out, but I did organize getting it sent from across the country. If I had waited for my FI to ask my mother to get it appraised and send it, then I probably would have had to wait until Christmas or longer--which would have been fine, really. My FI actually proposed before we got the ring and slipped a different ring off my right hand and put it on my left. I wore that until the actual ring arrived, then moved it back over to my right hand. I guess I sort of have two erings?
  • I gave him lots of ideas. I didn't really have a particular ring I gawked over but he did very well choosing the one he did! I wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Just can't wait til July 11th, 2015!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • FI had an idea and he had a ring custom made for me. I had no idea what it looked like until he proposed.

Luckily, I love it.

Anniversary
  • Nope, but we shopped together so he could get an idea of what I wanted. He figured out my style and created a custom ring. He picked something out that was totally me. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope. We never looked at rings. The only thing I ever mentioned in passing was that I liked non-diamond engagement rings. He gave me a family ring his dad made.
  • Yes - FI and I went to the jewelers together.  I picked out every aspect of the ring.  He felt I was going to be wearing it for the rest of my life and he wanted me to have something I absolutely loved. 

FI and I actually basically decided together we wanted to get married, he never got down on one knee with the ring.  The lady at the jewelry store said her husband was the same way and they've been married 35+ years.

Anniversary
  • Sorta kinda. FI surprised me by taking me to a jewelry store 2 months before he proposed so he could get an idea. I picked out 5 different settings that I liked and the jeweler wrote these down for FI. He went back some time later and picked the one he liked the most. It's perfect.
    Anniversary

• Not exactly, but I did send him about 10 pics of rings I liked and then he kept the most common factors from those rings in mind when picking out my ring.

• I showed my H a few pictures of rings I liked. Then we stopped by a jewelry store to try a few on. So he had a pretty good idea of what I wanted.

I am wearing it for the rest of my life, so I figured I should get a say in it :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I sort of did.
    We had gone out and looked at rings before he proposed, he knew he wanted a solitaire, and I really wanted yellow gold- that was my only "condition". Back in Oct, we had to go to our jeweler to get our watches fixed and we had a look at the engagement rings. I liked the NESW settings and I didn't see one that they had like that, BF (at the time) saw it and we tried it on, I almost started crying because I loved it so much, it was (almost) perfect. the band was white gold. Then little to my knowledge our jeweler worked his magic and about a month later he proposed (22/11/13)

But I would have taken any ring he gave me even if it came out of a cracker jack box.

ETA: spelling

• mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    ETA: Stupid Double Post. Sorry!!

• We both picked out our own rings, pretty much.  Both of ours are non-traditional, according to other people.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

• I picked mine out online, but it still looked even more stunning in person.
    Anniversary
  • I did!  My fiancee tried to pick on out, but got nervous he'd wouldn't pick the right one, so he proposed with a "temporary" ring, then we designed one together, which he had custom made for me.   I love it and am thrilled I got to pick it myself.   
  • We went to three different jewelers and picked out a different one at each. He chose between those three. I'm glad he went with the one he did, but really I would have been happy with anything.
  • We looked together and decided on what we both liked. I did pick out the stone though, because nice ovals are hard to find (many are too boxy, too round, and/or have an obvious bowtie). I looked for weeks!! After that purchase was made, he worked with a jeweler locally to design the setting, and at that point I was out of the picture. 

I have the ring now and I love it! 

I'd love to see pics of other people's rings. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards