Snarky Brides
Options

Oh lordy...

2»

Re: Oh lordy...

• Options
    @banana, you and I might be related...my great grandparents came over on the boats from all over Ireland, but I have a great grandfather from Sligo! (and relatives from Cork, Limerick, Dublin....) we need to compare family trees! Like you, I have dark curling hair, and fair skin, though every child in my family (save for nieces) are born blonde. Can't tell from your photos, but I've got the blue eyes too!
  • Options

FI and I have purposely not gone to Ireland yet. Because I will buy all the crystal. ALL OF IT. (And drink all the whiskey, for that matter!)

~*~*~*~*~

• Options

Cookie, I spent 7 days in Ireland when I was 20. Didn't get to the original Waterford factory (boo) but DID get to the Jameson Distillery in Middleton, and got certified as an Irish Whiskey Taste Tester (I recommend it).

Word of warning, just about every hotel has a bar attached to it (not just the hotel bar, I mean a pub/bar seperate from the hotel's operations, on the same premises). You will be drunk. A Lot.

In Galway, there's a bar sponsored and run by Bacardi called Bar One. You know, in case you need to add a little rum to the whiskey. For variety.

• Options
    We absolutely plan on visiting the Jameson Distillery, as well as doing all of the Guinness stuff and will most likely try to get over to Bunratty to see if their mead is as tasty as the local one we're getting for the wedding. I'm not much of a beer drinker (other than Guinness), but I can drink my weight in whiskey. Poor FI (who will be DH by then, I'm sure) is going make sure he can keep up with the little Asian girl while in the land of his people! heh
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Looking at her wedding registry I'm not surprised by the super special snowflake behavior...I don't usually creep the registries of people I don't know, but it was too tempting between her screen name and her signature.  All I'll say is...$100 picture frame.
    Where did you find that? I'm a bit curious.

I browsed through her previous posts and she seems like a total bridezilla. She flipped because her FMIL is wear a cream colored dress. 
    Her signature has her FI's first name, her SN has her FI's last name. Google it and their TK page comes up. Not that I looked after @TheFutureMrsRohlman22 pointed it out or anything......
    Thanks for responding Cookie!  I had to go home early from work yesterday (which I've only done once before) for a bout of food poisoning so I couldn't get back on TK.  Once you have a full name it's really easy to google for registries even if they don't have a wedding website that specifically lists it.

My engagement gift from my grandmother was a Waterford ring holder.  It is glorious.  I now have the sudden urge to troll Ireland for whiskey...
  • Options
    I'm amused at how she thinks it's okay to just tell people after the ceremony about the bowling (because she doesn't want to go into debt to send notices to her guests and it doesn't seem she can be assed to call or email them with the information). But so far it's just her immediate family who has RSVP'd that they are going to the ceremony so it's no big deal. Did she ever consider that a lot of people are opting not to attend her ceremony because they don't want to deal with the 4 hour gap? Ugh, it's amazing how oblivious some people are.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I went to a wedding like this. There was a huge gap because first they took pics a ways away, then they went to the bar where they met, then 3 other bars. It was probably about a 3 hour gap. To make things worse, FI was in the wedding party and so I couldn't even hang out with him for that time, so all I could do was go to the hotel where the reception was at, get my room, and then hang out with other SOs in the same boat, except they knew each other and I didn't. RUDE. 

We will probably do some running around with the WP/whoever's up for it but we'll save it for after the reception. That stuff needs to be part of an after party, or after the rehearsal dinner, or the day after, or whatever. Not between the ceremony and reception, at least not if you want people to actually show up to both. 
  • Options
    That was a good response; perfect.

Here's what I'm hung up on (besides the obvious things):

BOWLING ALLEYS ARE SUPER FUN, BUT ALSO SUPER DISGUSTING.  HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO ONE?!  If there's food, you leave smelling like nachos and hot dogs.  If there's a bar, you leave smelling like cigarettes.  And everything is grimy!  The balls, the shoes, the carpet, the scorekeeper... WHY WOULD YOU TAKE YOUR PRETTIED-UP-ASS IN THERE (especially if you're wearing a white dress!) AND FLOUNCE AROUND, BOWLING?!

This is a bad idea, even besides the obvious rudeness of it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I can't imagine somebody taking a 4-hour gap between their wedding and their reception.  I would have to say I would choose to go to one, and not the other.  Doesn't seem like that would bother this bride though. 

• Options
    I freakin hate weddings like this. FI and I went to 2-4 hr gaps last summer. For one we went to a bar and the other we ate at Arby's and took a nap at our hotel room. After reading this I'm happy at least those gaps were for pictures not bowling!!!

I agree with PP's on the bar thing too. I'm ok if BP stops and has a drink- whatev. More than that is excessive, Don't make all your guests wait 2 freaking hours to eat or for your dance to start because you had to go party without them
  • Options
    Ugh, I saw this on the NJ board.  What a train wreck.  Why ask for advice if you are just going to whine that there's nothing you can do?

Fi and I went to a wedding last year with a 3+ hour gap, not hosted.  We were about an hour from home and had nothing to do.  We ended up sitting at the bar of a Chicago Uno Pizzeria in our cocktail attire for three hours.  The reception was fine, but that gap just sucked away all the fun of the ceremony and we arrived at the reception totally annoyed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ok, sooooo I was winding down from a wacky day and stumbled upon this post...Well, of course, I poured a glass of wine and went in search of these boards...Found em'! Now, that I am all caught up, all I can say is holy crap. It absolutely astounded me with how many excuses there were for huge gaps in between the ceremonies and receptions. First off, I get the church is priority. Next would be a venue that WORKS with your times. If the reception's venue's availability doesn't match, then the venue doesn't work. Sucks, but move on and find something else. It also really irked me that so many brides blamed the long gap on the church and the church's time constraints. I grew up catholic and have been to/and been in several catholic ceremonies and never had more than an hour gap in between ceremony and reception. I'm not following on why this was so difficult. It sounds like, to me, that the venue is what was wanted and it didn't matter what kind of time frame it was in. The whole mentality of "It's my day. If they don't like it, don't come." is total BS. My mind is just boggled with how rude some people can be. 
  • Options
    To be fair, I considered having a wedding at Pinstripes, which has bocce ball and bowling. But it's super upscale and not grimy. That would be pretty fun, and no gap needed. 
  • Options

I went to a lakeside wedding once and there was about an hour and a half gap in between the ceremony and reception since they were both on the same patio. @FiancB- they had bocce ball, among many other lawn games and it was a blast! No one even realizd there was a gap while we waited for the reception area to be converted. I don't mind a gap if I can stay in the same place and there is something to do while waiting. Four hours is a long time,(especially for people who traveled) but if there are things for guests to do without leaving or going off alone, I am usually ok with that.

• Options
    My but that original thread makes one's eye's bleed. Once they've stopped rolling long enough, that is.

Some of the responses take the biscuit too. Like this gracious approach to hospitality. "The food/drinks of your wedding is already a huge investment. Don't go stuffing their faces more than you need to"

I admire your forbearance and reasoned responses, Chipmunk. I can't say it's a trick I could manage faced with such provocation!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards