Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Did you make an ettiquette mistake?

MollyandDMollyandD member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited February 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
My wedding is getting closer ever day. :D

There are a lot of things I knew about ettiquette for weddings prior to being engaged, like: no cash bars, invite significant others, do not ask for cash, don't put registration information on invitations, etc.

There are some things I really did not know until more recently, like: some people think showing a video during a reception is rude if everything else shuts down (I'm showing a video but it will be part of the background. Look or don't.), it's not ok to help plan your own parties except the guest list (I haven't had any prewedding parties so I learned this in time!), etc.

Some people told me they think buffets are rude because you don't care enough to let your guests sit down the whole time. I prefer buffets since, as a vegetarian, it's hard to eat a good meal at a plated dinner. Glad I learned that while some don't like buffets, they aren't rude.

My point is, I feel like I learned things in time and I am grateful for that. Are there any other mistakes you or someone you know made without realizing that it shouldn't be done that way? Thank you for helping me avoid pitfalls.

Re: Did you make an ettiquette mistake?

• Options
    I put "semi formal reception to follow" on our invitations and learned how wrong that was after I already placed the order. Buffets and background videos have little, if anything, to do with etiquette. Etiquette is about your guests comfort. As long as you provide food and drink, a place to sit, and a comfortable atmosphere you're on a really good track :)

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    LisaA2014 said:

I have a little over a month to go but I had no idea head tables were rude. Its been a huge struggle with future in laws as well as my fiancé to convince them a sweetheart table is the way to go.

I only recently learned there were different names for the tables. I'm planning to just sit at a normal table like everyone else with my wedding party. If I'm a good hostess, I should be up most of the time talking to guests anyway, I think. I don't care if other people do their tables however, but I think I should be up talking to everyone.
  • Options
    We made a big etiquette mistake at the beginning (before I was on TK, I promise!).  FPILs gave us a check and told us it was for an e-party, and they offered to host it in their backyard with catering.  Awesome!  Then after telling their whole family about the party, FPILs told us they did not want the party in their backyard.  They said we should find a restaurant.

That's the point at which we should have declined the party.  Instead, because we were excited and the whole family had heard we were having a party, we embarked on a hellish journey to find a restaurant that could host all these people for FPILs backyard budget.  We ended up choosing the cheapest brunch place in our area we could find (faux pas #1 helping to plan) and kicking in a few hundred dollars to stretch the budget (faux pas #2 helping to pay).

We called FPILs the hosts, FFIL gave a welcome toast, and for all intents and purposes they threw the e-party for us.  I still consider them the hosts because we never would have had any party if not for them, and they paid the vast majority of it.  But I know the etiquette-correct thing to do would be decline the party instead of help them move it to a restaurant when they decided against the backyard party.  

That was sort of cathartic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I think buffets are more of a preference issue than an etiquette issue. It's certainly not rude to feed your guests, and as long as everyone has a place to sit, you're good there. 

I know some people who LOVE buffets because they can choose different types of food and eat as much as they want, and I know some people who HATE buffets because they've been to weddings where the food started running out before everyone got some (though, I'd argue that's poor planning on the head count and/or caterer's end of things). My favorite is actually family style, which is a combination of both - you get the "class" that goes with a plated/served meal, but you get to pick and choose items and take as much or as little as you want.

Anyway, every wedding I've ever been to had a head table with just the B, G, and WP. It never even occurred to me that it was rude because I didn't think about it in-depth. It was just what I saw at every wedding and figured it was tradition. After reading threads here, it was like a smack in the face. I couldn't believe I'd almost been rude to my WP. :( We were still early in planning, so I didn't have to rearrange anything, but I nixed the head table and went with standard rounds. H was shy about having us eat by ourselves at a sweetheart table, as he would have felt like he was on display, so we sat at a round with our WP and their spouses. It was sort of front and center but not completely separate.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    some of the stuff like buffets and videos are preferences.

I didn't make a mistake as much as I flat ignored the mentioning of attire on the invite rule.   We had a FAQ insert card that among other things mentioned the wedding would be on the actual beach. Jackets and ties are not necessary and that there would be shoe valet available for those who want to take off the their shoes for the ceremony.     I stand by our decision as our wedding was totally outside the norm as far as formality went  for everyone other than our island friends.  They were honestly completely confused on what to wear.  We got tons of thank you for the FQA insert so it worked for our guests.   Had our wedding been the standard Catholic Church/hotel or country club wedding they normally attend we would not have said anything.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    The Knot saved me from leaving out some newly dating SO's.  Luckily I found these forums before our invites went out!
  • Options
    I had a gap :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really didn't realize that hosting an engagement party was a no-no, mostly because in my social circle, they are not gift giving events and more of an excuse to get together.  (We did not have an engagement party.)

One of my bigger no-nos were before I was even engaged. 
    1- I didn't officially RSVP for my friend's wedding (I was in the BP, and texted her when I bought my plane ticket, so I think she figured it out)
    2- I was a no show for my friend's engagement party.  (I had no money and my phone was broken, not that it's an excuse to be a jerk.)

I just want to add, it makes me really sad to see so many vegetarians that have a hard time at weddings.  A lot of people in my family are vegetarians, and we are going to have some kick butt vegetarian food!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I invited people to the bridal shower who weren't invited to the wedding. I joined the knot before my wedding, but I didn't post much or read very many posts until afterward. I have been invited to a couple showers where I wasn't invited to the wedding. I was always super excited to celebrate with the bride and was never offended, so I didn't think it was rude.
  • Options

I suppose I had a gap. My church was 30 min from my reception site. However, as soon as the first guests arrived from the church to the reception, the cocktail hour began. Noone had to wait for anything. So, not sure that counts?

I'm also not sure about my receiving line. We had two sets of divorced parents and no one liked each other. So, I just did a receiving line to avoid being accused of spending time with one parent instead of the other. Equal time with each person in my mind! However, I still got accused of being rude because I occasionally went over to my mom to help me with something but didn't ask my dad for help.

• Options
    I sent out e-mails (kinda STD's) just over a year out, since we were going away for a DW.  I told people they could RSVP on our website if they knew they were coming, which is technically asking for a RSVP a year out.  We didn't get many responses.  It was more curiosity on our part as to who was thinking of making the trip versus an actual RSVP, but not a great idea in hind site.  We did have real invites with actual RSVP's at a more appropriate time

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I suppose I had a gap. My church was 30 min from my reception site. However, as soon as the first guests arrived from the church to the reception, the cocktail hour began. Noone had to wait for anything. So, not sure that counts?

I'm also not sure about my receiving line. We had two sets of divorced parents and no one liked each other. So, I just did a receiving line to avoid being accused of spending time with one parent instead of the other. Equal time with each person in my mind! However, I still got accused of being rude because I occasionally went over to my mom to help me with something but didn't ask my dad for help.

Travel time don't count as gaps.  Well normal travel times.  2 hours to get to the reception would be a different story.

That is good! I made sure the reception venue was prepared to receive guests as they arrived!

After being on here for so long, I also know I did a lot of things correctly that I never really thought too much about previously!!

• Options
    Our invitations said our ceremony started at 5, but we didn't actually start till 5:15. But we had a musical prelude. Also, we didn't include titles on our invitations because it was a casual wedding. 
  • Options
    I think our venue actually requires a different invitation start time AND actual start time. Not sure how we're going to handle this.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Oh man I made the mistake thinking cash bar was ok. Lol. I'm reserving our day with the venue manager and my mom and he asks about what kind of open bar did I want. I said cash and both my mom and the manager were like.....Aaaawww not a good idea. Good thing i went with open bar.
    Hahahha how am I suppose to know?! It's my first wedding. It was my first week being engaged too. Not a good start
  • Options
    majesty318majesty318 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2014
    @phira my venue does the same! They require invitation start time half an hour earlier. However, they serve champagne as everyone arrives. I am explaining it on our website and also spreading it by word of mouth in case anyone prefers not to come early. A lot of our guests will be staying in the hotel we blocked and will catch the shuttle so I will have the shuttle scheduled to arrive a little closer to actual start time.
  • Options
    @phira my venue does the same! They require invitation start time half an hour earlier. However, they serve champagne as everyone arrives. I am explaining it on our website and also spreading it by word of mouth in case anyone prefers not to come early. A lot of our guests will be staying in the hotel we blocked and will catch the shuttle so I will have the shuttle scheduled to arrive a little closer to actual start time.
    This sounds fine to me.  I love a champagne greeting.  So elegant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    LisaA2014 said:
    I have a little over a month to go but I had no idea head tables were rude. Its been a huge struggle with future in laws as well as my fiancé to convince them a sweetheart table is the way to go.
    Wait, how did I miss this? Why are head tables rude? Is it just in the instance that you don't also let significant others sit at the table with the wedding party? Or is there another reason they are rude? I hadn't decided which we would do yet, but if we had a head table I had planned on letting the significant others of wedding party members sit with us as well. If it turned out to be too many people I thought we would do the sweetheart table. I just want to make sure there isn't something else I'm missing here
  • Options
    LisaA2014 said:
    Wait, how did I miss this? Why are head tables rude? Is it just in the instance that you don't also let significant others sit at the table with the wedding party? Or is there another reason they are rude? I hadn't decided which we would do yet, but if we had a head table I had planned on letting the significant others of wedding party members sit with us as well. If it turned out to be too many people I thought we would do the sweetheart table. I just want to make sure there isn't something else I'm missing here
    As long as you're allowing WP members to sit with SOs, you're all set. Unless I'm also missing something, that would be the only reason against a head table.
  • Options
    @majesty318 @JCBride2014 Our venue is honestly really great, and they're giving us a ton of complimentary stuff because we have a hard to book date (off-season Sunday near a holiday). One of the extras they're giving us is "welcome beverage service," so our guests will be offered hot cider as they arrive, and the ceremony area will be set up and ready to go so people can sit.

The venue is a super popular wedding venue and they've been in the business for years, so I believe them when they say that they do things this way for a reason. Hell, I'm an instructor; I know that no matter how clear you are, 130 people are not all going to pay attention and show up on time, and they'll be distracting as they come in late. But I'm glad that we can at least properly host everyone, and I think that we only have to add a 15 minute buffer.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    meowcat84 said:
    Oh man I made the mistake thinking cash bar was ok. Lol. I'm reserving our day with the venue manager and my mom and he asks about what kind of open bar did I want. I said cash and both my mom and the manager were like.....Aaaawww not a good idea. Good thing i went with open bar. Hahahha how am I suppose to know?! It's my first wedding. It was my first week being engaged too. Not a good start
    I'm glad they had your back and helped out avoid this one!  If you are worried that you might make a blunder that will make you look bad to your guests, try lurking on this board for awhile, it will help.  No one is born knowing how to be a good host and we pick up a lot of bad habits over time.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've congratulated the bride. :)

Fortunately, my first move after getting engaged was to lurk here and read Miss Manners cover to cover. My wedding should be nearly 100% etiquette-approved. 
  • Options
    On one of the invitations I sent out I put a persons "short version" name, rather than their "long version" name.  Wont say her real name but it was like putting Bob instead of Robert.

She defriended me on facebook for it.

Oops.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards