Chit Chat
Options

I have no idea how to choose between these two applicants.

Re: I have no idea how to choose between these two applicants.

• Options

Aaaaaand J just sent me an awesome follow up letter, whereas T did not. Crapstick!
    What would their job entail?
    The job is mostly customer service, but also with some sales assisting and office management thrown in. 
  • Options

Aaaaaand J just sent me an awesome follow up letter, whereas T did not. Crapstick!
    The job is mostly customer service, but also with some sales assisting and office management thrown in. 
    In that case, they are not otherwise equal.

The grammatical component and followup would then make me respond to J more, then. Those are very important skills where someone is in a position to give an impression on the company.

Commute would fall below those things on a priority list.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options

In that case, they are not otherwise equal.

The grammatical component and followup would then make me respond to J more, then. Those are very important skills where someone is in a position to give an impression on the company.

Commute would fall below those things on a priority list.

This is too logical- didn't you like my wrestling idea?  I know HR would hate it, but. . .

Or how about a cupcake bake off?

Srsly, I am glad I don't have to hire people, I imagine it can be stressful.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm not saying it would have an impact on job performance. But driving from upstate NY to downstate NY - I've done it. And it's exhausting. She wouldn't be taking public transportation. She'd be driving in her own car. 
    But she knew what the commute would be when she applied.  So it seems like she is prepared to make that drive on a daily basis.  And just because you didn't like the commute doesn't mean that others mind it.

You should really talk to the owners that actually met the applicants and got a feel for them to get a better idea of what to do.
    I understand what you and PrettyGirlLost are saying.

However; OP and I both live in areas of extreme weather. Businesses do not shut down when the roads are bad. We are expected to commute in the snow because we have plows, salt trucks, sand and 4WD.  Commuting still is pretty awful in those cases for both employees and businesses.

Regardless of how willing someone is to commute on the normal days, there is still an impact when it snows. My husband called out on Wednesday for this reason. There were accidents all over the place, it was fairly unsafe for him to drive the 45 min path to get there.

I work with people who call out every time it snows. It means that someone else has to do the job for that person and it means that person is normally me. It also sucks for them because they use up all their vacation time and then are either taking unpaid days later on.

If you listen to people up our way or watch FB feeds on snowy days, it seriously takes a toll on people.

(edited a word error)

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    It is stressful!!! I'm checking out their reference now. 
  • Options
    Ahhhh! You guys!!! My co-worker suggested Googling their names. We don't really run background checks here. But I googled T. She was arrested in October for drugs. 
  • Options
    I'm not saying it would have an impact on job performance. But driving from upstate NY to downstate NY - I've done it. And it's exhausting. She wouldn't be taking public transportation. She'd be driving in her own car. 
    But she knew what the commute would be when she applied.  So it seems like she is prepared to make that drive on a daily basis.  And just because you didn't like the commute doesn't mean that others mind it.

You should really talk to the owners that actually met the applicants and got a feel for them to get a better idea of what to do.

However; OP and I both live in areas of extreme weather. Businesses do not shut down when the roads are bad. We are expected to commute in the snow because we have plows, salt trucks, sand and 4WD.  Commuting still is pretty awful in those cases for both employees and businesses.

Regardless of how willing someone is to commute on the normal days, there is still an impact when it snows. My husband called out on Wednesday for this reason. There were accidents all over the place, it was fairly unsafe for him to drive the 45 min path to get there.

I work with people who call out every time it snows. It means that someone else has to do the job for that person and it means that person is normally me. It also sucks for them because they use up all their vacation time and then are either taking unpaid days later on.

If you listen to people up our way or watch FB feeds on snowy days, it seriously takes a toll on people.

(edited a word error)

I can understand that.

I live in PA and what you are saying is true for us as well.  We might not get weather like Michigan, but we have had a shitty go of it this winter- especially on Weds, like you said- and no businesses close here due to bad weather except the elementary and high schools, which seem to close at the slightest drop of the mercury anyhow ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Ahhhh! You guys!!! My co-worker suggested Googling their names. We don't really run background checks here. But I googled T. She was arrested in October for drugs. 
    Are we talking marijuana or heroin here?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

Background checks are more official than Google.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Marijuana I wouldn't care about. She was arrested in a drug bust. Looks like cocaine and crack. 
  • Options
    Marijuana I wouldn't care about. She was arrested in a drug bust. Looks like cocaine and crack. 
    Oh, wow!

• Options
    It was a 6 month investigation into a family-organized cocaine distribution ring. Her mug shot is there too, along with her address. It's definitely her. 
  • Options
    Do you have any way to verify that it was her? I would hate to have a common name and have that be mistaken for me if it wasn't me!

• Options
    J looks better and better.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    It's definitely her. She has a very uncommon last name. And I looked at her mug shot. It was in the article. It's also the the exact address she has listed on her resume. God damn it! 
  • Options
    The drug bust would be a dealbreaker for me.  

• Options

ooooooooo shit.....probably part of why she's currently unemployed! Did you try a facebook stalk too? It's always good to see if someone is stupid enough to NOT have theirs set on private.

• Options
    Yikes. I mean, there's always the argument that she's trying to get her life back together, that she was coerced into it by her family, etc....
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yikes. I mean, there's always the argument that she's trying to get her life back together, that she was coerced into it by her family, etc....
    I know. Those thoughts are running through my head too. What if she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time? 

I stalked FB. I couldn't find T. I did find J. Nothing noteworthy. I could only see her profile pics. 
  • Options
    It was a 6 month investigation into a family-organized cocaine distribution ring. Her mug shot is there too, along with her address. It's definitely her. 
    Just wow.

• Options

This is super extra tough now. I'm leaning more towards J now. Although I do understand if T is trying to turn her life around and trying to do the right thing. Glad I'm not in your shoes right now!

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Ugh. I'm waiting on some references to call me back. T had one reference that was really good. J's reference was just OK. FML.
  • Options

(edited a word error)

I can understand that.

I live in PA and what you are saying is true for us as well.  We might not get weather like Michigan, but we have had a shitty go of it this winter- especially on Weds, like you said- and no businesses close here due to bad weather except the elementary and high schools, which seem to close at the slightest drop
    of the mercury anyhow ><

Same here. Schools and the government close but my job, which is dependent on government clients never shuts down and I am expected to be in even if it is shitty out. It sucks but I deal if it isn't that bad out but if it is snowing a foot or more I don't care how close I live to my office my butt is staying home because my safety is more important then work that can wait until tomorrow. And I typically watch the weather and if they are calling for a bad storm I take home my work and then work from home if need be.

• Options
    Ummm… yeah. If you hire T now, knowing that she was recently busted for drugs, it's your own fault if she does stupid/immoral/illegal shit on the job. Go with the other one.
  • Options
    It's not your obligation to give her a chance.

It's your obligation to fill a role to meaningfully support your position that is unlikely to be vacated in a reasonable time frame. 

I wouldn't hire someone with a recent criminal episode.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    It's not your obligation to give her a chance.

It's your obligation to fill a role to meaningfully support your position that is unlikely to be vacated in a reasonable time frame. 

I wouldn't hire someone with a recent criminal episode.
    That's a very good point. 
  • Options
    Look, you can certainly be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get arrested for something. If she was found guilty of a crime that is very different than being arrested for one.
  • Options

Go with J.

All things being considered, October 2013 was less than 6 months ago. If that's what T was into/doing, it has not been near enough time to get clean/sober.

J has also shown initiative by sending a follow-up note of thanks right away, and her grammatical skills were stronger. Also, she is motivated enough to leave her current job to work for your company. (Her reference might not be as strong because she didn't have from her current employer, FYI-they might adore her, but don't know she's looking elsewhere.)

As PPs have suggested, the commute between the two candidates is significant, but the overriding factor, IMO is this: both candidates are adults, and one of them has shown a lack of forethought with her drug arrest. Adults can figure out how to get to their job on time, or make arrangements in inclement weather. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In light of T's drugs charges and J's foloow-up note...go with J.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards