Chit Chat
Options

When are you considered a bride?

I went to a bridal shower over the weekend and there were banners hanging that said Bride-to-Be. So I got to wondering- is a woman only a bride on her wedding day or also the weeks/ months leading up to that wedding??

And then I got a shocker- I looked it up in the dictionary and it defines Bride- a newly married woman or woman about to be married. Whoa whoa whoa now- it's always told to PPD ladies that they are a wife, not a bride but not according to the actual definition!! Yikes.

Re: When are you considered a bride?

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I took "a newly married woman" to mean as in she got married that day. So you're a bride on the day of your wedding.

ETA: These are the definitions I found:

a woman on her wedding day or just before and after the event.
    a woman who has just married or is about to be married

• Options
    You're a bride on your wedding day.

You're a bride-to-be before it, and you're a wife after it.

You get ONE DAY to be a bride, your wedding day, and that's it.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options

Devil's Advocate- if that is the case, then why do people routinely refer to a recently married woman as a bride. I.e. "So and so with his new bride just returned from their honeymoon." 
  • Options
    I was going to make the same point as @SBmini.  I've heard quite a few people--especially elderly people--say something like, "Mary has been my bride for 40 years..." etc.  I think it's kind of sweet hearing people say that.  :)
  • Options
    SBmini said:

Devil's Advocate- if that is the case, then why do people routinely refer to a recently married woman as a bride. I.e. "So and so with his new bride just returned from their honeymoon." 
    I have no idea. I hear that, and I think, 'But she's not a bride anymore! She's his wife!' I also don't understand why it's applied to women ('his bride,') but not men ('her groom.')

When people do that, I generally chalk it up to them just using the wrong word.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    SBmini said:

I feel like this is more sentimental than anything. Using the term bride implies whirlwind passion/big day of happiness. It's like when old men refer to their wives as brides 60 years later. 
  • Options
    Gotcha! Newly married means that day, dont' know why that went over my head when I originally read it hahaha But what about leading up to it? No? I feel like at bachelorette parties they always wear a sash or crown that says Bride. Doesn't really matter, just curious.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Gotcha! Newly married means that day, dont' know why that went over my head when I originally read it hahaha But what about leading up to it? No? I feel like at bachelorette parties they always wear a sash or crown that says Bride. Doesn't really matter, just curious.
    My sash said Bachelorette. But honestly, grand scheme of things, I don't think anyone is really judging if you wear something that says 'bride' while celebrating your upcoming wedding. 
  • Options
    SBmini said:

Because writers need synonyms?
  • Options
    I see different names being said all the time, but this is how I see it:

Not engaged yet: girlfriend (or whatever endearing term your SO has for you)
    Before the wedding, after engaged: bride to be, fiancee, "future mrs. -"
    Wedding day: bride, mrs. (after the vows) 
    Days after: newlywed, mrs., wife

I think part of the confusion with this goes to wedding vendors, who often refer to the woman as "the bride" instead of by name.  

• Options
    The way I see, I'll be a bride the day I get married. That's it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I kinda like when older people refer to their wife as "my bride" because I think that means that in that moment, they see her as young and radiant and with as much love as they did on their wedding day. I don't think they intend it literally. Nobody says "I sent my bride to the store for some bread." So yes LITERALLY, I think being a bride ends when your wedding ends. But I also don't take any offense at people using the term bride while in wedding planning discussions... I mean, in the bridal salon they asked "who's the bride?" and obviously I said that was me even though it wasn't my wedding day. And it's not called a fiancee salon. :)

• Options
    SBmini said:

I have no idea. I hear that, and I think, 'But she's not a bride anymore! She's his wife!' I also don't understand why it's applied to women ('his bride,') but not men ('her groom.')

When people do that, I generally chalk it up to them just using the wrong word.
    This.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards