Wedding Reception Forum

Which serving method is your preference?

firebabe6519firebabe6519 member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited January 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum

Which serving method is your preference? 90 votes

Individually Plated
34% 31 votes
Buffet
48% 44 votes
Family Style
16% 15 votes

Re: Which serving method is your preference?

• Love family style, it's like buffet but without having to wait for your turn to go up to the line. Also great for older guests that may not get around so well or if you have kids, for parents to plate a meal for their kids & themselves without making several trips.
  • I prefer buffet or family style b/c I am a picky eater. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    I prefer buffet or family style b/c I am a picky eater. 
    Me too!

• AddieL73 said:
    Me too!
    Me 3! And I love beef but hate chicken/turkey, so if they don't have beef I can get extra salad or sides. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AddieL73 said:
    Same here. We also have vegetarian friends, and for them it's much easier to not have to worry about meat that way.
  • I definitely prefer buffet. Family style is ok, but I've noticed that people try to be polite and not take as much as they want because everyone is right there watching them and nobody wants to eat any food that's left in the dishes because they don't want to take the last of anything. 
  • Buffet, because then I GET WUT I WANT.

Anniversary
  •  I prefer plated, don't mind buffet, and am not a fan of family style. We had plated for our wedding, with a vegetarian option for a couple of our guests that required no meat. I don't mind this, or buffet. I just personally think a plated meal is more formal between the two. I've been to a wedding once with a family style dinner, & did not prefer it at all. Lots of food was wasted, and the table was tight for room with the plates of food just sitting there. Some of it gets cold while you're working through your first plate, and it just made the table looked unorganized during dinner. I just found it was too casual. I've never been to a wedding with a bad buffet. It always seems to work well, & it's nice to have a few more options than you would with a plated dinner. 

I think no matter what you choose, there's always going to be someone with an opinion of what they'd prefer, if given the choice! 

*J
  • I'm a platted girl.  But I'm fine with the other options either. I'm not really a picky eater and well, as long as you feed me something appropriate for the time of day I go with the flow.  

DH flat out refuses to eat form a buffet.   As in he will not even pretend to get a plate of food and just continue to drink.   It's honestly the only thing he is really picky about.  Annoys me because I love sunday brunches, but he will not go to them.      (sorry, completely off topic).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I prefer plated, mainly because I hate having to wait in a line for food. 
  • I prefer family style since it's what I'm most used to. Traditional Chinese meals are served this way. I had never attended a wedding with plated meals until I went to my first non-family/family-friend wedding when I was in college.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I prefer plated, but it's just what I'm used to.  I don't like having to wait in a buffet line and plated feels more formal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• @lyndausvi - why does your H hate buffets?

• lyndausvi said:
    I'm a platted girl.  But I'm fine with the other options either. I'm not really a picky eater and well, as long as you feed me something appropriate for the time of day I go with the flow.  

DH flat out refuses to eat form a buffet.   As in he will not even pretend to get a plate of food and just continue to drink.   It's honestly the only thing he is really picky about.  Annoys me because I love sunday brunches, but he will not go to them.      (sorry, completely off topic).
    This broke my heart a little. Sunday brunches with bottomless mimosas have got to be one of the best things on this planet. 

Anyway, I like the formality of plated, but I don't mind either way really. As long as the food is good and served warm and quickly (and I've been served a cold plated meal a couple times), I'm basically indifferent. 
  • @lyndausvi - why does your H hate buffets?
    He has never really given me a real answer.  He's a fine dining exec chef who has been on tv, cooked for presidents and celebrities but loves dive restaurants and Taco Bell.  The hatred is not normal, nor logical.  His chef friends also are not fans (I do not know for sure if it's the same hatred).   

I often wonder if they know some inside information about them that we don't?  Whatever the case buffets are out as a dining option for the two of us.  Oddly, he creates some awesome buffets for Easter and Mother's Day which I get to attend because he is working.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I am a buffet girl because I am an uber picky eater. :(
    I have never attended a family style event so I can't speak to that. The idea of a duel entree plate coming to my table with evil, Satanic FISH would make me cry. Buffet is definitely my preference!
  • lyndausvi said:
    @lyndausvi - why does your H hate buffets?
    He has never really given me a real answer.  He's a fine dining exec chef who has been on tv, cooked for presidents and celebrities but loves dive restaurants and Taco Bell.  The hatred is not normal, nor logical.  His chef friends also are not fans (I do not know for sure if it's the same hatred).   

I often wonder if they know some inside information about them that we don't?  Whatever the case buffets are out as a dining option for the two of us.  Oddly, he creates some awesome buffets for Easter and Mother's Day which I get to attend because he is working.
    Oh God, if there's some horrible secret about buffets that's somehow worse than what they serve at Taco Bell, I don't wanna know. 
  • PDKH said:
    lyndausvi said:

Oh God, if there's some horrible secret about buffets that's somehow worse than what they serve at Taco Bell, I don't wanna know. 
    Ha, I know right?  I refuse to eat Taco Bell, it's gross.   

Everyone has their quirks and buffets is definitely DH's.   

• lyndausvi said:

PDKH said:

lyndausvi said:

Even high end Las Vegas buffets? I have heard that some of the Las Vegas buffets have some of the best food.

So weird that he won't give a reason though.

• All three options are okay, but I'd rather be able to eat my food without having to worry that I'm not leaving enough for the others at the reception in full or at my table.
  • PDKH said:
    lyndausvi said:

Even high end Las Vegas buffets? I have heard that some of the Las Vegas buffets have some of the best food. So weird that he won't give a reason though.
    He has claimed to eat at a high end Las Vegas buffet.  That was before my time though.

He does like freshly cooked foods.   As in pan to plate type eating. He rarely, if ever, eats leftovers.  Buffet food is often made a day or even days in advance, so that could be part of the issue?

I don't really know. Nor is is something that effects our day-to-day lives.  I just deal with it and go to buffets with other family or friends 1-2 times a year.

• As long as there is quality food and in an appropriate quantity I like them all.  There are pros and cons to each.

Not on your list, but something I really enjoyed was the one stations wedding I went to.  But again that was because it was all really good quality food.

• Most chefs don't eat at buffets because a lot of times, buffets are made using leftover food from the kitchen during the week.
    Unless they cook it before your eyes, or to order, a lot of the meats and things are leftovers. That's why they're usually cut up to put into omelets and things.

Obviously not every buffet is like this, and some are nicer than others. But in general, buffet food is also more mass produced, so it's not as great of quality of food as the cook to order type.
  • I prefer plated.  I've never attended a wedding with a buffet, it's always plated, but at least where I'm from there are between 4-10 options to choose from.  I know people sometimes shy away from plated due to lack of choice but I've never had that issue, and I don't eat fish and rarely eat meat.

I've been to a couple of buffets (showers, brunch at restaurants) and I'm not crazy about having to get up, wait in line, have the thing I like the most be almost gone, etc.  I'm not anti-buffet, I just much prefer plated.

• Plated or family style.

I hate buffets, I just think they are really dirty. I don't mind them as much if there is waiststaff serving everyone, but if everyone is touching the serving spoons it grosses me out. A lot. I have the same qualms about family style, but it is fewer people, and I probably know them, so the gross factor is way lower. It is also offset by being able to eat more of what I want and less of what I don't.
  • eileenrob said:

I prefer plated.  I've never attended a wedding with a buffet, it's always plated, but at least where I'm from there are between 4-10 options to choose from.  I know people sometimes shy away from plated due to lack of choice but I've never had that issue, and I don't eat fish and rarely eat meat.

I've been to a couple of buffets (showers, brunch at restaurants) and I'm not crazy about having to get up, wait in line, have the thing I like the most be almost gone, etc.  I'm not anti-buffet, I just much prefer plated.

Wow 4-10 options! I've never seen more than 4 choices at any wedding I've been to. And the venues I looked at all were 2 entrees plus a vegetarian. 

If it's a high end venue, they should replenish the buffet when things are almost gone. There is no reason that you shouldn't get any of something.  I think it depends more on the caterer not the fact that it's a buffet.

I hate buffets, I just think they are really dirty. I don't mind them as much if there is waiststaff serving everyone, but if everyone is touching the serving spoons it grosses me out. A lot. I have the same qualms about family style, but it is fewer people, and I probably know them, so the gross factor is way lower. It is also offset by being able to eat more of what I want and less of what I don't.
    This is my issue with buffets.  If you are going to do a buffet, I strongly recommend doing it with staff serving the food, or with stations.  

I will not set foot in a buffet restaurant or go to a brunch buffet.  It's bad enough if the other people touching the dishes and food are people I know at a wedding, but I do not want to touch the serving spoon after some stranger that might have just scratched his ass or picked his nose without washing his hands.  I've also seen people actually touch the food with their hands in a buffet line.  My sister thinks I'm a snob, but Golden Corral is my personal hell.  
  • I prefer buffet with waitstaff to keep things sanitary.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is my issue with buffets.  If you are going to do a buffet, I strongly recommend doing it with staff serving the food, or with stations.  

I will not set foot in a buffet restaurant or go to a brunch buffet.  It's bad enough if the other people touching the dishes and food are people I know at a wedding, but I do not want to touch the serving spoon after some stranger that might have just scratched his ass or picked his nose without washing his hands.  I've also seen people actually touch the food with their hands in a buffet line.  My sister thinks I'm a snob, but Golden Corral is my personal hell.  

I agree.  My mom has sort of passed down her germophobe ways to me and I do avoid buffets at all costs (especially when you see unsupervised kids there).  I don't think I even thought about the aspect of the gross germs on the spoons, though.  You just made my phobia worse!

And as for Golden Corral...that place is all kinds of wrong on many levels, not just the buffet aspect.  An old boyfriend used to manage one and it's all mostly frozen foods.  I can make frozen foods at home and not worry about germs, etc.

• buffet or plated 

buffet because you can have more combinations of food and you are not "forcing" people to eat a certain thing.

I an conflicted as to which I want. I would prefer buffet but I am unsure whether that would be appropriate for a very formal wedding

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards