Snarky Brides
Options

Oh lordy...

Snarky brides are also known for their brutal etiquette honesty, right?

The March 2014 board has a "vent" by a bride who went to the NJ board...and apparently got it handed to her by brides when she told them there's a 4 hour gap between her ceremony and reception. Allegedly, she told these brides she'd tried to have some sort of hospitality room or something set up at her reception venue, but there's already an ongoing wedding at that time, so she's stuck.

What gets me is that during this 4 hour gap, she and her new husband, bridal party and family will be going to a bowling alley for photos, drinks and FREE BOWLING. You read that right- 4 hour gap and they're bowling. No indication if that was decided BEFORE or AFTER they made the arrangements for the ceremony and reception.

I responded as politely as I could, but would someone read my comment to make sure I'm wording this as best as possible? I've copied the whole thing below, but took out her username. The bolded was added by me.

Thanks.

OP:  So, I don't go over to the NJ board that often, unless I absolutely have to get information from them.  I popped over there the other day to ask for help filling in my 4 hour gap for my guests before our evening reception and got ripped a new one.  I just don't understand how they can rip you a new one when they don't even know you.  I clearly (or so I thought) explained I had tried everything to shorten the gap but was unsuccessful.  Not to mention I tried to get a hospitality suite so guests had something to do before cocktail hour, but that couldn't be done because there is a wedding going on before my reception, so the rooms I would want to use will be used by them (they booked an extra meeting room for a kids babysitting room/activity room so the kids have something "kiddy" to do.  Which I think is great.  (I didn't tell them about the kiddy room because it wasn't necessary).  I've tried everything and can't do anything to help the gap.  After the ceremony we're going to our local bar/bowling alley (same place as our rehearsal dinner) for pictures, drinks and Free Bowling (as of last night).  We are going to invite those that want to do something before checking in to the hotel (which is 30-45 minutes from the church) to join us, but who knows who will actually come with us.  

I just can't believe they'd be so rude/nasty.  I actually started crying because they were being so nasty.  I'm appalled.  It hurts to think that they can't read and understand.  As my FI says - they have computer muscles.  Since they don't know you IRL they can bash you all from the safety of being in front of their computer screen.  Talk about cyber bullying.  

Argh.  37 days from my wedding and now I feel bad for not having something nice for guests to do between the ceremony and reception. :(

Chipmunk:

I'm sorry, but I can't justify your post. Mainly due to the bolded. A four hour gap IS huge, and rude to your guests. I don't have all the details here, ( ie, what time is the ceremony, what time is the reception, how exactly you tried to shorten the gap), but 4 hours for pictures that don't include ceremony AND reception is a bit much. The fact that you're making your guests wait at loose ends so you can not only take pictures, but ALSO have drinks AND play a few games of bowling is very rude, a poor treatment of your guests, and a poor reflection on you and your husband to be.

This isn't bullying, this is etiquette honesty. As I said, I don't know what exactly was said by the NJ bride board; if they called you nasty names, that's bullying. If they said it's rude for you to pull this stunt and leave your guests hanging, that's not bullying, that's honest advice and commentary.

My friend covered her gap between a 3 pm ceremony (ended at 4:30) and a 6:30 reception by having a tea party/mini reception in the church fellowship hall. Have you talked to your church about having some drinks and refreshments in the hall for guests?

Re: Oh lordy...

• Options
    You were nicer than I would have been.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So nice. Go ahead.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    She's still justifying it on the March 2014 board...ceremony's over at 2, church pictures till 2:30, 20 mins to get to the bowling alley, leave there by 4:30, take 45 mins to get to reception venue, plans to get there by 5:30, check in, and start cocktail hour at 6. Claims this isn't too long of a gap. Perhaps not for her, but for everyone else, yes it is!
  • Options
    You're being honest, not rude at all. This womamn sounds strange. Who would go off and go bowling/take pictures for 4 hours while your guests hang around doing nothing?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I'm starting to smell a speschul snowflakey.

I've responded again that while the gap might not seem long to her, given all that she's doing, it's still approximately 45 mins from the ceremony site to the reception venue (according to her) so that still leaves guests in the lurch for 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Apparently, the church hall is being used for some other event during the gap period. She hasn't detailed what else she tried, but another gal suggested she try to move the ceremony back- i concurred.

Seriously, did she book the ceremony and reception sites a while ago and then a week or so ago start thinking "oh, maybe I should have something for everyone else to do while I bowl"? I have no idea.

• Options
    I've been keeping tabs on that thread, and haven't been able to stop banging my head long enough to respond. Here I am frantically writing and re-writing my wedding ceremony so I can time it perfectly to not have a gap!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

For the Record:

FI and I are doing photos immediately after the ceremony.

Ceremony and reception are at same place, and cocktails and food will be on the verandah of the country club, 100 ft away.

We are doing the family shots first, so our parents, grand parents, aunts uncles etc can all go enjoy the yumminess. THEN we'll do a few B&G shots.

Our photographer knows that this is one hour, and that we're not making everyone wait for us. So do our parents. Honestly, there aren't a ton of posed photos I want anyway

• Options
    @ Cookie, do you mean you've been watching the thread on March 2014, or the NJ board? I'd LOVE to see what the NJ gals had to say to this...
  • Options
    I looked at both threads (NJ and March 2014) and they were not rude at all, in my opinion. It was a hilarious thread, though.

• Options
    kelly, please please please pm me the nj link!
  • Options

She's getting snippier. Below is the link to her post, along with my latest response.

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1010557/omg-i-just-got-ripped-a-new-one-vent#latest

OP, I've now seen the NJ posting.

They were not nasty, rude, or bullying. They told you what a horrible idea it was to have a 4 hour gap, and urged you to make alternative arrangements. The ones who agreed with you decried this idea, claiming that since it's "your day" you can do whatever you want. It might be your day, the focus might be on the two of you, but that doesn't give you license to be self centeredly rude to your guests. Think about it- would YOU want to have to stand around in heels for 4 hours, or find some way to pass the time, just because someone else decided they would leave you hanging, justifying it by "oh well, its my day"? Would you want your grandmother to have to be standing around for 4 hours in that position? Additionally, do you really think your guests will be up for bowling in their nice church/wedding reception attire?

If I had been in your position, and the location for the reception could not work with the ceremony time, I would have made arrangments for a reception elsewhere who could. How far out did you plan this? Did you arrange the ceremony and reception, then wait a few months before thinking of something to arrange for the 4 hour time frame, only to realize that everything is booked up? This is something that should have been addressed as soon as you had the ceremony and reception times and realized the length of time in between.

As to your dig against etiquette- you "go by it" every time you say please and  thank you, send a thank you note, respond to an invitation in a timely fashion, and make polite conversation. I suggest you visit the etiquette board. I also recommend you check out the website Etiquette Hell, if you truly think no one goes by it anymore.

Etiquette isn't dead, etiquette is the observance of the formal requirements governing behavior in polite society. Leaving your guests with nothing to do for four hours while you take pictures and go bowling in your wedding dress is rude and breaks etiquette badly. Getting defensive does not put you in the right on this.

• Options
    Chipmunk, you are a better person then me.

Anniversary
  • Options

I've started getting snarky...her last response to me said it was a "mute" point.....part of my response to that...

"Are all of your guests aware of these options? did you include it on the invitations, call/email each and every one of them, or are you spreading it by word of mouth and hoping everyone finds out? Unless you have made sure that all are aware of their choices, it is not a moot point, and guests may not be mute about it."

• Options
    there is a lot of "IT'S MY DAY" going on over there. FTR, we are full Catholic mass, in a church at 3pm. Our reception is starting right away. Doesn't seem that difficult.

And even if gaps are "the norm" for Catholic weddings (they aren't), doesn't make it less rude. I once sat in a sports bar all afternoon during a gap and it sucked.
  • Options

I've been watching it on the Jersey board, and just rolling my eyes so hard that I thought they were going to fall out fo my head!

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Sigh.  I should know better but I replied.  Couldn't help myself after one dummy went off about how it's HER DAY and the reception is for HER.  HER do you hear me??!!  
  • Options
    I recognize the poster name, I don't think the gap is going to be the only problem

• Options
    I just can't. I can't even read anymore. You tried, several times to offer advice. She really just wants validation for her rude behavior. And really? Bowling, in your wedding dress? That just screams class. (Sorry, I am getting a migraine and extra snarky today.)
  • Options
    The original thread just keeps getting worse and worse. I have no idea why she even bothered posting when all she's saying is there's nothing she can do to eliminate the gap. And that it's HER day and too bad if anyone doesn't like it.

Here's the original thread if anyone wants to get a headache: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1009825/help-me-fill-in-our-4-hour-gap/p1
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Looking at her wedding registry I'm not surprised by the super special snowflake behavior...I don't usually creep the registries of people I don't know, but it was too tempting between her screen name and her signature.  All I'll say is...$100 picture frame.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this: those two threads were great entertainment to read through for the last 20 minutes! 

• Options
    Looking at her wedding registry I'm not surprised by the super special snowflake behavior...I don't usually creep the registries of people I don't know, but it was too tempting between her screen name and her signature.  All I'll say is...$100 picture frame.
    Where did you find that? I'm a bit curious.

I browsed through her previous posts and she seems like a total bridezilla. She flipped because her FMIL is wear a cream colored dress. 

• Options
    Im an NJ bride and I frequent the board and had to chime in earlier today. Who can give her advice other than host something appropriate for people in cocktail attire? I refused to 'offer things to do' because I couldn't imagine telling my guests, 'oh here's some malls, parks, etc for you to pass the time? No, no, no. And nothing was 'nasty' or rude. The comments by all posters (from what I saw) were honest.

@Chipmunk45 Your response was VERY nice and you offered a fantastic option. Unfortunately it seems disagreeing is now the new bullying.

• Options
    Where did you find that? I'm a bit curious.

I browsed through her previous posts and she seems like a total bridezilla. She flipped because her FMIL is wear a cream colored dress. 
    Her signature has her FI's first name, her SN has her FI's last name. Google it and their TK page comes up. Not that I looked after @TheFutureMrsRohlman22 pointed it out or anything......
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Wow...someone really likes Waterford...
  • Options

1) I'm dying at the fact she registered for the same waterford at both Macy's and BBB. Plus the fact that no one is buying it, they're all going for cheaper options.

2) In my family (Irish) it's tradition to give the bride and groom fine crystal, both for engagement and wedding. FI and I received a beautiful waterford bowl from my folks for engagement, as did Brother...Sis and her husband got 12 matching wine goblets in the Love millenial pattern. FI and I gave his brother and FSIL a crystal vase amongst Christmas gifts, and I explained the tradition. FSIL was giddy, turned to FBIL and said "WE GOT CRYSTAL! ITS OFFICIAL WE HAVE TO GET MARRIED NOW! CRYSTAL!!!" It was awesome. Bought friend a few years back the crystal vase his bride registerd for.

With my family background of a shitload of crystal and waterford, for me to say "Damn, that's a lot of Waterford"....well, that's saying something.

Side note: tradition in my family also suggests that if you are close to the person, you also buy the groom some whiskey. The original idea was buy the bride some fine crystal with which to serve her guests during her first year hostessing as a married woman, and give the groom some booze for when the honeymoon ends. That friend of mine had been dying to try Johnny Walker  Blue Label- guess what they got along with the vase? I've photos they staged where she's in her gown waiting for him, and he's on his knees, back to her, looking up at the bottle. She's an awesome gal to take that photo, but I love it!

• Options
    @Chipmunk415, you're a girl after my own heart! I love Irish crystal and my mother started me on some Lismore before I was even engaged to DH. It bummed me a bit to register for Riedel instead but we knew it was a more affordable option for our guests. I really want a good decanter and some day DH is getting a nice bottle of Middleton. As the granddaughter of a man born in Sligo, it needs to be Catholic whiskey!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards