Destination Weddings Discussions

Seeing Groom Day of Wedding

I am wondering if anyone is going to be spending the whole day with their groom. I think that fiance and I are going to be getting ready in the same room because the wedding is just the two of us. I have not picked my dress out but I plan on making him wait to see it until that day. The first time he sees it will still be a special moment. Anyone else doing this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seeing Groom Day of Wedding

• I did the same thing! Our wedding was just us, so we spent the night together, had breakfast together, and then our photographer arrived. She then separated us after talking to us about the plans for the day. I hung out at the reception area relaxing while he got dressed and she took his pics. When he was done, I went to the room and she took pics of me getting ready. We then had a first look moment- he was standing along the path to the beach and I walked up behind him, grabbed his arm, and the photographer captured him seeing me in my dress for the first time :)

• I am getting married at a Sandals resort. I wonder whether they will do this the same way. I have my first phone meeting with wedding planner May 1st, so I will add this to my list of questions. I am hoping to find a dress in which I need little assistance putting on. At first, I figured we would just be getting dressed in the same room together, but I like what you did getting dressed separately so that you still get to spend the day together but the reveal is still exciting. I see no reason to abstain from spending the day with him since it is our wedding and honeymoon combined.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We plan to stay together night before, so he will see me morning of wedding. But, we want the "first look" of me all done up to be when I'm walking down aisle. I won't let him see the dress at all until I'm walking down the aisle and he has no ideas or clues as to style of dress. We are doing cruise ship wedding, so I am getting hair & makeup done before boarding.  We are still deciding if it's worth trying to hide myself from him after that or not... it's not like he will see the "whole package" with dress an everything.  It will be a lot easier boarding and talking to the wedding coordinator and officiant if we are both there together (we don't talk to them or meet them until boarding ship right before wedding). They say that they will try to keep you separate if you want, and have us arrive about 15 minutes apart to board, but they can't guarantee anything. But, I know it would also be easier if we have all our boarding info, tickets, passports, etc. all in one place. Plus, I know I'm better at handling that stuff than he is. And arriving separately also means needed multiple trips to port.  So, most likely we will spend the whole morning together, up until we go get dressed... it just seems too complicated otherwise.

• We will more than likely stay together the night before, and then separate while getting ready. We will do a first look and a few pics together before the actual wedding ceremony, because it will give us more time for pics and not make our guests wait around while we do that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we live together so I will see him that morning, but told he has to be out of the house by 12:30.  I'm going to get hair/make up done at a salon and then coming back to my house to get ready and do pictures.  He needs to be gone before I am back.  I don't want him to see me again until I am coming down the aisle.  I'm not opposed to a first look, but it wouldn't work for our wedding since the ceremony is at a church and the photos are being take where our reception is. 
  • We are spending the night before together, then having breakfast and massages together the morning/day of. Then we'll split up to get ready and reconvene on the beach for the ceremony. Our resort offers the groom a room of his own free of charge the night before but it seems unnecessary and silly, especially for what we're paying for our travel, sleeping alone one night of vacation doesn't appeal to either of us. 
  • We are spending the night before together, then having breakfast and massages together the morning/day of. Then we'll split up to get ready and reconvene on the beach for the ceremony. Our resort offers the groom a room of his own free of charge the night before but it seems unnecessary and silly, especially for what we're paying for our travel, sleeping alone one night of vacation doesn't appeal to either of us. 
    No offense, but it would be silly to spend the night apart when you're already legally married...

No offense, but it would be silly to spend the night apart when you're already legally married...
    None taken, you don't mean anything to me so it would be pretty difficult for you to actually offend me. Spending a night apart on a very expensive vacation would be a stupid waste of money regardless of our legal status. Not sure how it has any bearing on what wedding traditions we do or do not follow anyway, but thanks for taking the time to type a completely useless comment @Jells2dot0
    None taken, you don't mean anything to me so it would be pretty difficult for you to actually offend me. Spending a night apart on a very expensive vacation would be a stupid waste of money regardless of our legal status. Not sure how it has any bearing on what wedding traditions we do or do not follow anyway, but thanks for taking the time to type a completely useless comment @Jells2dot0

You're welcome! Any time.

I do agree it's a waste of money. No doubt about that. I just think it's stupid to follow wedding traditions meant for actual brides and grooms if you're already husband and wife, regardless of the type of marriage celebration a person if having. I'd say the same thing to others.

You're welcome! Any time.

I do agree it's a waste of money. No doubt about that. I just think it's stupid to follow wedding traditions meant for actual brides and grooms if you're already husband and wife, regardless of the type of marriage celebration a person if having. I'd say the same thing to others.

You're welcome to your opinions. And you're within your rights to conduct yourself according to whatever traditions, wedding related or otherwise, you'd like to adhere to or not. But that has absolutely no bearing on what anyone else should, or will, do. And seeing as we view our upcoming ceremony and reception as our true wedding, wedding traditions are ours for the choosing. Personally, I think if a couple lives together prior to their wedding the whole who-sees-who-when is a little silly. But some couples like to do it, it harms no one at all and should be up to the individual couple. The OP asked what other people are doing, I can only answer for us and our reasons behind our decision.
  • We are spending the night together and having breakfast with everyone but then the girls and I will spend the day at the spa while the guys go golfing and meet up for the sunset ceremony. That is what works for us and I'm pretty happy with it. 
  • I will be seeing my husband to be on the day of the wedding too and am completely fine with that! It does seem ridiculous to spend the night apart when spending so much on the trip. And might I mention that my fiancé and I are also making it legal before going to PDC to get married and not at all do I feel like it will be taking away from our wedding day. We are literally signing papers beforehand, and that to me is not a wedding. Our wedding day in Mexico will be our WEDDING DAY and our anniversary in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards