Snarky Brides
Options

Tent or no tent?

I've come into a bit of a dilemma and was hoping for some advice.

I'm having a wedding in August at a very pretty and affordable outdoor venue. I had mentioned to our wedding planner that I was interested in getting one of those pretty sailcloth festival tents but it turned out that those require staking which is a no-go for the venue. Our wedding planner kept digging and found a relatively affordable tent that wouldn't require staking but it's still 3k (the venue was $890 - lol) and it's made of metal and white vinyl which I'm not super keen on.

According to the peeps at the venue, nobody bothers to set up a tent there and instead set up all the tables under a giant oak tree. Here's some pics: http://www.videoweddingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/QUAILH1-e1327538748984.jpg
http://brianacphotography.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/la-wedding-4445_blog.jpg

Now here's what the tent looks like:
http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/snikives/media/Hayes-FurBall-Tent_zps84678940.jpg.html
http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/snikives/media/TentSetUp_zps9879fb6a.jpg.html
note: there won't be walls

Basically it would be nice to have a little more weather/sun protection than just the tree provides, and we are way under budget so I wouldn't mind spending the money if the tent would add a lot to the wedding. Without the food tables it the way, we'd probably turn the area under the tree into a larger dance area.

So, thoughts? Is the tent uggo? Would it be an asset? Am I overthinking this?

Re: Tent or no tent?

• Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    As my planner said: If you are having a wedding outdoors, with no alternate indoor option, you need a tent.  What would you do if it rains?  Could you fit enough tables for everyone indoors?  If your only option for seating is outdoors, do yourself a favor, save yourself the stress, and get a tent so that the weather isn't an issue.
  • Options

delujm0 said:
    As my planner said: If you are having a wedding outdoors, with no alternate indoor option, you need a tent.  What would you do if it rains?  Could you fit enough tables for everyone indoors?  If your only option for seating is outdoors, do yourself a favor, save yourself the stress, and get a tent so that the weather isn't an issue.
    Good point! Though I will add that while rain is a possibility, it's not super likely for August in California.
    But still, definitely something to consider.
  • Options
    Your venue is beautiful! 

I love the idea of an outdoor wedding, but I agree that you need an indoor, or at least covered, option. I realize rain is unlikely for you, but personally I know that even the slight possibility would cause me stress. Also, I agree it's probably good to provide additional coverage from just sun and heat, even if there isn't rain, especially for any very old/very young guests. It would be better not to have to worry about it- I would go with the tent. 
  • Options
    Absolutely stunning venue. I do agree with PPs, I think having a tent will alleviate some unneeded stress of worrying about the weather in general.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Defintely get the tent.  Peace of mind is worth more than $3K in my mind.   Your venue is absolutely gorgeous.     Since you said you were under budget, talk to your planner about finding some decorations for the tent that will dress it up.   Maybe lanterns or some lights will give it character.
  • Options
    Who cares what the tent looks like? It's way better than being stuck out in the sun or rain all afternoon.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    gorgeous, I love it. Get a tent. I know it sucks and it isn't as pretty, but I have been to outdoor weddings in "places it doesn't rain" and it poured. Cross your fingers and hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna go for it. You all brought up some excellent points.
  • Options
    Defintely get the tent.  Peace of mind is worth more than $3K in my mind.   Your venue is absolutely gorgeous.     Since you said you were under budget, talk to your planner about finding some decorations for the tent that will dress it up.   Maybe lanterns or some lights will give it character.
    I was going to say exactly this. My friends had a tent like that (minus the walls) and dressed it up with some gorgeous lanterns and string lights. You could hardly even see the top of the tent once it was dusk, and the lights covered most of the rails. It was really pretty.
  • Options
    Tent all the way. The site is lovely!
  • Options
    snikives said:
    Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna go for it. You all brought up some excellent points.

Glad you are going to get the tent! My friend just got married March 1st in Phoenix and the chance of rain in Phoenix is like 1%. Seriously, it rains there 3 nights per year. It absolutely POURED on her wedding night. You just never know what it could do so I'd never take the chance!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards