Snarky Brides
Options

S/O: What is the rudest comment someone has made about your wedding?

Re: S/O: What is the rudest comment someone has made about your wedding?

• Options
    @HisGirlFriday13  Sounds like she's really got a thing against Catholics... geez... 

I haven't had any real doozies (yet), but "We're in your bridal party, right?!" comes to mind (courtesy of two VERY estranged high school 'friends')...  

Give me strength!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    @HisGirlFriday13  Sounds like she's really got a thing against Catholics... geez... 

I haven't had any real doozies (yet), but "We're in your bridal party, right?!" comes to mind (courtesy of two VERY estranged high school 'friends')...  

Give me strength!!

I had a number of friends say that when FI and I weren't even engaged yet. I finally had to say "hey friends, my family is basically estranged from me completely. If you guys don't sit on my side, there will be nobody there." Then they were more than happy to be my "cheerleading section".
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options

Give me strength!!

@Marzipan13 -- she has an old-school hatred of Catholics (as in, doesn't understand why 'Papists' is a derogatory term), but doesn't really understand WHY she doesn't like them. Mostly, she hates me not for who I am, but because I married into her family. She hated her daughter's husband for as long as he was alive (and still hates him now, 20+ years after his death), she hates DH's brother's fiancee, etc. It's just how she is. If it weren't my Catholicism, she'd find something else to bitch about. She's just like that.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    mcgarci2 said:
    I just remembered another thing that my mother asked me that wasn't rude, just wasn't sure how to answer such a question.

"So, you're going to leave towards the end of the reception and go to your hotel room? What are you going to do in there???"

This was on Facetime so I just gave her a blank look.  The only thing I could come up with was, "I don't know! Watch TV?"
    Haha! Pretty much same exchange between my friend and her dad. He didn't get why she wanted to have the reception be over so early. 
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    mcgarci2 said:
    I just remembered another thing that my mother asked me that wasn't rude, just wasn't sure how to answer such a question.

"So, you're going to leave towards the end of the reception and go to your hotel room? What are you going to do in there???"

This was on Facetime so I just gave her a blank look.  The only thing I could come up with was, "I don't know! Watch TV?"
    Haha! Pretty much same exchange between my friend and her dad. He didn't get why she wanted to have the reception be over so early. 

little bit of a jack here....We are having a morning wedding and lunch reception before going to our hotel. We have reservations with the swanky restaurant at same hotel for dinner privately together that night. A friend of mine is giving a speech and (while I know she'll be appropriate) because I know who she is, when she started talking about how she's going to plan this great speech, I reminded her there was a 4 hour gap between the end of the reception and the start of our reservations- plenty of time to "deal with her" dispose of evidence, and make it back in time to change before our reservation. She thought that was hysterical.
  • Options

Give me strength!!

@Marzipan13 -- she has an old-school hatred of Catholics (as in, doesn't understand why 'Papists' is a derogatory term), but doesn't really understand WHY she doesn't like them. Mostly, she hates me not for who I am, but because I married into her family. She hated her daughter's husband for as long as he was alive (and still hates him now, 20+ years after his death), she hates DH's brother's fiancee, etc. It's just how she is. If it weren't my Catholicism, she'd find something else to bitch about. She's just like that.

Is she Irish? Ya know the whole...the orange and the green thing?
  • Options
    @MrsDeRuyter87: Nope, she's German. She's basically just mean and spiteful and hateful.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I wonder if she's a direct descendant of Martin Luther....
    eyeroll
  • Options

'Some of the guests might wonder why you didn't marry someone in your professional field that makes more money.' - to remain nameless (btw my FI is a mechanic)

I've gotten that a few times too. I suspect my mom's protected me from a bunch of those comments as well. He's not a mechanic anymore but I'm still in a much more lucrative field. And neither of us cares :)

• Options
    I've been told:

"You're too old for bridesmaids"- I'll be 35 and he'll be 38.
    "Flower girls are too fussy for a second marriage"- his second, my first. Plus, our nieces are too cute not to include!
    "You're too old to wear white"

And my personal favorite: "the bridesmaids have to match or the wedding will look trashy."

I told them all black dresses and agree to long or short. We'll have 4 girls: 2 are tight on money and 1 has been in tons of weddings and is so tall that she needs everything custom. I told them that it would be nice if they dressed similarly but I really just want them to feel beautiful- and not waste money on dresses they'll never wear again. Particularly my FSIL who is about to start grad school. I don't see how that's bad!
  • Options

Give me strength!!

Is she Irish? Ya know the whole...the orange and the green thing?
    I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at this...see, Dad is old school Irish Roman Catholic....went to Holy Cross...in the 60s.......Mom is Irish Protestant. My half sibs were brought up Catholic. My nieces are being brought up Catholic....I was confirmed into the Episcopal (Anglican) Church my mom and I attended. I'm now the "heathen" godmother to my younger niece. 

I can smile now, but I did have a paternal great auntie who lost a lot of her memory towards the end (much like my paternal grandmother) who did not remember precisely who I was, but as a child, would mutter about the "godless little heretic child" whenever I was around. Luckily, I was too young to fully understand what she was saying.
  • Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

Damn, that sucks.  My FI and I are from two Catholic families, and - although we're not getting any hate from anyone - we know both of our grandmothers would be PIIIIIISSED if we weren't marrying another Catholic, haha

(Edited: quote box wasn't working)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "We're trying to figure out if we can come to your wedding, since we have A LOT of other weddings to go to this summer." --One of my best friends (and her partner)

My wedding is in October.

I'm not sure if this is up there with the rudest of the rude, but it definitely hurt my feelings.
  • Options
    @peachy0722 :C That would hurt my feelings too. I mean if it was "I don't think we can get vacation time, we are so sorry" that's one thing, but saying it that way makes it sound like you're low on her priority list and that stinks.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    peachy0722peachy0722 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Inkdancer said:
    @peachy0722 :C That would hurt my feelings too. I mean if it was "I don't think we can get vacation time, we are so sorry" that's one thing, but saying it that way makes it sound like you're low on her priority list and that stinks.
    My thoughts exactly! Haha I even said to her, "but my wedding is in October...?"

Crickets.

So yes, obviously she would have used up vacation time by that point. But she doesn't have to say it like that.
  • Options
    'Some of the guests might wonder why you didn't marry someone in your professional field that makes more money.' - to remain nameless (btw my FI is a mechanic)

I've gotten that a few times too. I suspect my mom's protected me from a bunch of those comments as well. He's not a mechanic anymore but I'm still in a much more lucrative field. And neither of us cares :)
    I haven't gotten any of this, thankfully.  I was a little afraid I would.  My H is a mechanic as well - he has a certificate from a community and technical college. I'm graduating with my bachelor's in May.
  • Options

I haven't gotten any of this, thankfully.  I was a little afraid I would.  My H is a mechanic as well - he has a certificate from a community and technical college. I'm graduating with my bachelor's in May.

Wow! That is terrible. My first husband worked for the same company as me, but his area of expertise makes less than mine at the same paygrade (he was in finance, I'm an engineer) I can't imagine anyone thinking I should not have married him because of that, but as it turned out, HE was the one who actually had an issue with it!!! Yet another reason why I got divorced.

• Options

Ugggg!!! Coming from someone who is marrying someone in their field, it sucks! When you have two planners in the house, live in a small town its enviable that he's going to end up either being my boss or we will be working against each other (one in Government, the other in private contracts) 

@peachy0722 I feel the same way, If you can't come since you have to many other weddings to go to then why am I even inviting you? People are Jerk-butts

• Options
    Mine have all been to do with my tattoos. And I've had loads of rude comments about them. These are my favourites:
    "Please tell me you are going to cover up all those horrible tattoos; they'll look ridiculous with your dress," - My grandmother
    "Are you going to have your tattoos lasered off now that you are almost a married woman?" - My other grandmother
    "Oh, I assumed you'd be wearing full sleeves. That (I've got lace half-sleeves on my dress, and full sleeve tattoos) looks odd. I really think you should get it altered." My aunt.
    "You are going to look an odd pair up there, you covered in tattoos and Blake (my FI) having none. Have you considered covering them up?" The first wedding planner we hired. She was immediately fired.
    There are lots more, but basically they are all different people saying the same things.

• Options
    Yea I was going to say paid professionals have no business stating their personal opinions on your body choices and how you intend to show then off.
  • Options
    I've got a rude comment to add to the list.

This came from my mother, in the very early preliminary days of planning- probably 7-10 days after we got engaged. We were discussing guest lists and head counts. My mother wanted it to split completely even, down the middle, with the same number of family and friends for each of us. When counting the number people in the "friends" column, my mother said....

"Now, how many of those people are actually YOUR friends?" "Mom, we've been dating for 11 years, there are a lot of couples here that are friends of both of us..." "Well when you get divorced, who's friend will they be THEN?" 

....WHEN we get divorced? Gee Mom. Thanks. 11 years of dating, we finally are getting married, and you're looking ahead to the divorce? Thanks for the vote of confidence. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @GinnaN  Being an inked woman myself, I feel your pain and share in your joy of screwin' 'em.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jalyndani said:

I've got a rude comment to add to the list.

This came from my mother, in the very early preliminary days of planning- probably 7-10 days after we got engaged. We were discussing guest lists and head counts. My mother wanted it to split completely even, down the middle, with the same number of family and friends for each of us. When counting the number people in the "friends" column, my mother said....

"Now, how many of those people are actually YOUR friends?" "Mom, we've been dating for 11 years, there are a lot of couples here that are friends of both of us..." "Well when you get divorced, who's friend will they be THEN?" 

....WHEN we get divorced? Gee Mom. Thanks. 11 years of dating, we finally are getting married, and you're looking ahead to the divorce? Thanks for the vote of confidence. 
    Euch! That would ruffle my feathers too! Not trying to be nosy but are your parents divorced? It sounds like your moms talking out of her own bitterness. Still I hate it when people make poor choices and then assume I'm doing the same.
  • Options
    Amyzen83Amyzen83 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary
    edited February 2014

@GinnaN  Being an inked woman myself, I feel your pain and share in your joy of screwin' 'em.

Btw I think tats are cool! I'm thinking of getting one on my shoulder before the big day but I'd prob either have to do it soon or after the wedding and honeymoon... If I do get inked before the big day is definately rock it at my wedding
  • Options
    Most of my bridesmaids have back tattoos. I really want one but the piece I want will be too expensive to do before the wedding. My ankle tattoo wont show at the wedding :( I am not afraid to say I am envious of those that have body art to show. I truly dont care what FIs consevative Uncle and Aunt will say about my girls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards