Not Engaged Yet

AW: Tried on MORE dresses (pic heavy)

2»

Re: AW: Tried on MORE dresses (pic heavy)

• I talked to FI's mom and showed her Dress #3 and she agreed that I don't need any coverage because it takes away from the dress.  My mom is just SUPER modest - the main reason I did the coverup for the pictures was because my mom said that she wasn't even looking at the dress - only how bare my top was (and then a few not-so-nice-comments about how my arms aren't flattering and I need to lose some weight).

IF I do decide to go with a cover-up it would be for ceremony only.

Anniversary
  • They're all gorgeous on you! 3,5,6 are my favorites!
    Anniversary

• I think #3 is beautiful on you, it's just a bit much for my taste. But it's about what you love!

Also, I'm sorry your mom made rude comments about your weight. You really don't need to hear that while your trying on wedding dresses! I think you look gorgeous in all of them!

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Your arms are FINE.

I'm insecure about my arms as well, but something I like to remind myself is that putting sleeves on my arms doesn't trick anyone (including myself) into thinking my arms are smaller. When I used to ALWAYS wear sleeves (even in the heat, even when I was wearing a cute top or sleeveless dress), I never felt all that good in my cute clothing. Now, when I remind myself, "Honey, the sleeves are not magic," I feel more confident about going sleeveless ... and suddenly my cute clothing looks BETTER for the same reason those dresses look better without the bolero. Because most of the cover-ups I was wearing were not meant to go with my cute tops/dresses, and therefore made them look less cute.

Dress #3 does look amazing on you. I was going to suggest that you look for something like #5 but more blingy, but I TOTALLY get you on feeling like you're wearing a dress that's too young for you. When I was trying on dresses, it was just to try on ones similar to the dress I knew I wanted to buy (no sample available). The second one was THIS one, since it was the same designer and the same neckline, and the same kind of super-blingy dress that I wasn't sure would look good on me. The dress looked great on me, and the sales reps were like, "Why don't you get this one? It looks amazing!" And it did look nice ... but I felt like the dress was too mature for me. And I'm not like a baby or something--I'm 27--but it really felt like it was a little too elegant and mature for me, like I was an elegant lady at a party. So I get that.

(unrelated: aaaaah, they make my dress in green now!! LINK)
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • personally I love number 5 but that's because I also had a lace dress!  I think number 3 looks fantastic on you as well and would be my personal #2 pick.  When you throw in the idea of Disney Wedding then it makes perfect sense. 

Poo on mom for making not nice comments on your arms!  I'm self conscious about my arms as well but I've found that trying to cover them up or "detract" from them in some way only serves to call attention to the spot you are trying to hide!  Try choosing a necklace and put in the veil when you go back.  Maybe your mom wont be so focused on "the bareness" if you have a look put together.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @phira, I want that dress in green!! I don't even know where I would wear it.
  • @KeptInStitches While washing dishes. To school. Drinks with friends. Seriously, if my dress weren't a little too small right now, I would be wearing it EVERY DAY. J would probably come home and be like, "Why are you dressed up AGAIN?"
    Anniversary
  • @phira I read an article in the local paper that this one lady has been married for 10 years - every anniversary she 'surprises' her husband by wearing her wedding dress - she's suprised him at dinner reservations, brought it on a cruise with them, showed up at his work wearing it -- everybody told her that she'd only wear the dress once so she wanted to prove it wrong so she's made it a tradition and she said she still loves her dress (she's had it altered after the fact too and joked around about buying another one because her's is getting a little beat up).

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100, that's such an awesome tradition. One of my friend's moms does something kinda-sorta similar (in that she wears the dress every year on their anniversary, that is). She and her husband just stay at home and have a candlelit dinner, and he wears a nice suit and she wears her wedding dress, and their kids take photos and get to see their parents all dolled up and in love like they were the day they got married. I just think it's an awesome and heartfelt tradition (and totally cool for her that after three kids and 20+ years the dress still fits EXACTLY the same! I gotta find out her secret, because she is PETITE).
  • @dignity100 @CLoGreenEyes I am totally going to do this.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards