Attire & Accessories Forum

mis-matched dresses

My bridesmaids are all different shapes and sizes. I want to make sure that they all feel beautiful and comfortable on the day of my wedding so I'm having some trouble finding something that fits for everyone. I am thinking about having them all pick out their own dress that they like with certain "guidelines" so that they all sort of match...i.e. gold/champagne color, sparkley (if they want...not required? but i love it), knee length. My 'inspiration' photo is attached. 

My question then would be...what's the best way to ensure that they all look good together? I live 450 miles away from them all so it's really tough to get home to go shopping with them all (as much fun as I truly think that would be :)  )....any advice or input?? 

Thank you very much!

Re: mis-matched dresses

• There are chain stores like David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo that can provide dresses in all sizes.  My daughter's bridesmaids all went to Alfred Angelo's.  They picked out three different dresses in varying shades of hydrangea blue.  It looked great.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I went to look at dresses with my MOH first.  I decided on a designer, color, fabric and length, and then gave my BMs free reign to choose a style.  I went with a designer carried by my local bridal shop, but you could easily do this with Alfred Angelo or David's, like pp suggested.  You could pick a designer carried in department store and do the same, like Donna Morgan (carried at Nordstrom's, Belk, Macy's, etc).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would decide what color/fabric you want, maybe pick a store as PPs suggested, then go from there.

For our wedding, I picked a dress that is literally a 'one-size-fits-all,' that can be wrapped and worn different ways so that everyone can add their own flare. And because it's so versatile, they'll be able to wear it again! 

http://www.mollygreenboutique.com/product/diva-wrap-dress/
  • I like that mis-matched look you posted. I've seen some that are just so differing that it doesn't look good, in my opinion... I think you just need to be very specific about what you do and don't want. While I wouldn't require it, say something, "I'd love to see a pic of the dress you're interested in buying when you go shopping!" in a way that they might run it by you before purchasing? Then again, if I were your BM, I'd do that anyway before buying it for your wedding to make sure you approved.
  • I'm a fan of the mismatched look if it's done well. I would send them this pic as inspiration, if that's the look you're going for.
  • i liked the mismatch look and am letting my girls each pick their own.  I gave them the color and length and they are each picking their own from there.  
  • why not pick some dresses from davids bridal pick the color and pick at least 12 dresses from them to choose from that way every maid has something they can wear.

most of my maids were out of state i took my local maids to the salon i got my dress at we picked out a style and color and everyone else loved it and put a deposit down

thats another option is to go to where you got your dress find a few styles from the same designer and ask your maids to try them on localy
  • For my BM I am doing a pick your style.  When I was out gown shopping I ran into the BM's dress section and picked the color and fabric...andded on an approximate length for them to find and said okay, you all live near a Davids Bridal so get X dress in Y fabric around z length.  I wanted them to find something that flattered their shapes and sizes without forcing an exact dress.

• I am having 3 BMs.  They are all wearing dresses from the Amsale line in silk chiffon, but different styles they picked out on their own, in 2 different shades of gray.  I told them to pick any silk chiffon dress from Amsale in either of those 2 colors.  Also my MOH chose a long dress and my other 2 BMs chose knee length.
  • you can either tell them to get any gold dress and be OK with the total randomness (like the pic you posted; it is random, but works) or you need to give them guidelines: Gold (supply a swatch for them) dress from Davids Bridal (or pick another chain like Alfred Angelo, etc). As PP suggested you could also pick certain styles for them to pick from if you are afraid of them clashing, but if you stick with the same designer/color that should not be an issue.

Anniversary
  • The mismached look can work as long as there is an even array of colors.  I.E. you don't want 3 BMs in nude champaigne and one in sparkly gold.

I had 7 BMs, and we went to Alfred Angelo and decided on a uniform fabric, shade, and length, and each BM picked her own dress.  I think they were pretty happy with their options.

If you want the dresses to semi-match, I  would definitely recommend pre-selecting the fabric and designer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I originally wanted my girls in all different dresses. I.e. get a cocktail length dress in any shade of pink. But, the more I thought about that, the less I liked the idea. Sure, it looks awesome in photos when the bridesmaids are gathered around the bride, but at the reception, they would probably look like regular wedding guests. For that reason, I picked a color, fabric and length at David's Bridal and told them to pick out what ever they liked. They all got great dresses that they look beautiful in and they will look different, but still obviously be part of the bridal party.
  • My girls also had very different body types. We chose two shades of coral, and ended up with 3 different dresses for four girls. This is my line up:

The longer one will be hemmed to the appropriate length, but all my girls are comfortable in their dresses and love the one they picked out. We went to David's Bridal and tried on different styles in the colors I wanted, and they picked from there. If they're going to pay for a dress, I'd rather it be one they like!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would decide what color/fabric you want, maybe pick a store as PPs suggested, then go from there.

For our wedding, I picked a dress that is literally a 'one-size-fits-all,' that can be wrapped and worn different ways so that everyone can add their own flare. And because it's so versatile, they'll be able to wear it again! 

I really hate these convertible dresses.  I don't know a single person on whom they've actually looked good.  Also, according to this website they're not actually one size fits all, they're one size fits MOST, size 2-18.

• Like others said, pick a store, fabric, color, and length and let them choose style from there.  As long as color & fabric match, they should look fine. 

My BM's wanted to get dresses from David's Bridal (they are in separates states so it was easiest), so I chose a color and just told them to get short dresses (mainly because wedding is in summer). They actually ended up getting together to shop and decided to get the exact same dress anyway. But, they both have similar body types and styles, which wouldn't work for everyone. I have another wedding that I'll be in this summer where BM's have very different body types and bride wants everyone to have same dress. So far it looks like I'll probably be buying a dress I don't particularly like, but I figure I can wear it for a day.

• Viczaesar said:
    I would decide what color/fabric you want, maybe pick a store as PPs suggested, then go from there.

I really hate these convertible dresses.  I don't know a single person on whom they've actually looked good.  Also, according to this website they're not actually one size fits all, they're one size fits MOST, size 2-18.
    Agreed. And the boobs on that model? There is NO support with the dress so I hope all of your bridesmaids are ten years old.
  • nicoann said:

Like others said, pick a store, fabric, color, and length and let them choose style from there.  As long as color & fabric match, they should look fine. 

This is IF you really want the dresses to "match". Which is fine if you do. But mismatched dresses can still be beautiful. It's a matter of preference. Personally, I prefer this....

or this...

To this...
  • Actually, for my own wedding, I'm taking it a step further and just asking for a color palette--jewel tones. I love color. I love individuality. I'm expecting something like this...

• I was the MOH in my friend's wedding a couple years ago and we got to pick out our own dresses as long as they were the same color. When I went to pick out my dress, one other BM had already gotten hers. The consultant that was helping looked up which one the other BM had chosen and then suggested which fabrics I should choose that would look best. They did that with all the other BMs as well and it looked fantastic!
  • I picked out a line (it happen to be david's bridal because the nice range in prices), gave them a color and what length I wanted and told them to pick out whatever they wanted. By telling them what line, color & length I knew they would match each other but could pick a style they would feel comfortable in because I had on BM who is more conservative, another who was a twig & two that were shorter & bustier. The ironic thing was they actually all picked out the same dress because it was a nice strapless a-line dress that flattered all their different body types & styles.
  • I went to Davids Bridal and picked the color, length, and material (the shade of blue looks different in satin than it does in a jersey or chiffon so i picked any material other than satin) of the dress and then the girls picked out whatever looked best on them within those guidelines. Everyone's happy and they all look gorgeous!
  • MandyMost said:

MandyMost said:

Yikes! That's so distracting. I mean, I know you're the bride and in white, but it's hard to stand out in a circus. That's like mismatched gone wrong.
  • I am getting married in August, and also have the same situation.  Very small girls, and very tall girls.  If you mis-match too much the bridesmaids will not stand out at your wedding . The jewel bridesmaids are fun, and if thats what the bride wanted thats all that really matters.  However for wedding photos having a softer more mono tone look will be better for the bride to pop.  If you dont want one color, pick a color and use different shades all in the same same tone.  If you go with pink, use soft pink colors or bright but not both.  I gave my girls guidelines so we would all look nice together. 

I told them..

- Chiffon Fabric (A nice soft look for summer, and light weight)

- Long

- Hue of Pink (Rose, Blush, or Suede Rose)

We had a great time picking out the styles, and they are unique to their personalites, but at the same time look like they are all together as a part of the bridal party.  I had the chance to them all, and they look stunning.  With choosing a fabrice, they had multiple designers to look at and spend how much money they wanted.  I had one BM(MOH) spend $380 cause her budget aloud for it, and one spend $120 and they are equally gorgous dresses

At the end of the day, do what you think will make you most happy, think about your photos/wedding concept/ and what will reflect your personality the most.  If it reflects your personlity that will make your wedding beautiful for you and your family.

Cheers!

• or this...

STUCK IN BOX:

This is my inspirational picture as well! I really can't stand the matchy-matchy look, and I want my bridesmaids to be as comfortable as possible. I am only giving them a color palette and a length, and they can choose anything they want - something that's $40 from F21 or $300 from BCBG, whatever they are comfortable with. They are all at different time points in their education/careers, have different body shapes, and are different ages, so there are so many variables that I felt it is best to leave the decision up to them. I think the bouquets that they carry will bring it all together, like in this shot. 

Also I like to avoid decision-making, so that is another reason :P

• I am doing the same thing for my wedding and I found a designer on etsy.com that has a range of about 7 different dresses in the same color and its made to order in terms of sizing so I sent the girls the picture and they picked which dress they wanted and we can order them seperate or together. I love the idea!
  • I'm going to do mismatched dresses for my wedding since the girls are all different body types as well. I have given the girls guidelines to shop by (solid black, long, formal) I may have them pick from a store or designer so the dresses are in the same family but am not too worried about that. I also would like for them to send me a pic before they purchase it so I can see it as a few live far away too. I am giving them matching fascinators and long black gloves to wear to make the party cohesive, as well as stand out from the other women who may show up wearing a long black dress. I am also letting them pick their own jewelry as long as it is pearls or pearl/crystal mix and pick their own shoes in black.
  • I would pick out a specific color, and then give them the simple guidelines such as length or material, something like that so that way they match while being individual. Also, Maid of Honor lives 900 miles away, and we did her dress fittings on facetime and Skype. The two are so helpful with distance and are so much better than pictures.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am getting married May 3, 2014 and my bridesmaids are all over the country so I chose David's. My colors are apple red and champagne so I assigned them each a color and then told them to choose whichever dress looked best in that color and in chiffon or charmeuse. I also have two junior bridesmaids who are 10 & 13 but both look like they're 18 so I gave them the same instructions. They've all sent me the dress number they chose and all of them are amazing and will look great together. Good luck!!
  • We went go DBs. I've had my fair share of ugly bm dresses so I went with MOH to go pick out colors that we liked and fabric. I went through all the dresses and gave my girls all of the style numbers that were available in same color, fabric, and length, like 12 options. I was going to do just color and length until I seen that certain fabrics change the color and I didn't want any of the girls to look odd. The girls responded well and I like the fact that they have the freedom to choose something that fits their personality and body type.
  • I am having my girls in Alfred Angelo dresses and told they they could pick what they wanted as long as it was the correct color fabric and length. THey are loving the freedom to pick something they like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards