Chit Chat

How did you and your FI/ spouse/ boyfriend/ girlfriend meet?

We were set up by a mutual friend. She expects a shout-out at the wedding, which is fine by me! I was supposed to set her up a few weeks later but before I could she met the man of her dreams through other mutual friends!

Re: How did you and your FI/ spouse/ boyfriend/ girlfriend meet?

• Drunk at a bar watching Sunday NFL football.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We actually met through my ex-boyfriend back in 2008. Ex and I were sort of dating at the time, but not serious. FI and I started dating last year. 
  • We met online, just before Christmas.

That would be the whole (boring) story, however: I was cleaning out my email about a month into our relationship and found that he had actually messaged me on a different dating site 6 months earlier! I absolutely hated that other site, and was only on it for about 2 days before I closed my account; I never even opened most of the emails I got from the site, including his. I think it's hilarious and he says he's never going to stop teasing me about ignoring him the first time :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I met my FI on the internet, boring story, I know!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • We were both RAs in college on the same campus. We were both working in freshman dorms, and the staffs from those buildings were considered one department. We kind of hated each other the first year we worked together. The next year, we ended up in the same building and both hated the rest of our staff with a burning passion. We had both ended long-term relationships over the summer, so we spent a lot of time bitching about our exes and our coworkers. That led to being really close friends. Then we got really drunk on my 21st birthday and decided that we should date just to fuck with our friends' heads (hey, we were really hammered - 21 shots!). It didn't take long to realize we really DID like dating, and we're still together more than 12 years later.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We met online through Match.  He paid for his subscription just so he could read the email I sent him after he sent me a wink.
  • Through a worldwide running and drinking club. He was part of a group near the one I belong to, came for a visit, and kept coming back!
  • doeydo said:
    We started chatting in a Tim Hortons.  I think my Canadian is showing.  

lol Yup- I've never been to one (I live in the states) but I see it on the hockey rink advertisments.

• FI is my best friend's husband's best friend and she hung out with him quite a but b/c of her H (Bf at the time) and thought we would hit it off.  He is the best man at our wedding and she is a BM.

Anniversary

• e-Harmony. Thank you, Dr. Warren...your obnoxiously long "personality profile" worked :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We met in band at college - I played the tuba, he played the saxophone (bari? tenor? don't remember what he was playing that semester). We actually met my first day of classes but didn't start dating until I was in my fourth year.
  • We met in college through our roommates who wanted one of the rooms for themselves so they could have some privacy *winkwink* so they threw us together so we'd hang out in the other room.  (This became the plan after they figured out that hooking up on the top bunk of a bunk bed while the bottom bunk is occupied by your roommate is awkward and WRONG.)  They didn't make it past sophomore year as a couple, she cheated on him with maybe 3 other guys.  H's ex roommate came to our wedding last year and I think he was glad my ex roommate wasn't even invited.
  • We met at a coffee shop. It was one of my favorite places in the city, a hip little coffee and dessert bar that serves amazing cakes. One Saturday morning I was feeling like a fatty and went to get some cake, and we were the only two people in the restaurant. So we started talking and eventually exchanged numbers. We had such a great time talking that I completely forgot I wanted cake.

The next weekend he asked me to a Braves game, so that was our official first date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We met online. Our first date was horrible. I was so charmed by his emails that I agreed to a second date.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We met on OkCupid. We're also superoriginal.

Anniversary
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    He taught me to play an instrument in 8th grade. I guess he was in love with me for a few months before a friend set us up. I just dated him because it was cool to date older high-schoolers.

Then I fell in love with him back, and we have been together ever since!

Side note: The friend that set us up hated me for actually going for it. She was hoping I would say no and she could get him on the rebound. She still hates me about it 10 years later. 

EDIT: I realized that the dating older high school thing sounds creepy. He's two years older than me, he's not a creepo. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We met through a mutual friend. I randomly started drunk texting him one night after my friend said I should go out with him. Luckily I didn't scare him away and we went out the next night and have been together ever since.

• We were lab partners in a Biology class our Freshman year of college.  He sat next to be me on the first day and then every class after that.  We were best friends all throughout college.  I was in a long-term relationship when we met and he had just gotten out of a bad relationship.  When my relationship ended, he and I started hanging out more...he was single, I was single... :)
    Anniversary

• We also met online. I wasn't on the site for very long before meeting him (I think about 2 months) but I had already been out with a few guys. When I first met my FI I remember thinking how genuine he was (esp compared to some of the creeps online). He really stood out to me!

Our first date was dinner and that date was so much fun we kept extending it! Dinner, then drinks, then gelato, then a game of pool. I guess we both just didn't want it to end :)

• We met at a bowling alley...super classy. I was there watching friends bowl in a league (ok fine...I was there to drink) and he was bowling on the opposing team. I thought he was the cutest guy I had ever seen. Three months later we were engaged! And two weeks from Saturday we'll be married, hooray!

...does the fact that it was candlepin bowling make it better...?
  • @hisgirlfriday13 That is really cool! Crazy little world that you took his job and it was meant to be!

@kkleigh10 Yes that does make it better because it means you're from an awesome state in New England like me lol

• lol, happy to see I am not alone in the bowling alley thing, @kkleigh10.

We met on a bowling team through a social sports league in NYC. We both knew the girl who was organizing the team- they ran marathons together for a couple years but I had just met her a few weeks prior at a party. I liked her so we decided to be friends and I joined her team. Fast forward to the 2nd or 3rd week of bowling, we realized we lived 2 blocks from each other. Went out for drinks that week, then a "real" date the next week. Been together ever since. It will be 3.5 years exactly on the day we get married!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards