Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Unplugged Wedding - Thoughts?

Re: Unplugged Wedding - Thoughts?

• Options
    lolo883 said:

I have the unpopular opinion of being SOMEWHAT in favor of an unplugged ceremony... but it really is a stretch to tell people how much they should "be there in the moment." It's your moment, not theirs. You can't control how they react or feel about it. I'll be blocking off the aisle with a lace swag and asking people not to take their own photography because it has been annoying to me at every wedding I've ever been at when people stand up, lean out, or obstruct the aisle during the wedding to take pictures with their bright ass phone and audible digital shutter noise. The request is to keep my other guests from being pissed off by this AND to keep from mucking up my pictures, NOT about telling them how they need to personally experience anything. But hell, you wanna liveblog my damn wedding on Twitter or text your babysitter go right ahead, as long as you can do it from the privacy of your own lap.
    I agree with the very 1st part of your post, but. .

Again, you can ask all you want but ppl will still take pictures if they want. Sorry not sorry but I would still take a few, because as a guest I'm sure as shit not going to buy them from your photographer. I also know how to disable the shutter sound on a phone and how not to use a flash.

If I'm coming to your wedding then you are either family or a friend and I like to have photos of big events in the lives of ppl I care about.

Guests who get annoyed or pissed off at other guests for taking photos of their loved ones at a wedding should probably have a drink or two in the parking lot to take the edge off, sheesh!

ETA: I have been to/in 30some weddings now and the bolded has never, ever been an issue at any wedding I have been to.  No one has ever stepped out into the aisle during the ceremony, nor blocked the photographers' shots, nor ruined a shot by using a flash, etc.

Oh hell no, the only way I'm even considering this is we're getting all rights-released digital images from our photographer which we'll be providing to anyone who wants them for free. I would NEVER ask anyone to pay for my photos. No no no.

Exactly! We will have full rights to all of our photos as well as an online photo gallery and will absolutely share them with our guests.

You all are right in that the "fully present" thing does seem ridiculous. Thanks for pointing that out. However, like @phira, our ceremony space is quite small and there will be little room for the photographer to maneuver. Hopefully the aisle decorations will discourage folks from hopping into the aisle to take pictures because that would be a huge problem. Maybe we can just include a note in the program that all professional pictures will be made available via an online gallery after the wedding? That way guests can choose whether or not to rest their cameras based on promised future access to pictures?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    KGold80 said:
    I have the unpopular opinion of being SOMEWHAT in favor of an unplugged ceremony... but it really is a stretch to tell people how much they should "be there in the moment." It's your moment, not theirs. You can't control how they react or feel about it. I'll be blocking off the aisle with a lace swag and asking people not to take their own photography because it has been annoying to me at every wedding I've ever been at when people stand up, lean out, or obstruct the aisle during the wedding to take pictures with their bright ass phone and audible digital shutter noise. The request is to keep my other guests from being pissed off by this AND to keep from mucking up my pictures, NOT about telling them how they need to personally experience anything. But hell, you wanna liveblog my damn wedding on Twitter or text your babysitter go right ahead, as long as you can do it from the privacy of your own lap.

Again, you can ask all you want but ppl will still take pictures if they want. Sorry not sorry but I would still take a few, because as a guest I'm sure as shit not going to buy them from your photographer. I also know how to disable the shutter sound on a phone and how not to use a flash.

If I'm coming to your wedding then you are either family or a friend and I like to have photos of big events in the lives of ppl I care about.

Guests who get annoyed or pissed off at other guests for taking photos of their loved ones at a wedding should probably have a drink or two in the parking lot to take the edge off, sheesh!

ETA: I have been to/in 30some weddings now and the bolded has never, ever been an issue at any wedding I have been to.  No one has ever stepped out into the aisle during the ceremony, nor blocked the photographers' shots, nor ruined a shot by using a flash, etc.
    Oh hell no, the only way I'm even considering this is we're getting all rights-released digital images from our photographer which we'll be providing to anyone who wants them for free. I would NEVER ask anyone to pay for my photos. No no no.
    Exactly! We will have full rights to all of our photos as well as an online photo gallery and will absolutely share them with our guests. You all are right in that the "fully present" thing does seem ridiculous. Thanks for pointing that out. However, like @phira, our ceremony space is quite small and there will be little room for the photographer to maneuver. Hopefully the aisle decorations will discourage folks from hopping into the aisle to take pictures because that would be a huge problem. Maybe we can just include a note in the program that all professional pictures will be made available via an online gallery after the wedding? That way guests can choose whether or not to rest their cameras based on promised future access to pictures?

That would be an idea too... anyone have any experience with this route?
  • Options
    No matter what announcement is made, or what note you include in the program or what you may spread by word of mouth, you have zero control over what people do. All you can hope for is that people will use their brains and realize that stepping in front of the photographer is not the best idea. So it is best to spend your time worrying about things you can control, like the flavor of your cake, over things you can't control, like the behavior of your guests.

• Options
    l9il9i member

@Maggie0829 Yes, we get it.  You've spent zero time worrying about guests - good for you!

• Options
    l9i said:

@Maggie0829 Yes, we get it.  You've spent zero time worrying about guests - good for you!

Way to twist my words @l9i

• Options
    Thank you @eg72.

• Options
    I truly believe that every bride is different on what they worry about with guest behavior. I for one, would rather people don't take pics at my ceremony. I'm going to make the request and then not worry about it.

But I see others worrying about people getting wasted and embarrassing themselves - I don't worry about that. If they're drunk and dumb - that's on them.

I don't worry about guests wearing whatever they want. They're not my props, I don't really care about how people dress anywhere. But some people would notice this and dislike it.

It's all preference and not really something to judge others about.
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    eg72 said:
    l9i said:

Worrying about guests' behavior (which is something out of your control) is completely different than worrying about guests' comfort (which I can assure you, @Maggie0829 probably spent plenty of time doing).

Yes, I was talking about behavior, not comfort.  Sometimes people think about their guests behavior... it happens.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    l9i said:
    eg72 said:
    l9i said:

Worrying about guests' behavior (which is something out of your control) is completely different than worrying about guests' comfort (which I can assure you, @Maggie0829 probably spent plenty of time doing).

Yes, I was talking about behavior, not comfort.  Sometimes people think about their guests behavior... it happens.
    You can think about it all you want but to go as far and make actual request to control said behavior is a bit much.

Edited:  typing is hard.

• Options
    l9i said:
    eg72 said:
    l9i said:

I think that what she keep reiterating is that when it comes to the day of your wedding, all of the stuff going on around you isn't going to matter because when it comes down to it, you are focused on your FI. During the ceremony, if someone is taking pictures, texting, etc, it's really not going to matter in the grand scheme of things because you won't even notice. She is trying to point out that this is something that is fairly trivial and not worth worrying over.

• Options
    l9i said:
    KGold80 said:

Exactly! We will have full rights to all of our photos as well as an online photo gallery and will absolutely share them with our guests. You all are right in that the "fully present" thing does seem ridiculous. Thanks for pointing that out. However, like @phira, our ceremony space is quite small and there will be little room for the photographer to maneuver. Hopefully the aisle decorations will discourage folks from hopping into the aisle to take pictures because that would be a huge problem. Maybe we can just include a note in the program that all professional pictures will be made available via an online gallery after the wedding? That way guests can choose whether or not to rest their cameras based on promised future access to pictures?

That would be an idea too... anyone have any experience with this route?
    Our photographer had an online site and handed out little cards with the name of our wedding and password for access. If you wan to include that information in the program, you can put something as simple as "The professional pictures will be viewable at (photo website) after x date (because photographers do need to edit and stuff). The password is xyz"

Some people are still going to want to take pictures though for the sake of having them right away. Our photographer took about a week to edit the pictures, which seems pretty standard. I actually loved having the pictures people took at the wedding and reception right away while I waited for the professional ones. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    l9il9i member

I'm glad I got so much feedback!

Long story short, I will prb not post something in the program, because yes, people do what they want anyways.  I may note about pictures being available because most people want to see the pictures as soon as you get them because they are just as excited (I know I am to see others pictures).  I need to look into rules for the ceremony site though, because they may not allow flash, some places don't.

• Options
    OP, I understand where you're coming from. BF and I drove down to North Carolina for his cousins beach wedding last summer. One of the guests actually walked up the aisle, stood behind the officiant and took pics of the bride and groom on their phone during the ceremony!! I couldn't believe it. Almost every wedding I have been to has had some guest walking into the aisle for pics during the ceremony. 

Even with the above example, I wouldn't put anything in writing for your guests. I think the only thing you can do is maybe ask your officiant to say something about refraining from using phones during the ceremony (I'm kind of iffy on this too-- It should be common sense, but unfortunately that's not always the case). Just remember it reflects poorly on the guests, not on you. I don't think you will notice if people take a few pics from their seats...
  • Options

"We want you to be able to relax and have fun with us today!  This in mind, we invite you to put down your favorite devices and just be present in the moment with us.  Please leave your camera in your bag (we've got photography covered!), and put your cell phone on mute (we promise they'll call back!). 

We're happy to share our professional wedding photos later, but the greatest gift you can give us today is just being fully here with us in this sacred and special moment."

I find your note to be condescending.   Who says taking pictures is stressful?  Who says you can't be in the moment while still taking a picture?  Very kind of you to share your photographer's pictures, but often those prints are many times more expensive than one I can print on my own.

If find most people are respectful about turning off ringers and such.  People for ages have been taking pictures, the devices is the only thing that has changed.. Those who do not turn off ringers , answer calls or texts tend to ignore or plainly never even see such notes anyway.

For the record, I ALWAYS turn off my phone.  I rarely answer my phone in social situations to begin with, let alone at a ceremony or something similar.     That said, my mind wonders. I'm the one who is looking at what guests are wearing, I'm looking at my surroundings.    I will guarantee you I will NOT be on my phone or even taking pictures, but I doubt I will be fully in the moment by your definition, whatever that means?

If you want the officiant to remind people to turn off ringers, I'm okay with that.  Sometime genuinely forget they are on.  I would not go into the whole "turn them off so you can pay all your attention solely on us" thing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think that just asking guests to silence their ringers and to leave flash off is the best you can do.  I've never seen anybody get out and block the aisle at weddings, but then again, people astound me pretty much on the daily with the way they act. 

• Options
    l9il9i member
    qmda76 said:
    I think that just asking guests to silence their ringers and to leave flash off is the best you can do.  I've never seen anybody get out and block the aisle at weddings, but then again, people astound me pretty much on the daily with the way they act. 
    This is most likely the road I'll take.  And I can't agree more with your last statement! ha
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    lyndausvi said:

"We want you to be able to relax and have fun with us today!  This in mind, we invite you to put down your favorite devices and just be present in the moment with us.  Please leave your camera in your bag (we've got photography covered!), and put your cell phone on mute (we promise they'll call back!). 

We're happy to share our professional wedding photos later, but the greatest gift you can give us today is just being fully here with us in this sacred and special moment."

I find your note to be condescending.   Who says taking pictures is stressful?  Who says you can't be in the moment while still taking a picture?  Very kind of you to share your photographer's pictures, but often those prints are many times more expensive than one I can print on my own.

If find most people are respectful about turning off ringers and such.  People for ages have been taking pictures, the devices is the only thing that has changed.. Those who do not turn off ringers , answer calls or texts tend to ignore or plainly never even see such notes anyway.

For the record, I ALWAYS turn off my phone.  I rarely answer my phone in social situations to begin with, let alone at a ceremony or something similar.     That said, my mind wonders. I'm the one who is looking at what guests are wearing, I'm looking at my surroundings.    I will guarantee you I will NOT be on my phone or even taking pictures, but I doubt I will be fully in the moment by your definition, whatever that means?

If you want the officiant to remind people to turn off ringers, I'm okay with that.  Sometime genuinely forget they are on.  I would not go into the whole "turn them off so you can pay all your attention solely on us" thing.
    The script was something I found.  The discussion has been great to get opinions and ideas.. it helps me fully talk through the idea.  I personally wouldn't think anything of it, but that's me and I now see how others take it.  

Side note:  Love the picture of your dog.. I too have a little chunkster ;)
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    I agree with PP's. Also, why do you think everyone is going to be facebooking the event? Are you really cool and popular?
    It's not about the OP being cool and popular it's about some people who Facebook everything and a note or an announcement is not going to stop those people.  

Another thing to take into consideration is some people cannot turn off their phones for professional reasons.  I used to have a job where I did on-call.  When it was my turn I had to carry a pager and a cell phone and both had to be on.  I still went out and did stuff, I just made sure I had those two items, my own car, and I didn't drink.  I never went to a wedding while I was on-call (because it never came up) but if it was a local wedding and I was really close to who was getting married I probably would have gone.  I would have sat in the back or near a door so I could slip out if I got paged.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We are going to skip the pretense of "being present" and have our officiant address this before the ceremony begins. 

And to those who think guests never get in the way and ruin the professionals chance for a shot, you are wrong. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

There is one Aunt in particular who sees nothing wrong with interjecting herself and her iPad into any moment, with no thought to what's going on around her.  It's one thing to stay in your seat and take discreet pics with a camera or phone, but really, holding up a large iPad and blocking others will not fly.  FI would never forgive if she pulls that nonsense as I'm coming down the aisle and blocks his view.  And if it were to block the photographer and videographer from recording that moment... well I obviously wouldn't deal with it then, but the person who got in the way would be very sorry by the time I finished with them later. The ceremony is filled with irreplaceable moments.  You can't get them back. There is no do over.  After it's over, all we'll have are the photos/video.  I am astonished that any guest would think that their desire to take a photo is more important that the professional getting the key shots for the bride and groom. 

• Options

We are going to skip the pretense of "being present" and have our officiant address this before the ceremony begins. 

And to those who think guests never get in the way and ruin the professionals chance for a shot, you are wrong. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

There is one Aunt in particular who sees nothing wrong with interjecting herself and her iPad into any moment, with no thought to what's going on around her.  It's one thing to stay in your seat and take discreet pics with a camera or phone, but really, holding up a large iPad and blocking others will not fly.  FI would never forgive if she pulls that nonsense as I'm coming down the aisle and blocks his view.  And if it were to block the photographer and videographer from recording that moment... well I obviously wouldn't deal with it then, but the person who got in the way would be very sorry by the time I finished with them later. The ceremony is filled with irreplaceable moments.  You can't get them back. There is no do over.  After it's over, all we'll have are the photos/video.  I am astonished that any guest would think that their desire to take a photo is more important that the professional getting the key shots for the bride and groom. 

He would literally never forgive someone because they blocked his view, really? He will still see you at the alter (or front of the aisle). I would be mad but that is not a unforgiveable offense in my books. (Also, a reason we are doing a first look)

Yes, the ceremony is filled with irreplaceable moments but some of the most special moments will not be caught on camera.

No one is suggesting it doesn't happening. Only suggesting that when it comes down to it, the big picture, the bottom line, the grand scheme of things, you probably won't even notice because you will be caught up in the moment. And if some guests are really that rude and disrespectful, respectfull asking them to not do it won't prevent it from happening.

• Options
    l9il9i member
    afox007 said:

Of course there can be a do over. If pics turn out bad throw a PPD and you get twice the presents! 

What is a PPD?
  • Options
    I am definitely in the minority in this.  We got some good pictures throughout the whole day but aside from a family shot or two, photos weren't that important to me.  I would have been perfectly content with just one or two really good shots of H & I. 

I generally hate getting my picture taken but H said we had to have photographic evidence so we did the minimal amount that we could.  Some of my favorite shots were from friends.  I actually dislike a large majority of our candid shots from the cocktail hour/reception because our photogs managed to catch me every time I was laughing or singing, so it seems like my mouth was ALWAYS open.

Granted, I do like looking back at them now, but we have done NOTHING with our wedding pics.  We printed off some 4x6's via Shutterfly to include in Christmas cards; we did an album for his parents and I printed off shots of me and BMs for them.  We have one picture up in our house.  And that was a quick print off our laser printer to fill a frame.

• Options
    abbyj700 said:
    I truly believe that every bride is different on what they worry about with guest behavior. I for one, would rather people don't take pics at my ceremony. I'm going to make the request and then not worry about it.

But I see others worrying about people getting wasted and embarrassing themselves - I don't worry about that. If they're drunk and dumb - that's on them.

I don't worry about guests wearing whatever they want. They're not my props, I don't really care about how people dress anywhere. But some people would notice this and dislike it.

It's all preference and not really something to judge others about.
    I will judge someone if they try to control the behavior of their guests.  That includes whether or not they are allowed to take pictures.  Sorry, not sorry.
    Judge all you'd like. We're making a simple request and leaving it at that. 
  • Options
    foxishfoxish member
    edited April 2014
    I'd like to offer a different perspective. My venue did not allow photography inside the ceremony AT ALL. No guests, not even our professional photographer. We didn't know this until it was too late to change plans. My H's aunt who fancies herself a pro photog still took a photo during the procession and got the biggest stink eye you've ever seen from the pulpit. It was announced, it was in the bulletin, no photography in the worship hall area thingie.

So no matter what you do, people are going to do stupid shit. Just be graceful and ignore it if it happens.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    eg72 said:

He would literally never forgive someone because they blocked his view, really? He will still see you at the alter (or front of the aisle). I would be mad but that is not a unforgiveable offense in my books. (Also, a reason we are doing a first look)

Yes, the ceremony is filled with irreplaceable moments but some of the most special moments will not be caught on camera.

No one is suggesting it doesn't happening. Only suggesting that when it comes down to it, the big picture, the bottom line, the grand scheme of things, you probably won't even notice because you will be caught up in the moment. And if some guests are really that rude and disrespectful, respectfull asking them to not do it won't prevent it from happening.

It would alter the relationship with that person, yes. How arrogant for a guest to think they can intrude like that and think their wish to get a photo supersedes the professional / B&G's pics. I'm not going to knock FI because he's looking forward to the particular moment when he watches me come down the aisle.  Regardless of a first look and other moments, that is a special moment in and of itself, that really means something to us both.  Find it odd that I have to explain that.  I don't disagree that thoughtless dumbasses cannot be stopped.  But perhaps they can be slightly contained... in any case we feel it's worth the effort to try and then will obviously have to accept whatever happens. 

But if I'm going through the photos a month or two after the wedding and find out the handful of key moments during the ceremony were obstructed... it's not going to be pretty.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards