Not Engaged Yet
Options

Tell me about your hair care products

2»

Re: Tell me about your hair care products

• Options
    @Ollie08 - I don't actually recall. 

@BriSox81 - That's not even the worst thing. I also ate matches. I remember them tasting salty. 

• Options
    1. My hair is curly/wavy and I have red stripe highlights with the natural brown
    2. Shampoo and conditioner- organix coconut milk
    3. When my hair is damp, I use organix tea tree oil moisturizer
  • Options
    1. Sakalicious is beautiful. You also look super sassy in that pic. 

2. @swazzle - matches, eh? I was obsessed with butter packets when I was little. I would steal them from restaurants and eat them. My mom washed my coat once, and when it came out of the dryer there was a big grease stain on the pocket. She reached in & pulled out a handful of little  wrappers, because I had stuffed the pocket with butter packets. Oops.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @swazzle we aren't going to see you on one of those creepy shows about people that eat effed up stuff are we?

• Options

1.  I have medium length, naturally curly, dark chocolate brown hair with a few subtle highlights.  I go through a hair crisis at least on a quarterly basis wanting a shorter, straight style, but I'm too lazy to want to straighten it all of the time.

2. I use some line of L'oreal shampoo, and then a sulfate free conditioner by Deva for curly hair.

3. I started using mostly sulfate/silicone free products in my hair, they say it's better for curly hair, so I use a leave-in conditioner which also helps with the moisture (L'oreal brand, I forget the exact kind).

• Options
    As far as lip balm, Aveda Lip Saver is the best! It's a little pricier but worth every penny, and lasts forever! Only thing that helped me through this really dry winter!

So here goes, My must have products:
    -My favorite curly hair products: Aveda Be Curly line, Bumble and Bumble Surf spray or Paul Mitchell Awaphi Ginger Sea Salt Spray, Label M Curl Cream and Souffle. 
    -For volume, Aveda Pure Abundance line hands down. The shampoo is really cleansing and the conditioner is a clay based so it fills the hair and is still really hydrating. Also volume is all about blow drying, you can use as many products as you want but you need to blow dry to get volume. Pureology makes a great volume spray.
    -For dry hair, invest in a good deep conditioner or have one done at a salon. Kerastase and Aveda Botanical treatments are my professional fav. Paul mitchell awaphui ginger, the it's a 10, kerastase are awesome also. Aveda just launched their new Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil that is their version of Moroccan Oil that has no silicon or fillers and that actually repairs the hair from the inside out. It's fantastic! Kerastase Elixir is very pricey but amazing as a serum. 
    -I absolutely love dry shampoo. Label M is my favorite, Global keratin smells like a pina colad, doesn't work as well but smells amazing!
    -HEAT PROTECTION!! I cannot stress this enough. If you just occasionally blow dry or flat iron, curl, anything you need to use a heat protection! Morrocan Oils are not heat protection, you need a specific heat protection if you are using any form of heat. Think of it as sunscreen for your hair. Kersastse Ciment Thermique or Chroma Thermique are really good for damaged or colored hair. My personal favorite is Aveda Brilliant Damage Control Spray. It's super lightweight, won't way your hair down at all and is easy to flat iron or curl over also. The Aveda Serum that was mentioned earlier is most likely Smooth Infusion Smooth Prep, it's the best humidity help for frizzy hair! Flat iron sprays, big sexy hair has an amazing flat iron spray that is like a hairspray for your ends to help seal them in. 
    -Damaged Hair from color or highlights or lots of color! Kerastase Ciment line or Aveda Damage Remedy are both packed with protein and are amazing. 
    -Shampoo and Condtioner: I personally love Pureology. I spend the money and get the liters and they last me a year or longer. My conditioner has been in my shower for a year and a half. For blondes, Paul Mitchell Forever Blonde is decent but the Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo and Conditioner have a a toning agent to help blondes get away from brassy and be brighter, especially if your water is horrible like it is here in San Diego! 
    -Scalp Problems, Please stay away from TGEL and Head and Shoulders. PLEASE STAY AWAY! Those are horrible for your hair, especially if you color your hair. Aveda Scalp Benefits is great for any scalp irritations or dandruff, if you have a lot of or stubborn dandruff Invati Shampoo used once a week is a great solution. It is an exfoliating shampoo and is great for dry scalp! Framesi makes a decent scalp shampoo and KMS Head Remedy is my favorite ( I alternate between this one and Aveda Scalp Benefits) Dandruff is usually caused by putting your hair up when wet (which should be avoided already) and going to bed with wet hair, always air dry hair or blow dry before putting into a bun or ponytail or to bed to help avoid this problem!
    -Hairsprays: Oribe Superfine and Superfine Strong are just fantastic and Aveda Control Force is my go to for any curling (my hair which never holds curl, holds curl with this hairspray for 3 days!)

Just a side not, shampoos not conditioners have sulfates (Sulfates are usually salt based and can be abrasive to the hair by opening the cuticle too much, sugar based sulfates which are used in "sulfate free" shampoos are more gentle on the hair. Also they will not suds as much as normal salt sulfate shampoo so always add more water before adding more product. With Pureology they recommend using about a dime size amount, and yes that really is plenty!) Just as an FYI, most drug store products have a higher PH than your hair, causing your cuticle to open more and your hair to get damaged. Also they are mostly water based so you need to use a lot more than if you were to go with a higher end product that is more concentrated. Yes you are spending more up front by going with better quality products but in the long run it will last you a lot longer and will be so much better for your hair!

Thanks for reading my novel, haha! Please feel free to ask or PM me with any questions, I'm always happy to help!

• Options
    1. What type of hair do you have? (i.e. color treated, frizzy, curly, straight, hot mess, etc)
    Long & Damaged.  It's wavy/frizzy naturally but I straighten it daily (if anybody could tell me how to keep the wave/lose the frizz and not make it 'crispy & sticky' I'd love to know!)

2. What shampoo and conditioner do you use?
    I alternate:  Herbal Essence, Suave, Garnier, tresemme (aka what's on sale - will not use pantene though - that leaves my hair icky)

3. Do you have any products you use post-shower that are a must have?
    Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth

Anniversary
  • Options
    PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    MJOrchid said:
    As far as lip balm, Aveda Lip Saver is the best! It's a little pricier but worth every penny, and lasts forever! Only thing that helped me through this really dry winter!

So here goes, My must have products:
    -My favorite curly hair products: Aveda Be Curly line, Bumble and Bumble Surf spray or Paul Mitchell Awaphi Ginger Sea Salt Spray, Label M Curl Cream and Souffle. 
    -For volume, Aveda Pure Abundance line hands down. The shampoo is really cleansing and the conditioner is a clay based so it fills the hair and is still really hydrating. Also volume is all about blow drying, you can use as many products as you want but you need to blow dry to get volume. Pureology makes a great volume spray.
    -For dry hair, invest in a good deep conditioner or have one done at a salon. Kerastase and Aveda Botanical treatments are my professional fav. Paul mitchell awaphui ginger, the it's a 10, kerastase are awesome also. Aveda just launched their new Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil that is their version of Moroccan Oil that has no silicon or fillers and that actually repairs the hair from the inside out. It's fantastic! Kerastase Elixir is very pricey but amazing as a serum. 
    -I absolutely love dry shampoo. Label M is my favorite, Global keratin smells like a pina colad, doesn't work as well but smells amazing!
    -HEAT PROTECTION!! I cannot stress this enough. If you just occasionally blow dry or flat iron, curl, anything you need to use a heat protection! Morrocan Oils are not heat protection, you need a specific heat protection if you are using any form of heat. Think of it as sunscreen for your hair. Kersastse Ciment Thermique or Chroma Thermique are really good for damaged or colored hair. My personal favorite is Aveda Brilliant Damage Control Spray. It's super lightweight, won't way your hair down at all and is easy to flat iron or curl over also. The Aveda Serum that was mentioned earlier is most likely Smooth Infusion Smooth Prep, it's the best humidity help for frizzy hair! Flat iron sprays, big sexy hair has an amazing flat iron spray that is like a hairspray for your ends to help seal them in. 
    -Damaged Hair from color or highlights or lots of color! Kerastase Ciment line or Aveda Damage Remedy are both packed with protein and are amazing. 
    -Shampoo and Condtioner: I personally love Pureology. I spend the money and get the liters and they last me a year or longer. My conditioner has been in my shower for a year and a half. For blondes, Paul Mitchell Forever Blonde is decent but the Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo and Conditioner have a a toning agent to help blondes get away from brassy and be brighter, especially if your water is horrible like it is here in San Diego! 
    -Scalp Problems, Please stay away from TGEL and Head and Shoulders. PLEASE STAY AWAY! Those are horrible for your hair, especially if you color your hair. Aveda Scalp Benefits is great for any scalp irritations or dandruff, if you have a lot of or stubborn dandruff Invati Shampoo used once a week is a great solution. It is an exfoliating shampoo and is great for dry scalp! Framesi makes a decent scalp shampoo and KMS Head Remedy is my favorite ( I alternate between this one and Aveda Scalp Benefits) Dandruff is usually caused by putting your hair up when wet (which should be avoided already) and going to bed with wet hair, always air dry hair or blow dry before putting into a bun or ponytail or to bed to help avoid this problem!
    -Hairsprays: Oribe Superfine and Superfine Strong are just fantastic and Aveda Control Force is my go to for any curling (my hair which never holds curl, holds curl with this hairspray for 3 days!)

Just a side not, shampoos not conditioners have sulfates (Sulfates are usually salt based and can be abrasive to the hair by opening the cuticle too much, sugar based sulfates which are used in "sulfate free" shampoos are more gentle on the hair. Also they will not suds as much as normal salt sulfate shampoo so always add more water before adding more product. With Pureology they recommend using about a dime size amount, and yes that really is plenty!) Just as an FYI, most drug store products have a higher PH than your hair, causing your cuticle to open more and your hair to get damaged. Also they are mostly water based so you need to use a lot more than if you were to go with a higher end product that is more concentrated. Yes you are spending more up front by going with better quality products but in the long run it will last you a lot longer and will be so much better for your hair!

Thanks for reading my novel, haha! Please feel free to ask or PM me with any questions, I'm always happy to help!

I used the Kerastase Cement Thermique when I used to straighten my hair...love it!

I know that shampoos are worse and have more sulfates, but when I try to use a low/no sulfate shampoo, I get terrible scalp buildup, so I've resorted back to your average type shampoos.  Any input on how I could use low sulfate but avoid buildup, @MJOrchid?  I"ve tried to just use conditioner and no shampoo but again, the buildup!!  Lots of flakes!

• Options
    1. What type of hair do you have? (i.e. color treated, frizzy, curly, straight, hot mess, etc)
    Medium-long, color-treated (back to my natural color). If I let it dry on its own, it's wavy, but a simply blow dry keeps it straight. It's also damaged from relentless chemical processes over the past 10 years. I always end up leaving hair EVERYWHERE, it's so aggravating. And if I go 2 days without washing it, the fallout is unbelievable. :(

2. What shampoo and conditioner do you use? 
    I don't have any particular brand I use regularly, but right now I'm using Garnier Fructis (damaged control shampoo, fall-out conditioner).

3. Do you have any products you use post-shower that are a must have?
    I've just started using Tea Tree Oil and.... O... M.... G.... it is wonderful. It smells amazing (and you can smell it long after your hair is dried) and it does wonders for my split ends. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    1. What type of hair do you have? (i.e. color treated, frizzy, curly, straight, hot mess, etc) Long hair, dyed brown, fine hair but thick because there's so much of it. Stick straight.
    2. What shampoo and conditioner do you use?  the Revlon one for color-treated hair.
    3. Do you have any products you use post-shower that are a must have? I always use It's a 10 Leave in Conditioner. If I plan to blow dry my hair, I'll use a primer and mousse from Wella. If I'm just flat ironing hair that's been air dried, I'll use the Chi oil on it afterwards. 

• Options
    I have medium-long naturally curly brow hair. It's on the thinner side but I have SO much of it that sometimes I don't know what to do. I constantly break hair ties and, more recently a hair brush. :sigh:

I also have one streak of grey above my left temple. For some reason all the women in our family have a streak (or streaks) of grey from a young age. For now I kind of dig it, so I haven't dyed it or anything, but eventually I probably will. 

I use moroccan oil shampoo about once a week to help keep the curls sleek (works wonders, but it's expensive and I'm on a student budget), other than that I use a coconut oil shampoo--nitrate free is the way to go! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards