Destination Weddings Discussions

Looking for a Venue in Hawaii

I am struggling to find a wedding venue that is not astronomical in price.  Looking to get married next year in either Oahu or Maui.  We are expecting about 35 guests.  Would like to get married on the beach and have an intimate reception with LOTS of dancing!  I am looking for that hidden gem but I am finding this task more difficult than finding a dress (which I found tonight).  We are looking at January or February 2015.  Would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.
Thank you in advance~

Re: Looking for a Venue in Hawaii

• Do you have a price point you are looking to spend on the venue?
  • Try the Hawaii local board too, for more ideas.  We got married at the Outrigger Reef Hotel in Waikiki, on the Voyager Deck.  It overlooks the beach.  

A word of note, beaches are public in Hawaii (with the small exceptions of somewhere like Paradise Cove on Oahu) and there is a permit (I think $20) to use the space for weddings.  You are not allowed to have any structures on the beach, so no arches or chairs which will suck for your guests.  You'll need to find a private beach to get those things in your ceremony.  Good luck with planning!!

• I am not trying to blow the bank on this wedding.  We have budgeted 15k - 18k for the entire wedding.
  • Hi @lea2michael, I might be able to help.  I am having a similar sized wedding on Maui in October.  My family lives on Oahu and we visited potential sites on both Maui and Oahu in December.

On Maui, we looked at Merriman's, Sugar Beach Estate, Sugarman Estate, Makena Resort and Olowalu Plantation House.

On Oahu, we looked at Turtle Bay Resort, Kahala Resort and Loulu Palm Estate.

Are you thinking a resort setting or more of a private estate setting? I would suggest narrowing down your list based on the type of setting you picture for your big day - estate vs. resort vs. restaurant. If you'd rather not deal with a lot of the logistics (or hire a wedding coordinator to do it for you), then resort or restaurant is probably easier. Hope this helps!

• Thanks @itsmestacey123!  I am estimating about 35 guests.  The last wedding planner we spoke with suggested a restaurant but we would not be able to have music until 9pm and only for an hour. Our biggest thing is that we want to DANCE!  I have looked at both a resort and a private estate.  Both have their drawbacks in terms of costs but I am still unsure. 
  • We've chosen Olowalu Plantation House in Maui for next March.  We are having about 30 people.  Olowalu is $2750 to rent for a weekday.  It is beautiful and on the water.  Is the 15-18K including flights and hotel?  Or just wedding.  I ask because our wedding (just ceremony and reception) will be about 15k.  This was the final estimate I received today and it is for Everything, The venue, catering, lighting, music, cake, flowers, officiant etc...
  • Thanks @kimberlyw939.  15 - 18k was for the entire wedding.  I did look at the Olowalu and have read nice things about it.  Not sure if our budget is going to work...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards