Wedding Reception Forum

First Dance Songs for conflicting music tastes?

angiecelinaangiecelina member
First Comment
edited January 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
Me and my fiance have never dedicated a song to one another so finding a first dance song has been rough. I like punk/misc. rock music and he likes it too but mostly likes rap and R&B type music so this has been a struggle. I am in LOVE with Smother Me by The Used but he has never liked The Used so he doesn't feel a connection to that song the way I do. 

Any song ideas out there? Anything but country please :) I'm happy to meet a middle ground with an R&B song too! :) 

Re: First Dance Songs for conflicting music tastes?

• Sorry, we used a country song.  However, it was not a song either one of had dedicated to the other (we've never done that either).  It was a song that we both like and described our relationship.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What do you mean, dedicated a song to each other?  Is that something people do?

It depends what you want the mood of the first dance to be.  Fi and I both normally like pop/rock, but it's hard to do a first dance to a rock song.  So, we might have chosen "Into You" by Paramore or "First Date" by Blink182.  Except neither of those is really right for a first dance.

We'll be using "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• angiecelinaangiecelina member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
  • What do you mean, dedicated a song to each other?  Is that something people do?

It depends what you want the mood of the first dance to be.  Fi and I both normally like pop/rock, but it's hard to do a first dance to a rock song.  So, we might have chosen "Into You" by Paramore or "First Date" by Blink182.  Except neither of those is really right for a first dance.

We'll be using "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat.
    Yes, people dedicate songs to each other lol. I have always thought it was cheesy so we've never done it. I have the same issue though. The taste of music I like is faster but there are slow songs out there that artists I like make (such as the one I mentioned) but it's not likely. Lucky is a good song though! Just not right for us. Thanks for the response :)
  •  My husband loves rock/pop/metal etc. I like mostly country/some pop, but definitely not his styles of music, for the most part. We ended up going with a song that we both liked, and described our relationship as well. It ended up being a country song, but when we heard it, we knew it was for us! Basically I found a bunch I thought may be good, and he did the same. We brought them together, listened to them all, & when we heard it together, we knew! :)

Good luck!

*J
  • People do dedicate songs to each other sometimes-you can turn on any music radio station and if you're on long enough, some caller will ask for a specific song dedicated to someone else.

I'm not sure what I would suggest for your particular case though.  You and he could each make out a list of your favorite music and then check off on each list which songs you like.  Then you can make your decision from among the checked-off songs.  The songs in question may not be your specific "favorites," but this might help you find something you can compromise on.
  • Our song is "we found Love" by Rhianna.

What about....
    "No Air" --Chris Brown.
    "Back At One" --Brian McKnight
    "No One Else Comes Close" --Joe
    "All My Life" -- K-Ci & JoJo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards