Chit Chat
Options

Brag about yourself!

I want to brag about myself! I work for a closed captioning company. There is a movie in theaters right now that I had the honor of captioning, so once it's on DVD, if you put the English captions on it, I'm the one who did it. It's a big deal to me. :) 

Brag about yourself!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Brag about yourself!

• Options
    RedJacks25RedJacks25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I want to brag about myself! I work for a closed captioning company. There is a movie in theaters right now that I had the honor of captioning, so once it's on DVD, if you put the English captions on it, I'm the one who did it. It's a big deal to me. :) 

Brag about yourself!
    So you're who to blame for the misspelled captions!

I am a Mechanical Engineering intern-not my first choice and will probably change my major back to English ASAP. Math is so terrible. I work for a company partnered with the Department of Defense that makes oil pumps. Not super exciting.
    But! I am a real-live published writer. I've done a few articles here and there for online blogs and papers. So I'm pretty stoked about that. Plus I'll have a book out next year hopefully! And I'm planning on penning a remake of Logan's Run. Which will probably never be picked up by anyone, but I'm excited to do it!
    Haha, nope! I'm 100% accurate. I do all post-production work. The spelling errors are in the live stuff. ;)

cruffino said:
    My IL's are deaf, so I really appreciate the work you do.

Oh, thank you! I love knowing that what I do helps so many people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I just got a $4,500/year raise!
    Nice! Congrats! Our reviews are coming up, and I put in my evaluation that I want a $20k/year raise... We'll see how that goes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ScoutF said:
    Wow, you guys are awesome! I just made dinner for me and H. I feel so accomplished ;)
    I'm right there with you. I just finished my homework and put dinner in the oven. 
  • Options
    Congrats everyone!!
  • Options
    I am in awe of all of you! Makes me want to get out there and do something amazing with my life. Not that I'm a slacker, just average.
  • Options
    I was given a job solely on the fact the owner of the company loved me and didn't want to let me get away. So now I make 5$ over the minimum wage with a high school diploma and 3.5 years of employment history.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You all make me feel very lazy as I am laying in bed contemplating pouring a glass of champagne.

• Options
    I was published in a few poetry anthologies when I was in high school and college, nothing super serious or prestigious, but enough to make the T/A for my Expository Writing class (freshman English) hate me, attempt to fail me, get in trouble, and "leave the class due to personal reasons" midway through the semester. I proceeded to teach the class with supervision of another professor.

I had the balls and self-respect to walk away from a high-paying job in the advertising world because I didn't agree with how they treated their employees (demeaning the administrative staff, unfair working conditions/hours/expectations, sexual harassment, pay structures, etc). It meant being on unemployment for a very long time while making ends meet through consulting and alternative income streams (I used to sell cookies online, hence my SN), but there was no way I could have continued where I was. I love myself way too much to put up with the emotional and psychological abuse of that company - which, ironically, shut down 2 months after I left.

My company is celebrating a big anniversary, so my name is going to be on a resolution being read by the State Senate. That's pretty much my most recent claim to fame. heh
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    After spending 2 weeks training at UCSF, I single-handedly set up a new model system for my research at my university. I am the only person with the training to maintain the model system, so I do all the maintenance myself. The labs in the US that I trained and consulted with during the set-up process have an entire team (2-3 people) dedicated to this, and can't believe I do it all on my own. We are now the only university in Canada that has the capability to work with this model. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Simky906Simky906 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    I just had my annual review at work and my boss told me that it's the best review he's ever had the pleasure of administering. He actually rated me higher on the review then I did on my self assessment; it's a really nice feeling to know you're appreciated. I got a raise too! And I can't forget to brag on FI; he just got a promotion at work! He starts the new position on Monday and he's like a kid in a candy store he's so excited. It also came with a pretty substantial raise so that's an added bonus.
  • Options
    I am really excited to finish my first job after graduating from Stanford with my MS degree in June!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    oh, I like this thread!

I put myself through grad school while working full time then moved to NY on my own when I was 25 and only knew 1 person here. Since moving here, I have more than doubled my salary in less than 6 years.

I take a lot of pride in my ability to take care of myself.
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014

I love this thread! You ladies are all truly amazing.

I am hugely pregnant. But i have still managed to work out 3-4 times a week. A few people have told me that they cant tell I am pregnant from behind. Score!

While I graduated a several years ago from college. I am still proud of myself for with graduating with honors, a double degree and defending my thesis paper on childhood obesity and the public school system. (I picked the topic before Michelle Obama put a spot light on it)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome thread! I love seeing how proud of themselves everyone is.

Not a huge deal but I just started submitting photos I've taken to Pixoto and I've gotten a couple little pic of the day awards. It makes me feel good. I pretty much taught myself about photography and how to use lightroom and photoshop and am really pleased with my progress. I'm still definitely close to a beginner amateur and have very basic equipment but I really enjoy it. I like it when I beat someone else with my Canon Rebel T3 when they have something way fancier. lol. 

I am in a really difficult A&P class and even though I haven't dedicated the time I should be to it with everything else going on, I am doing pretty well in it. Someone asked me to help her study for the next test and that makes me feel pretty good. 
  • Options

I used to write sports articles for a sports website but the website got sold and kind of drifted into nowhereville.

When I was 22 years old, I packed up my car and moved 3,000 miles away by myself just to have some new experiences. It was the best couple years of my life, meeting so many new people. A lot of people that age are too scared to leave their comfort zones so I was pretty proud of myself.

Bought my house when I was 25 and single. I'm debt free (except my mortgage).

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

When I was 22 years old, I packed up my car and moved 3,000 miles away by myself just to have some new experiences. It was the best couple years of my life, meeting so many new people. A lot of people that age are too scared to leave their comfort zones so I was pretty proud of myself.

*************************STUCK***********************

Same! I think everyone should do that at some point. I did it for a job but I was long overdue for a new start anyway. It's always surprising to me how many people desperately want x job but aren't willing to move to get it. I miss home but my life is 10x better from that move.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards