Snarky Brides

Worst proposals

Re: Worst proposals

• We were ice skating outside at sunset and I wanted to go to the fence to rest. He said he had to tie his skate and knelt down and proposed. It was seriously so romantic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @larrygaga I can't stop watching your signature .gif.  LOL!

• @larrygaga I can't stop watching your signature .gif.  LOL!
    I sometimes just sit and watch it over and over. That twist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @CamiSelene Just to clarify, to see if I read that right . . . he proposed with a bowl of fruit? Was there a ring in the fruit? Or did he just say "Here's a banana, want to get married?" Because much as I love bananas, that would just be weird.

• Hahaha, @kerbohl no ring. He just held up a bowl of fruit for me to eat because we were watching a movie and that was our snack. Yeah it was super lame and weird.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• The first time I was married (no wedding) my ex "proposed" to me in a burger king by saying "we should just get married." He didn't even sound excited about it LOL. Talk about red flags!
  • Mine put the ring in the refrigerator. Next to like ground pork. I didn't even notice it was there until he came in like, UH HELLO?! and motioned toward it. I didn't cry (he thought I would) because I was just so like, "...what? for real?" about it.

Oi. 

Stoked about getting married to him, though.
  • A friend of ours (well, not really a friend anymore...) bought his gal's E-ring on the way home from work (ordered it I guess?) with her AmEx.  She checks her AmEx every night before bed, so he had to let her know he bought it and if he'd marry her, since the deposit would show up the next day at the earliest.

The reason for using her AmEx: He really wanted the air miles/points/whatever you collect on an American Express.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• E2theBE2theB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I knew a guy who was walking out of the store where he purchased the ring and was hit by a vehicle. It resulted in lots of medical issues for him, a legal battle with the woman who hit him, and I think after all was said and done, they split up anyway. :( 
  • My coworker dragged his (now wife) out of bed to watch the sunrise on her birthday while they were vacationing in Cambodia.  He hiked up to the top of the hill (she grumped the whole way, lol) and as they were sitting there this convo happened:

Coworker: I think these years have been the best years of my life--

Now Wife: --Oh, I don't know.  I'm sure our BEST years were when we're kids and you get to sleep and poop all the time!

Coworker: ....No I meant time spent with you...  I wanted to ask if you would marry me.

Yup, she brought poop talk to a proposal.  She's such a goof, lol.

I botched my own proposal.  FI had the ring for a long time and was over thinking the proposal quite a bit.  We went to a concert and he was going to pop the question there (as the concert happened to be on Valentine's day as well) but I got super grumpy and tired and he backed out.  A month later, we were on a very routine walk to buy FI new work boots, and when we got home from our outing I was called to the living room and he popped the question there.  He said he was tired of waiting for the perfect time to arrive and realized the perfect time was now, today.  I thought it was super sweet and wouldn't change it.

• I was so surprised at mine and it was so romantic that I didn't even answer. I just cried. Then FI was like.."well?"

lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FI and I had talked about getting engaged at the end of the year or something.  Maybe.  FI had other plans.  FI went through three various contingencies during our trip to Edinburgh before he got to ask (sorta).  First was St. Margaret's Chapel -- nope too many people.  Holyrood Palace?  Closed! (Thanks random royal family member visiting.)  Then we went to Spoon, the place where JK Rowling wrote most of Harry Potter.  He didn't think it seemed right, plus we wanted try to Elephant House, the OTHER place where Rowling wrote Harry Potter. I almost found out when he was trying to get change for the coffee, and the money was in the ring pocket.  Fortunately, he dropped a bunch of coins on the floor, and as I went to pick them up, he was able to swap out the ring.

Once we get to Elephant House and are seated at Rowling's table, he passes me the ring under the table, and asks, "Will you?"

My response: Giggling and "You son of a bitch. You sneaky bastard."  He'd misdirected me the entire time about when he would propose. 

After about five minutes of this and looking at the ring happily, he had to prompt me, " Well???"

"Oh! yes."

It  was totally us:  him going through a long series of comedic mishaps to propose, only to have me cuss him out and forget to say yes. XD
  • FI proposed to me on probably one of the most hungover days of my life... The night before we had had a going away party for my best friend and BM before she was set to leave for Guinea, Africa for 2+ years of Peace Corps service.  We literally laid in bed all day, and i shouldve picked up that something was going on when i caught him staring at my hand for a bit.  He finally said something like we should go out to dinner, and suggested PF Changs.  I wanted to stay local and simple so i suggest Applebee's, dragged my butt into the shower, threw on yoga pants and off we go.  After dinner i made him stop at the food store for work the next day.  Then all the sudden after the store he pulls into a local park, drags me (with a very confused look on my face) to the middle of a gazebo, and gets down on one knee.  

He had to tell me 3 times to stop shaking my head and incessantly saying yes and let him finish his thoughts.  But i said yes of course!

Turns out he'd had the ring for a while and realized he wanted me to have it before said friend left and decided that it was a good time after watching she and i at the party the night before.  He also failed to ask my father since he did it on impulse.
  • My coworker dragged his (now wife) out of bed to watch the sunrise on her birthday while they were vacationing in Cambodia.  He hiked up to the top of the hill (she grumped the whole way, lol) and as they were sitting there this convo happened:

Coworker: I think these years have been the best years of my life--

Now Wife: --Oh, I don't know.  I'm sure our BEST years were when we're kids and you get to sleep and poop all the time!

Coworker: ....No I meant time spent with you...  I wanted to ask if you would marry me.

Yup, she brought poop talk to a proposal.  She's such a goof, lol.

I botched my own proposal.  FI had the ring for a long time and was over thinking the proposal quite a bit.  We went to a concert and he was going to pop the question there (as the concert happened to be on Valentine's day as well) but I got super grumpy and tired and he backed out.  A month later, we were on a very routine walk to buy FI new work boots, and when we got home from our outing I was called to the living room and he popped the question there.  He said he was tired of waiting for the perfect time to arrive and realized the perfect time was now, today.  I thought it was super sweet and wouldn't change it.

DH had food poisoning when he proposed. He proposed during one of his breaks from the bathroom. I knew he had food poisoning and he had told me earlier each trip to the bathroom was an adventure to see which end should be on the toilet. We were Europe and it was our anniversary and he was determined not to let anything ruin his big, romantic proposal plans. The poop/vomit talk killed the romance, but it's a great story and I (obviously) said yes!

Anniversary
  • @HaileyDancingbear Oh I know.  One of our family friends owns a horse rescue farm for abandoned race horses, I think all mares.  I don't know anything about horsemanship in general but the stories of the "ladies" at our friend's farm could just break your heart.  These are horses who made millions for their owners and are then just starved and left to die the moment their moneymaking goes away.  I'm a huge sissy for animals; I can't even watch those ASPCA commercials without crying.  Both my kitties are rescues and if I had a bigger house, I'd probably have ten cats.
    Ugh that pisses me off so bad. My parents were both race horse trainers, and they worked every damn day to make sure their horses were as healthy and happy as possible. Real jerks have given the whole industry a bad name. 

Kudos to what you are doing. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • heard this story from a co-worker:

Her two friends Bill and Christine are big-time gamers. One night, Christine goes up to bed by herself because Bill is in the middle of a really big quest of some sort on some kind of role-playing computer game.  Hours later around 3am, Bill comes running up to the bedroom screaming 'Fire! Fire! Get up! Fire!' Christine scrambles around scared and confused and comes running down the stairs, following Bill out to the front lawn. Christine is checking out their house to make sure the ghastly fire isn't spreading. She realizes there is no fire. Bill gets down on one knee and proposes.

• peachy13 said:
    heard this story from a co-worker:

Her two friends Bill and Christine are big-time gamers. One night, Christine goes up to bed by herself because Bill is in the middle of a really big quest of some sort on some kind of role-playing computer game.  Hours later around 3am, Bill comes running up to the bedroom screaming 'Fire! Fire! Get up! Fire!' Christine scrambles around scared and confused and comes running down the stairs, following Bill out to the front lawn. Christine is checking out their house to make sure the ghastly fire isn't spreading. She realizes there is no fire. Bill gets down on one knee and proposes.
    Why the eff is terrifying your girlfriend a thing???  Was that necessary?  Yuck.

• peachy13 said:
    heard this story from a co-worker:

SITB

I would have killed him. That is completely unacceptable. You do not wake me up in the middle of the night, terrify me, and then ask me to be your wife. WTF?
  • 15 years ago my step father went and bought a ring, came in threw it in my moms lap and said we are getting married and left.. not the room.. the house... she didn't even know what to say. We just looked at eachother. Now 14 years later they are married and that's how he plans to ask her to renew their vows next year. He's not very romantic. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My parents were married going on 42 years, and my mom said my dad never proposed to her.

They dated for a year and a half, he gave her a ring, his sister set up the courthouse wedding, and they got married. Mom said they just assumed they would get married someday.

People have told me that is awful, but they were married til my dad died.

• Gotta say, sometimes the worst proposals turn out the best in the long run.  Someone I work with, who has been married 40-odd years, said she was actually engaged to someone else when she met her now-husband. They hung out twice, and they were sitting on a park bench and she said, "So, you want to get married?"  He said yes, she ended it with her original fiance, and they were married mere days later at the courthouse.  Sounds crass, but after 40 years, it's a testament to the old adage "when you know, you know!"  

• Gotta say, sometimes the worst proposals turn out the best in the long run.  Someone I work with, who has been married 40-odd years, said she was actually engaged to someone else when she met her now-husband. They hung out twice, and they were sitting on a park bench and she said, "So, you want to get married?"  He said yes, she ended it with her original fiance, and they were married mere days later at the courthouse.  Sounds crass, but after 40 years, it's a testament to the old adage "when you know, you know!"  
    This lady has watermelon sized cojones! I kinda love it, though I wonder how the ex took it when she said "Yeah, I found someone better and we are getting married in like 5 minutes, kthxbai."

• I've got a good one for ya. Turns out this is the suggestion FI gave to his friend when he proposed to his (now) wife. Thank goodness this happened long before we were a couple and I could make sure he was super aware of what a terrible idea it was (the actual proposal was also FI's idea and it was superb). So basically the idea is this: you get some friends, and you rent a panel van. And you get the friends to all do the ski mask thing, tie you up in the back, and then go and "kidnap" your intended, and chuck her in the back with you being there, all tied up, and drive off. She's scared, you look scared, so you look at her and go "if we get out of this alive, will you marry me?" When she says yes, you alert the friends to pull the van over and release you, and make sure your intended is aware that "verbal contracts are legally binding." He's such a romantic, you know. ^_^. Actually I think the idea was to ensure success of your proposal, lol.
  • Wegl13 said:
    I've got a good one for ya. Turns out this is the suggestion FI gave to his friend when he proposed to his (now) wife. Thank goodness this happened long before we were a couple and I could make sure he was super aware of what a terrible idea it was (the actual proposal was also FI's idea and it was superb). So basically the idea is this: you get some friends, and you rent a panel van. And you get the friends to all do the ski mask thing, tie you up in the back, and then go and "kidnap" your intended, and chuck her in the back with you being there, all tied up, and drive off. She's scared, you look scared, so you look at her and go "if we get out of this alive, will you marry me?" When she says yes, you alert the friends to pull the van over and release you, and make sure your intended is aware that "verbal contracts are legally binding." He's such a romantic, you know. ^_^. Actually I think the idea was to ensure success of your proposal, lol.
    Actual quote from my FI: "That is such a dick move."
  • People need to stop terrifying their women.  Honestly!

• It was a joke...... He didn't actually do this!
  • A girl I'm not friends with anymore had been dating her man 2 days when they moved in together because she didn't want to live at home anymore. 6 weeks in, they found out her dad has some kind of tumor, so she tells man "My dad has cancer, we're getting married. Propose." They don't have money for rings, so she tells her parents she's taking their rings, and he proposes.  Fast forward a month, they're married. Dad doesn't have cancer (I don't know what kind of screw up happened there) and she's demanding new rings because how DARE he propose to her with "used" rings and not buy her new ones.
  • goldchocobo said: People need to stop terrifying their women.  Honestly!image
    Yeah, but if they're terrified, then they
    have to say yes!

Anniversary

• Wegl13 said:
    It was a joke...... He didn't actually do this!
    I'm glad, because people actually do this....

• Omg he's actually said this exact quote lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards