Chit Chat
Options

Anyone else have a very involved groom?

2»

Re: Anyone else have a very involved groom?

• Options

I asked Patrick Stewart on Twitter more than once to be my officiant....

(He didn't respond. Sad panda.)

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    First of all, now when I see the GZ abbreviation I just think Godzilla, not groomzilla. :)

My FI has opinions and we discuss a lot together but he, like many other men it seems, gets these ideas like "Let's raffle off ____ at the wedding!" "What if our guestbook was the bumper of my race car?!" and I have to rein him in. No, we will not raffle anything off, and no parts of your race car will be present.

We have made all decisions together, though. I've pretty much been doing the ground work and research to narrow our vendors down, then we decide together. From the beginning he said he wants to have a big part in food and cake, and cares far less about flowers and decor but would help if I needed it.

I agree some of it is frustrating when we (the brides) are the ones shouldering all the work.. and then you ask them to help with one thing and they get SO stressed. Welcome to my life, babe. I wouldn't want my groom to be OVER involved/groomzilla, and I wouldn't want him to be indifferent to it, so I think there just has to be a balance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LDay2014LDay2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

Oh my god...FI would have a meltdown if I could pull that off!  He'd probably marry Patrick Stewart instead.

• Options
    LDay2014 said:

Oh my god...FI would have a meltdown if I could pull that off!  He'd probably marry Patrick Stewart instead.

Patrick Stewart is one of my "Hall Passes". I got the Hallmark ornament from last year of the Enterprise with the opening theme JUST so I could hear it whenever I want. Luckily, FI is totally okay with this. Especially since we spend Friday nights watching ST:TNG reruns on BBC America instead of going out. hehe
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Similar to Cookie Pusher, my groom desperately wants Mike Ditka to be our officiant. He won't let the idea die, even though we already hired an officiant. FI is a "very involved groom" to the extent that he needs to be. He's not proactive but gives opinions and makes decisions and completes tasks as he needs to. It's been a team effort. Please note, however, that we had a come-to-Jesus fight to get him to do anything more than say, "Whatever you want, babe". With his parents contributing half the budget, I had to tell him I was not responsible for spending his parents' money only to have him judge what I wanted. The first month of engagement wasn't pretty because of that, but now he's a partner. What I don't like is him pooh-poohing my ideas without offering anything more constructive. That just happened with the RD ideas- so when I replied, "Ok, so what, do you have a better idea?" It just so happened, he did have a better idea. Speak up, groom! Jeez! ETA: grammar, and paragraphs don't work.

• Options
    @thisismynickname HAHAH I had to laugh about Ditka. My dad played for the Packers and even my FI has joked that we should walk down the aisle to one of the various tunes associated with football. Ummmmmm NO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing ladies! Fi actually is a lot better at doing research than me and he usually is more creative than me for many things so i like that he doesnt have crazy ideas he actually wants a very classy event just like i do and he is concious about what needs to be done

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    Hahahaha when we were having trouble finding an officiant my FI kept insisting we should try to get David Tennant. I just kept saying yeah I'll get right on that. OMG! I just thought of this. I can tell you guys this. My FI is a huge Doctor Who fan so I'm surprising him by having a Tardis shaped grooms cake made. I can't tell anyone because we are all horrible secret keepers and I really want it to be a surprise.
    My FI is getting a Lego block grooms cake at the RD! I am SUPER excited
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We pretty much decide on everything together. I like a completely different invitation style than he does, but we found one we're both happy with. We like different music, but we agree on the songs on the do not play list.
    He was actually extremely shocked and surprised that I was having the flowers be his favorite color, he thought I would just get them in mine! He also was not expecting me to pick it as the color for the vests/ties.
    But ultimately he gets to pick the suit he wears, since i picked the dress I'm wearing.

We picked out the cake layers together as well.

So far I think we're doing a good job. But I feel bad because he's actually really tired of picking out stuff and having to meet vendors and all this for months on end. I am too, but it has to be done!
    I don't really love having to constantly hash out details and pick everything and make sure our checks are on time etc etc.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    Hahahaha when we were having trouble finding an officiant my FI kept insisting we should try to get David Tennant. I just kept saying yeah I'll get right on that. OMG! I just thought of this. I can tell you guys this. My FI is a huge Doctor Who fan so I'm surprising him by having a Tardis shaped grooms cake made. I can't tell anyone because we are all horrible secret keepers and I really want it to be a surprise.
    If David Tennant showed up at my wedding, FI might be in a bit of trouble - he's my "freebie"...
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards